PDA

View Full Version : Another Unconservative Moment from John McCain

stephanie
03-30-2008, 02:46 AM
:poke:there is so little difference between these three candidates running for President..........we are so totally screwed..

March 30, 2008
Another Unconservative Moment from John McCain
By Jeffrey Schmidt
John McCain's unconservativism was on display this past Wednesday in Los Angeles. Perhaps not in all ways, but in one telling way. Before a gathering of the World Affairs Council, the Arizona senator outlined his thinking on national security and foreign policy. The speech's larger elements have received plenty of coverage. One element did not.

McCain made a stalwart's argument for finishing the job in Iraq. That's a good thing, and expected. He made a case for greater collaboration with America's allies. That's a nod to the prevailing sentiment that Cowboy America needs to become Settler America-you know, an America that spends endless hours over bottomless cups of coffee chatting with allies about what it should do with their permission to defend itself and defeat its enemies. Call it the "Pretty Please" approach to national security. And good luck in getting that permission. One can't help think that it was McCain window-dressing to either preempt or mollify critics. Let's say he gets a pass for that little maneuver.

But there was one passage in his speech that stuck out like a palm tree in the Arctic. The passage where he discusses the threat of global warming. (http://www.johnmccain.com/Informing/News/Speeches/872473dd-9ccb-4ab4-9d0d-ec54f0e7a497.htm) No window dressing here. The Senator has discussed it regularly. So he must be a true believer. And if not a true believer, then McCain is taking a lot of bad advice from his pal, Joe Lieberman, and other liberals, who he enjoys cordial across-the-aisle relationships with.

In either case, it's no small thing. If McCain wins the presidency, we can expect this self-described straight talker to act on his convictions. That means translating what he believes into policy. His global warming proposal includes the "cap-and-trade" (http://www.heritage.org/Research/EnergyandEnvironment/bg2075.cfm) mechanism that he mentioned. Just as there are no tax increases in the liberal lexicon-merely "revenue enhancements" or obligations by the rich to pay their fair share-there are no higher taxes in the world of global warming hucksters-err, apostles.

But in unliberal America, a tax is a tax; penalties are penalties.

Simply put, the mechanism would impose limits on industrial emissions. Industries would be granted allowances. Within that framework, an industry would have the prerogative of "buying" allowances from others that have underutilized their emissions quotas. Anyway it's sliced, cap-and-trade saddles industries with substantially higher costs for doing business, costs that will inevitably be passed along to consumers. Those costs will range across the spectrum. That includes the cost of cars, gas, housing, home heating, groceries, TVs, airline travel-you name it. Anything that carries the label "Made in the USA" will come with a heftier price tag.

Take that, middle class America.

Snip:
McCain's global warming proposal, if enacted, would cause great damage to the economy, thereby undercutting the nation's ability to press the War on Terror or do whatever else the nation needs to do for its protection.

It is Reagan conservatism, not patchwork McCainism, which has irrefutably demonstrated its success as a governing philosophy. It is to the former, not the latter, that conservatives owe their true allegiance.

In rejecting McCain's global warming position, conservatives, above all, remain true to themselves.

read the rest..
http://www.americanthinker.com/2008/03/another_unconservative_moment.html

PostmodernProphet
03-30-2008, 05:20 AM
question me this......the irrational screaming about global warming aside.....is it a conservative principle that pumping shit into the atmosphere is a GOOD thing?.....free market capitalism does NOT mean that we have to permit corporations to do whatever they want with the environment......

red states rule
03-30-2008, 05:25 AM
question me this......the irrational screaming about global warming aside.....is it a conservative principle that pumping shit into the atmosphere is a GOOD thing?.....

There is NO GLOBAL WARMING CRISIS

Man does not have the ability to change the climate. This global warming bullshite is nothing but another money scam. To suck more of our tax dollars out of wallets and give it to government

PostmodernProphet
03-30-2008, 08:22 AM
There is NO GLOBAL WARMING CRISIS

Man does not have the ability to change the climate. This global warming bullshite is nothing but another money scam. To suck more of our tax dollars out of wallets and give it to government

apparently you have trouble reading....I have never believed that man has the ability to change the climate......that's why I wrote, "the irrational screaming about global warming aside".....thus your reply responds to nothing I have stated.....try again.....is it a conservative principle to pollute our environment?.......let me make it easy for you....it's a rhetorical question.....polluting the environment is NOT a conservative principle......thus, why would taking action to reduce pollution be an 'un-conservative' moment?.......

red states rule
03-30-2008, 09:26 AM
apparently you have trouble reading....I have never believed that man has the ability to change the climate......that's why I wrote, "the irrational screaming about global warming aside".....thus your reply responds to nothing I have stated.....try again.....is it a conservative principle to pollute our environment?.......let me make it easy for you....it's a rhetorical question.....polluting the environment is NOT a conservative principle......thus, why would taking action to reduce pollution be an 'un-conservative' moment?.......

McCain believes we can't build a fence and keep illegals out of the country - but he thinks pumping government money into the scam of global warming will stop the Earth from burning up

PostmodernProphet
03-30-2008, 11:25 AM
McCain believes we can't build a fence and keep illegals out of the country - but he thinks pumping government money into the scam of global warming will stop the Earth from burning up

I see you are having a major problem answering the question....let's try a third time.....

"why would taking action to reduce pollution be an 'un-conservative' moment?"

and now you have brought up another.....when did reducing immigration become a conservative principle.....

DragonStryk72
03-30-2008, 11:35 AM

Well, he believes we can't build a 700 mile fence to cover a 2100 mile border to keep illegals out

red states rule
03-31-2008, 05:30 AM
I see you are having a major problem answering the question....let's try a third time.....

and now you have brought up another.....when did reducing immigration become a conservative principle.....

McCain has said global warming is real - which is bullshit. He wants to pour more tax money into this rathole, when there is no problem to solve

Is this global warming in action?

Global Warming Update: Snowfall Records Being Broken in New England
By Noel Sheppard | February 28, 2008 - 11:12 ET

Remember all those articles last year about how ski resorts were going to go bankrupt, and that folks with vacation homes near such areas were going to take a bath as global warming significantly reduced snowfall levels?

Well, ski enthusiasts and investors around the country should rest assured that this media hype was just as accurate as all those hurricane forecasts in 2006 and 2007.

In fact, much as what has occurred in Wisconsin this year, parts of New England have experienced more snow than ever in history as reported by USA Today late Wednesday evening:

Another snowstorm swept across New England on Wednesday, toppling seasonal snowfall records and dumping so much heavy snow on buildings that some collapsed under the weight.

In Vermont, Burlington's 7.6 inches pushed the official snowfall past the February record of 34.3 inches and the winter record from December, January and February of 96.9 inches.
Around a foot of snow had fallen in parts of Vermont and New Hampshire.

Concord already had set a record for the snowiest December, January and February, and the storm pushed the total for the three months to 97.5 inches. For the entire snow season, Concord has seen 99.6 inches, off the record of 122 inches, set in the winter of 1873-74, but still enough to make it the 10th snowiest winter on record.

In northern Maine, Caribou had seen 144.5 inches this season as of Wednesday morning, putting it on pace to break the record of 181.1 for the entire season, said National Weather Service meteorologist Mark Turner.

http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2008/02/28/global-warming-update-snowfall-records-being-broken-new-england

red states rule
03-31-2008, 05:30 AM
Well, he believes we can't build a 700 mile fence to cover a 2100 mile border to keep illegals out

I doubt if McCain wants to keep illegals out

PostmodernProphet
03-31-2008, 08:28 AM
McCain has said global warming is real - which is bullshit. He wants to pour more tax money into this rathole, when there is no problem to solve

Is this global warming in action?

Global Warming Update: Snowfall Records Being Broken in New England
By Noel Sheppard | February 28, 2008 - 11:12 ET

Remember all those articles last year about how ski resorts were going to go bankrupt, and that folks with vacation homes near such areas were going to take a bath as global warming significantly reduced snowfall levels?

Well, ski enthusiasts and investors around the country should rest assured that this media hype was just as accurate as all those hurricane forecasts in 2006 and 2007.

In fact, much as what has occurred in Wisconsin this year, parts of New England have experienced more snow than ever in history as reported by USA Today late Wednesday evening:

Another snowstorm swept across New England on Wednesday, toppling seasonal snowfall records and dumping so much heavy snow on buildings that some collapsed under the weight.

In Vermont, Burlington's 7.6 inches pushed the official snowfall past the February record of 34.3 inches and the winter record from December, January and February of 96.9 inches.
Around a foot of snow had fallen in parts of Vermont and New Hampshire.

Concord already had set a record for the snowiest December, January and February, and the storm pushed the total for the three months to 97.5 inches. For the entire snow season, Concord has seen 99.6 inches, off the record of 122 inches, set in the winter of 1873-74, but still enough to make it the 10th snowiest winter on record.

In northern Maine, Caribou had seen 144.5 inches this season as of Wednesday morning, putting it on pace to break the record of 181.1 for the entire season, said National Weather Service meteorologist Mark Turner.

http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2008/02/28/global-warming-update-snowfall-records-being-broken-new-england

what the heck...I'm a patient man.....I will give you a fourth chance to respond to the questions....

"when did reducing immigration become a conservative principle?

mundame
04-01-2008, 01:03 PM

"when did reducing immigration become a conservative principle?

Let me try --------- it's been at least a couple years since these became major conservative positions, right? Not believing in "global warming" and not wanting to throw money away on supposed "fixes" is generally a well-known conservative position.

And of course stopping illegal aliens swarming across the border is a popular conservative position; stopping that would certainly reduce immigration!

PostmodernProphet
04-01-2008, 01:23 PM
Let me try --------- it's been at least a couple years since these became major conservative positions, right? Not believing in "global warming" and not wanting to throw money away on supposed "fixes" is generally a well-known conservative position.

And of course stopping illegal aliens swarming across the border is a popular conservative position; stopping that would certainly reduce immigration!

misses on both accounts.....if you look back to the original post, I specifically stated "global warming aside"......and I am talking about immigration, not illegal aliens.....the illegal alien situation can easily be solved by creating a program that provides for legal immigration, a position that the most conservative members of the board reject as "amnesty"......

04-01-2008, 01:32 PM
if we had to chronicle McCain's unconservative moments we could fill a book.

mundame
04-01-2008, 01:41 PM
...and I am talking about immigration, not illegal aliens.....the illegal alien situation can easily be solved by creating a program that provides for legal immigration, a position that the most conservative members of the board reject as "amnesty"......

Illegal aliens are immigration, and a big, giant part of it.

Letting illegals flood in illegally and then rewarding then with amnesty is indeed not a conservative position and I also think it would be wrong.

5stringJeff
04-01-2008, 04:38 PM
the illegal alien situation can easily be solved by creating a program that provides for legal immigration, a position that the most conservative members of the board reject as "amnesty"......

Well, if a "program" is created that allows lawbreaking citizens of other countries to obtain American citizenship, that's amnesty, and conservatives rightly oppose it.

red states rule
04-01-2008, 05:05 PM
if we had to chronicle McCain's unconservative moments we could fill a book.

Several editions of the book is more like it