PDA

View Full Version : FINALLY!: Locals Crack Down On Illegal Immigration

Pale Rider
03-29-2008, 06:37 AM
Locals Crack Down On Illegal Immigration

By MONICA RHOR, Associated Press Writer
41 minutes ago

HOUSTON - Mayra Figueroa — a naturalized U.S. citizen, community organizer and licensed driver — had no reason to fear being arrested, no need to worry about deported.

Then she was pulled over by a Houston police officer, who told her he found it suspicious that a Latina was driving a late-model car. The first thing the officer requested? Figueroa's Social Security card, as proof of citizenship.

Until now, few local police and sheriff's departments wanted any part of enforcing federal civil immigration laws. They had their hands full with local crime — and needed witnesses and victims to work with them without fear.

But as local governments feel mounting frustration over illegal immigration, that hands-off attitude is disappearing. More than 100 local law enforcement agencies — including Los Angeles and Orange counties in California and Maricopa County in Arizona, which includes Phoenix — have begun or are waiting for training to help the Department of Homeland Security root out illegal immigrants and hand them over for deportation.

Story continues here... (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080329/ap_on_re_us/policing_immigrants;_ylt=Ajtyy7oCDrgYZlkpllSg1yoE1 vAI)

red states rule
03-29-2008, 06:41 AM
Locals Crack Down On Illegal Immigration

By MONICA RHOR, Associated Press Writer
41 minutes ago

HOUSTON - Mayra Figueroa — a naturalized U.S. citizen, community organizer and licensed driver — had no reason to fear being arrested, no need to worry about deported.

Then she was pulled over by a Houston police officer, who told her he found it suspicious that a Latina was driving a late-model car. The first thing the officer requested? Figueroa's Social Security card, as proof of citizenship.

Until now, few local police and sheriff's departments wanted any part of enforcing federal civil immigration laws. They had their hands full with local crime — and needed witnesses and victims to work with them without fear.

But as local governments feel mounting frustration over illegal immigration, that hands-off attitude is disappearing. More than 100 local law enforcement agencies — including Los Angeles and Orange counties in California and Maricopa County in Arizona, which includes Phoenix — have begun or are waiting for training to help the Department of Homeland Security root out illegal immigrants and hand them over for deportation.

Story continues here... (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080329/ap_on_re_us/policing_immigrants;_ylt=Ajtyy7oCDrgYZlkpllSg1yoE1 vAI)

Will John McCain be leading the protest that is sure to happen within the next 48 hours?

Pale Rider
03-29-2008, 06:43 AM
Will John McCain be leading the protest that is sure to happen within the next 48 hours?

If he wants to be the next President, he better get his ass behind this.

red states rule
03-29-2008, 06:45 AM
If he wants to be the next President, he better get his ass behind this.

As I posted on another thrwad - I have all the confidence in McCain to blow it in Novemebr

Did you see the speech he gave this week?

Global warming, closing GITMO, wanting to reach out to other countries. Hell Hillary or Obama could have given the speech

I do not have a cluse what McCain is thinking - and neither does McCain

Pale Rider
03-29-2008, 07:08 AM
As I posted on another thrwad - I have all the confidence in McCain to blow it in Novemebr

Did you see the speech he gave this week?

Global warming, closing GITMO, wanting to reach out to other countries. Hell Hillary or Obama could have given the speech

I do not have a cluse what McCain is thinking - and neither does McCain

I don't like him rsr, and I'm having a real tough time just 'thinking' about voting for him. I still may not. He just has too many liberal leanings for me.

red states rule
03-29-2008, 07:11 AM
I don't like him rsr, and I'm having a real tough time just 'thinking' about voting for him. I still may not. He just has too many liberal leanings for me.

I know the feeling Pale. I started to have second thought after his interview with Sean Hannity

But the speech he gave a few days ago pissed me off.

Rush and operation Chaos gave McCain a huge advantage, and this he pisses it away with liberal bulshit talking points

I am back thinking about voting for a thrd person for President

PM me your last name - you might have my vote in November

Pale Rider
03-29-2008, 07:27 AM
I know the feeling Pale. I started to have second thought after his interview with Sean Hannity

But the speech he gave a few days ago pissed me off.

Rush and operation Chaos gave McCain a huge advantage, and this he pisses it away with liberal bulshit talking points

I am back thinking about voting for a thrd person for President

PM me your last name - you might have my vote in November

I have two major things influencing my vote in November. Number 1, I want somebody who's going to be tough on the illegal aliens, and that means no amnesty and get the fence built, and number two, get us the hell out of Iraq, as soon as it's safe to leave, and mccain isn't anywhere near doing any of that, so.... there's still a very high probability I'll vote third party as well rsr.

red states rule
03-29-2008, 07:29 AM
I have two major things influencing my vote in November. Number 1, I want somebody who's going to be tough on the illegal aliens, and that means no amnesty and get the fence built, and number two, get us the hell out of Iraq, as soon as it's safe to leave, and mccain isn't anywhere near doing any of that, so.... there's still a very high probability I'll vote third party as well rsr.

Well we disagree on the war Pale - but we can agree to disagree on that

After his speech this week, i do not know if i can't take McCAin at his word he will veto McCain - Kennedy

I did like it when he said NO EARMARKS

Pale Rider
03-29-2008, 07:40 AM
Well we disagree on the war Pale - but we can agree to disagree on that

After his speech this week, i do not know if i casn take McCAin at his word he will veto McCain - Kennedy

I did like it when he said NO EARMARKS

Yeah I agree with Ron Paul. Where does it say in our constitution that we're supposed to invade countries, be an occupying force and engage in nation building? It doesn't. I was listening to this author who was being interviewed for a book she wrote called 'The Three Trillion Dollar War,' and she lays out in detail how this war, even if we pulled out now, how the repercussions of it could very well cost us three trillion dollars before it's all said and done. That's just obscene. Think of what we could have done with that money here at home.

Yeah I know we disagree on the war, and that's cool. I just think that after four thousand dead and five years, we have no more reason to be there. We accomplished what we went there to do long, looooong ago.

red states rule
03-29-2008, 07:43 AM
Yeah I agree with Ron Paul. Where does it say in our constitution that we're supposed to invade countries, be an occupying force and engage in nation building? It doesn't. I was listening to this author who was being interviewed for a book she wrote called 'The Three Trillion Dollar War,' and she lays out in detail how this war, even if we pulled out now, how the repercussions of it could very well cost us three trillion dollars before it's all said and done. That's just obscene. Think of what we could have done with that money here at home.

Yeah I know we disagree on the war, and that's cool. I just think that after four thousand dead and five years, we have no more reason to be there. We accomplished what we went there to do long, looooong ago.

If we leave now Pale, the terrorists will have an entire country as a base of operations. They will have oil money to finance their operations. People who sided and trusted the US will be slaughtered. Iran will have a great influence over Iraq

I do not think you want that to happen

Iraq police and military are aking progress. I want the troops home as much as you do - but the job needs to be finished

Pale Rider
03-29-2008, 07:49 AM
If we leave now Pale, the terrorists will have an entire country as a base of operations. They will have oil money to finance their operations. People who sided and trusted the US will be slaughtered. Iran will have a great influence over Iraq

I do not think you want that to happen

Iraq police and military are aking progress. I want the troops home as much as you do - but the job needs to be finished

I don't think so... I guess that's where our opinions differ. I think Iraq can take care of itself, now. In fact, if they can't by now, they never will.

red states rule
03-29-2008, 07:51 AM
I don't think so... I guess that's where our opinions differ. I think Iraq can take care of itself, now. In fact, if they can't by now, they never will.

Well, we needed help from the French to win our independence from the British

These people were under Saddam's thumb for over 30 years Pale

If we risk surrender to the terrorists, it is a mistake that may haunt the world for many years

Pale Rider
03-29-2008, 03:01 PM
Well, we needed help from the French to win our independence from the British

These people were under Saddam's thumb for over 30 years Pale

If we risk surrender to the terrorists, it is a mistake that may haunt the world for many years

Nobody is surrendering anything. We did what we went there to do. Bush gave his victory speech years ago. We have no business as an occupying force there. Our constitution does not back such actions, without even making mention of nation building. That's not in our constitution either. Iraq is either able to take care of itself now, or it never will be. Statements like mccains, "I don't care if it takes another 100 years," just irks the shit out of me. That's just war mongering, plain and simple.

We need an exit strategy, to implement immediately.

But to get back to the topic of THIS thread, I am so glad to see this trend of detaining and deporting illegal aliens. Deportation through attrition. Who was it that said that would never work? It may be unpractical to "round up" twenty million illegal aliens, but it surely isn't impractical to detain and deport them every time law enforcement comes in contact with one. One at a time. Best way to do it, and it works.

5stringJeff
03-29-2008, 03:05 PM
Nobody is surrendering anything. We did what we went there to do. Bush gave his victory speech years ago. We have no business as an occupying force there. Our constitution does not back such actions, without even making mention of nation building. That's not in our constitution either. Iraq is either able to take care of itself now, or it never will be. Statements like mccains, "I don't care if it takes another 100 years," just irks the shit out of me. That's just war mongering, plain and simple.

We need an exit strategy, to implement immediately.

But to get back to the topic of THIS thread, I am so glad to see this trend of detaining and deporting illegal aliens. Deportation through attrition. Who was it that said that would never work? It may be unpractical to "round up" twenty million illegal aliens, but it surely isn't impractical to detain and deport them every time law enforcement comes in contact with one. One at a time. Best way to do it, and it works.

Absolutely right, on both counts.

LiberalNation
03-29-2008, 03:19 PM
One at a time. Best way to do it, and it works.
It also works to stop people from reporting crimes and testifying at trials. Not to mention trampling on citizens rights. Do you carry your social security card and birth certificate around with you everywhere. People shouldn't be stopped by the cops, asked for their proper papers, and thrown in jail if they can't produce them on the spot. That sound like a facist state to anyone else.

jimnyc
03-29-2008, 03:36 PM
It also works to stop people from reporting crimes and testifying at trials. Not to mention trampling on citizens rights. Do you carry your social security card and birth certificate around with you everywhere. People shouldn't be stopped by the cops, asked for their proper papers, and thrown in jail if they can't produce them on the spot. That sound like a facist state to anyone else.

The "RealID" would make it so that it isn't necessary to have a SS card or BC on you. If you aren't a criminal or illegal immigrant, then there shouldn't be an issue. I've been stopped for "no reason" many times, and have been asked to provide ID and credentials at check points just as many times. Never went to jail for not being a legal citizen though!

5stringJeff
03-29-2008, 03:58 PM

Deporting immigrants isn't trampling on citizen's rights, because illegals aren't citizens.

Pale Rider
03-29-2008, 04:00 PM

Illegal aliens are NOT citizens, and they don't have rights. So if they don't like the way things are here, then they can go back where they came from. That's the whole idea. Don't like it here, well you're here illegally anyway, get the fuck out.

LiberalNation
03-29-2008, 06:40 PM
did ya read your own link.

Pale Rider
03-29-2008, 11:23 PM
did ya read your own link.

So what? She was legal and didn't get deported... :dunno:

gabosaurus
03-29-2008, 11:35 PM

How many of you carry your social security card on you? Don't everyone speak up at once.

This is racial profiling. You can't stop someone just because you think someone might be illegal. It's illegal.
I don't care if they raid work places or day labor offices. But to be stopping random people on the street smacks of Nazi terror tactics.

There is even a precedent. Last year, some off duty police working as private security tried a mass bust of a lawn care company based in El Monte. Figured a large group of Mexicans working yard care had to be illegals.
Wrong! They were all legal. The law firm that my cousin Dahlia's husband works for sued the guys and the homeowner's association that made the complaint and won in court. It's going to cost all of them megabucks.

LiberalNation
03-29-2008, 11:35 PM
So you'd be okay with cops throwing you in jail for no reason while your papers were rounded up. Somehow I doubt that, you'd be pissed deported or no.

gabosaurus
03-29-2008, 11:42 PM
If anyone here was stopped by police, could you prove on the spot that you are a legal resident of this country?

red states rule
03-30-2008, 06:04 AM
How many of you carry your social security card on you? Don't everyone speak up at once.

This is racial profiling. You can't stop someone just because you think someone might be illegal. It's illegal.
I don't care if they raid work places or day labor offices. But to be stopping random people on the street smacks of Nazi terror tactics.

There is even a precedent. Last year, some off duty police working as private security tried a mass bust of a lawn care company based in El Monte. Figured a large group of Mexicans working yard care had to be illegals.
Wrong! They were all legal. The law firm that my cousin Dahlia's husband works for sued the guys and the homeowner's association that made the complaint and won in court. It's going to cost all of them megabucks.

I carry my SS card along with mulitipal forms of ID

I know why the left is now going to bat for illegals. Yiou see them as an untapped voting blck. First you clowns get them a drivers license. In most states when you apply for a DL you then have the option to register to vote.

If the illegal says they are a legal citizen it goes through. The states do not check to see if they are telling the truth

Now we have illegals voting in our elections. They will go with the Dems who want to give illegals the same access to their womb to tomb handouts as they do for US citizens

Pale Rider
03-30-2008, 07:58 AM
So you'd be okay with cops throwing you in jail for no reason while your papers were rounded up. Somehow I doubt that, you'd be pissed deported or no.

If anyone here was stopped by police, could you prove on the spot that you are a legal resident of this country?

Yup. Although "they say" people shouldn't carry their SS card around with them. I do.

And just for the record, I agree with you, no one should be pulled over "for no reason."

Gaffer
03-30-2008, 08:04 AM
I carry my SS card along with mulitipal forms of ID

I know why the left is now going to bat for illegals. Yiou see them as an untapped voting blck. First you clowns get them a drivers license. In most states when you apply for a DL you then have the option to register to vote.

If the illegal says they are a legal citizen it goes through. The states do not check to see if they are telling the truth

Now we have illegals voting in our elections. They will go with the Dems who want to give illegals the same access to their womb to tomb handouts as they do for US citizens

It's what I have said for years. the big business repubs want illegals here for the cheap labor, the libs want them for a voting block. Those are the two reasons that the laws are not enforced.

Pale Rider
03-30-2008, 08:18 AM
It's what I have said for years. the big business repubs want illegals here for the cheap labor, the libs want them for a voting block. Those are the two reasons that the laws are not enforced.

That's true Gaffer, but it's also changing, as evidenced by the article I posted. Illegals cost local governments more money than they contribute, so state and local governments are starting to do something about it. Washington be damned.

JohnDoe
03-30-2008, 09:09 AM
Yup. Although "they say" people shouldn't carry their SS card around with them. I do.

And just for the record, I agree with you, no one should be pulled over "for no reason."

fI

just had to get my social security card reissued...

the Social Security Office, our gvt, recommends that you DO NOT CARRY your SS card in your wallet. You shouldn't carry it Pale, for identity theft reasons....

jd

red states rule
03-30-2008, 09:13 AM
fI

just had to get my social security card reissued...

the Social Security Office, our gvt, recommends that you DO NOT CARRY your SS card in your wallet. You shouldn't carry it Pale, for identity theft reasons....

jd

Why would you want to listen to the government? Besides with Lifelock nobody can use my SS# except me

JohnDoe
03-30-2008, 09:18 AM
good morning rsr

what is lifelock?

jd

red states rule
03-30-2008, 09:20 AM
good morning rsr

what is lifelock?

jd

I do not want to violate the rules - so I will PM you

DragonStryk72
03-30-2008, 01:49 PM
Okay, first off, he actually states the only reason she got pulled over was skin. The only she was pulled over was being a "latina driving a late model car", by the cop's own admission.

Yes, she's illegal, and will be deported, but that's not where I'm looking. If he has caught 1 illegal like this, then he has pulled over others who are citizens, and directly violated the 4th amendment right to protection from unreasonable search and seizure.

He does not mention a broken tail light, speeding, out of date tags, reckless driving of any kind, not even so much as a seat belt infraction, just being a mexican woman in an old car.

And I'm sorry, but this approach won't do crap, except now, there will be more fuel for the fire, because we're talking about racial profiling, as well as a distinct form of racism in this. The cops know the places that hire illegals, but choose not to acquire proof, and instead pull this idiotic crap that's just going to hurt the cause in the long run.

JohnDoe
03-30-2008, 02:13 PM
Okay, first off, he actually states the only reason she got pulled over was skin. The only she was pulled over was being a "latina driving a late model car", by the cop's own admission.

Yes, she's illegal, and will be deported, but that's not where I'm looking. If he has caught 1 illegal like this, then he has pulled over others who are citizens, and directly violated the 4th amendment right to protection from unreasonable search and seizure.

He does not mention a broken tail light, speeding, out of date tags, reckless driving of any kind, not even so much as a seat belt infraction, just being a mexican woman in an old car.

And I'm sorry, but this approach won't do crap, except now, there will be more fuel for the fire, because we're talking about racial profiling, as well as a distinct form of racism in this. The cops know the places that hire illegals, but choose not to acquire proof, and instead pull this idiotic crap that's just going to hurt the cause in the long run.

It's worse than what you are saying...SHE WAS NOT AN ILLEGAL, the woman pulled over was a naturalized citizen....

I agree, it IS racial profiling and it is against the 4th amendment, since he had NO OTHER reason for pulling her over.

jd

Pale Rider
03-30-2008, 02:28 PM
Racial profiling is a good thing. They should do it all the time.

gabosaurus
03-30-2008, 02:30 PM
Why don't they go to the source? Crack down on the businesses who employ illegals.
Mostly because the businesses can resort to political and economic power in the community. It is easier to round up individuals.

If you have a poisonous tree, why keep breaking off small branches? Kill the tree.

JohnDoe
03-30-2008, 02:40 PM
Racial profiling is a good thing. They should do it all the time.Gabby and Dragon hit on what the police should do, make frequent stops at the businesses that hire them...

gotta get to the root of the problem or the weeds will still keep coming back!

pluck out or kill the root, no more weeds! (illegals)

jd

DragonStryk72
03-30-2008, 02:47 PM
Racial profiling is a good thing. They should do it all the time.

So you would be okay with getting pulled over each day because they're "looking for someone who matches your description" or becuase you're "driving a late model car"? I liked the line from the movie Hurricane: "We're looking for a couple of black guys?"

"Any in particular, or just any two?"

My friend, Sarah, born and raised in Texas, like her mother and grandmother before her, has been getting pulled over as well, for the same kind of bull shit reasons as this woman was. She was not driving badly, doing nothing wrong, just driving her truck, and has had to go through this crap a couple times now. She is completely legal, she is not doing a single thing improperly, and therefore, the police have no right to pull her over.

Lizabeth
03-30-2008, 04:10 PM
Bad example...first, it is from a movie created for entertainment purposes; second, I am from NJ and old enough during that time to know based upon the evidence and not a technicality, he was guilty of the crimes accused and third, law enforcement must, I repeat must employ "profiling" that includes a number of criteria including but not limited to RACE to apprehend CRIMINALS. And once again, ILLEGAL Aliens are CRIMINALS!!!! To quote Ann Landers....Wake up and smell the Coffee Folks!

gabosaurus
03-30-2008, 07:53 PM
Yes, illegals are criminals. But aren't those who employ them criminals?

Pale, I see you agree with profiling. Should police stop all bikers? Since motorcycle groups are known to be troublemakers. Hells Angels and all.

DragonStryk72
03-31-2008, 01:13 AM
Bad example...first, it is from a movie created for entertainment purposes; second, I am from NJ and old enough during that time to know based upon the evidence and not a technicality, he was guilty of the crimes accused and third, law enforcement must, I repeat must employ "profiling" that includes a number of criteria including but not limited to RACE to apprehend CRIMINALS. And once again, ILLEGAL Aliens are CRIMINALS!!!! To quote Ann Landers....Wake up and smell the Coffee Folks!

to quote the cop "he found it suspicious that a Latina was driving a late-model car"

That was it, and I'm saying this again since there is a selective hearing problem here: "He does not mention a broken tail light, speeding, out of date tags, reckless driving of any kind, not even so much as a seat belt infraction, just being a mexican woman in an old car."

So that's probable cause now? You drive a POS, so you must be a criminal, it couldn't possibly be that you're poor?

To quote out courts: Innocent until proven Guilty. She wasn't even illegal, she was naturalized, she just didn't carry every single document on herself since birth. shit I don't carry my SS card, it sits at home, in a small safe so I don't lose it, or damage it. So what, I get sent to Ireland for that?

This kind of profiling is not only wrong, it leads to pissing off large groups of people. Houston isn't small, and people are not going to just keep putting up with their rights being stepped on, like my friend Sarah (another part of the selective hearing program). It's also Texas, and when they get an attitude about something, they get it BIG TIME.

Lizabeth
04-01-2008, 10:47 PM
to quote the cop "he found it suspicious that a Latina was driving a late-model car"

That was it, and I'm saying this again since there is a selective hearing problem here: "He does not mention a broken tail light, speeding, out of date tags, reckless driving of any kind, not even so much as a seat belt infraction, just being a mexican woman in an old car."

So that's probable cause now? You drive a POS, so you must be a criminal, it couldn't possibly be that you're poor?

To quote out courts: Innocent until proven Guilty. She wasn't even illegal, she was naturalized, she just didn't carry every single document on herself since birth. shit I don't carry my SS card, it sits at home, in a small safe so I don't lose it, or damage it. So what, I get sent to Ireland for that?

This kind of profiling is not only wrong, it leads to pissing off large groups of people. Houston isn't small, and people are not going to just keep putting up with their rights being stepped on, like my friend Sarah (another part of the selective hearing program). It's also Texas, and when they get an attitude about something, they get it BIG TIME.

You know what I really don't care how many large groups are "pissed off". Also didn't you ever hear of a vehicle stop to check credentials? If this woman was riding around without her drivers license or any other ID yes, the officer was right to be suspicious. the only people I know who never have ID on them when asked are usually up to NFG. Here in NJ $50 gets you a SS Card, Insurance Card, Drivers license. I've seen too many criminals get off on this profiling technicality. It is BS. We had two black guys driving a BMW on RT 80, right lane, Ohio Plates and driving under the limit. Odd? Yes. Troopers pulled them over, requested permission to search the vehicle - subject's gave consent. 12 Bricks of Heroin in the trunk. Sentenced to NJ State Prision. Six months later reversed convicition because of so called RACIAL PROFILING. Well that just put two drug dealers back on the steet and the rat bastards are now suing the State of NJ!!!!

I say profile all you want - not a problem when we want to profile a sex offender, pedofile or serial killer. Oops I forgot profiling of those crimes indicates the perpitraitor is usually White. Guess that is okay!

DragonStryk72
04-02-2008, 12:10 AM
You know what I really don't care how many large groups are "pissed off". Also didn't you ever hear of a vehicle stop to check credentials? If this woman was riding around without her drivers license or any other ID yes, the officer was right to be suspicious. the only people I know who never have ID on them when asked are usually up to NFG. Here in NJ $50 gets you a SS Card, Insurance Card, Drivers license. I've seen too many criminals get off on this profiling technicality. It is BS. We had two black guys driving a BMW on RT 80, right lane, Ohio Plates and driving under the limit. Odd? Yes. Troopers pulled them over, requested permission to search the vehicle - subject's gave consent. 12 Bricks of Heroin in the trunk. Sentenced to NJ State Prision. Six months later reversed convicition because of so called RACIAL PROFILING. Well that just put two drug dealers back on the steet and the rat bastards are now suing the State of NJ!!!!

I say profile all you want - not a problem when we want to profile a sex offender, pedofile or serial killer. Oops I forgot profiling of those crimes indicates the perpitraitor is usually White. Guess that is okay!

Didn't you ever hear of probable cause? there wasn't any. This wasn't someone who was described as wearing gang colors, driving in any manner that would raise suspicion, nothing, period, just a "latina driving a late model car", in the cops own words. That was it.

Pale Rider
04-02-2008, 12:36 AM
Yes, illegals are criminals. But aren't those who employ them criminals?

Pale, I see you agree with profiling. Should police stop all bikers? Since motorcycle groups are known to be troublemakers. Hells Angels and all.

Well, they do pull club bikers over for no reason, other than fishing or harassment. I know, been there done that.

But it's wrong, on any level, to just indiscriminately pull someone over because of their race. Keep an eye on them, yes. Pull them over when they've done nothing wrong, no, that's wrong.

But in the same vein of this topic, so do I think it's wrong for law enforcement to set up these Friday and Saturday night gauntlets that cars have to run that are stopped for no reason, other than the law dogs to force people to blow on a drunk tester, when they haven't done anything wrong either.