PDA

View Full Version : Queen cancels diamond wedding party in wake of economic gloom

stephanie
03-30-2008, 03:01 AM
By KATIE NICHOLL - More by this author »

Last updated at 08:49am on 30th March 2008

Party time: The Queen, at The Ritz, her favourite venue, for her 80th birthday in 2006
The Queen has cancelled a party to mark her diamond wedding anniversary because she felt it would be "inappropriate" to hold a lavish celebration with the country on the brink of recession.

Guests at the party, which was due to be held at The Ritz this weekend, would have been served champagne from crystal-studded bottles and dined off tablecloths covered with sparkling jewels.

But with her subjects facing rising bills and falling house prices, and the banking system paralysed by the so-called "credit crunch", the Queen has decided that the celebration would be regarded as insensitive.

read the rest..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=549650&in_page_id=1770&ct=5

JohnDoe
03-30-2008, 09:39 AM
and i think she was right on, with her thinking on this.... good pr move on her part.

DragonStryk72
03-30-2008, 11:21 AM
I'm confused..... you're telling me that a leader looked at the current economic situation of her country, realized that it was going badly.... and then acted in a responsible, belt-tightening manner? I.... I don't understand......

JohnDoe
03-30-2008, 01:03 PM
Missed this on the first read of the article:

But with her subjects facing rising bills and falling house prices, and the banking system paralysed by the so-called "credit crunch", the Queen has decided that the celebration would be regarded as insensitive.

If the credit/banking/home devaluation crisis is WORLD WIDE and affecting her country ALSO, then why in the heck are WE, the USA and the USA tax payers the ONLY ONES bailing out these subprime financial institutions????

She should take the money from her diamond studded anniversary event and use it as a bailout, to help with this world wide crisis, damnit...why is it ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS us, bailing out the whole world, even when money is tight for us?

and these bailouts are going to be borrowed from China or Japan because we do not collect enough taxes to fund it....

DragonStryk72
03-30-2008, 02:14 PM
Missed this on the first read of the article:

If the credit/banking/home devaluation crisis is WORLD WIDE and affecting her country ALSO, then why in the heck are WE, the USA and the USA tax payers the ONLY ONES bailing out these subprime financial institutions????

She should take the money from her diamond studded anniversary event and use it as a bailout, to help with this world wide crisis, damnit...why is it ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS us, bailing out the whole world, even when money is tight for us?

and these bailouts are going to be borrowed from China or Japan because we do not collect enough taxes to fund it....

Seriously, JD, She's acting more fiscally responsible than our own people, and who says that they aren't trying to alleviate things on their end?

You just made the most random, judgemental call you could have gone with, and didn't look at anything that's going on. England can be having problems with their markets that are not directly attached to our own problems. She cancelled her 80th wedding anniversary, jd, just because of the economy, because it felt wrong to her to celebrate that while her own economy was slipping.

I don't argue the fact that the USA has somehow taken Team America World Police as their mantra, but give a person points where they are due them. Not every decision a leader makes is Machiavellian in nature, sometimes, they're just good decision made from a good place.

JohnDoe
03-30-2008, 02:22 PM
Seriously, JD, She's acting more fiscally responsible than our own people, and who says that they aren't trying to alleviate things on their end?

You just made the most random, judgemental call you could have gone with, and didn't look at anything that's going on. England can be having problems with their markets that are not directly attached to our own problems. She cancelled her 80th wedding anniversary, jd, just because of the economy, because it felt wrong to her to celebrate that while her own economy was slipping.

I don't argue the fact that the USA has somehow taken Team America World Police as their mantra, but give a person points where they are due them. Not every decision a leader makes is Machiavellian in nature, sometimes, they're just good decision made from a good place.

you're right, she did do the responsible thing....

But I am still pissed that IF THIS IS A GLOBAL economy and the rest of the world are affected also, then WHY AREN'T other countries pitching in to bail out the financial industry too?

anddddd i would have to ask why are we doing it if they are not doing it for their own industry and people?

Will our bail outs also help them...with their financial crisis and not just us is another question?

jd

DragonStryk72
03-30-2008, 02:26 PM
you're right, she did do the responsible thing....

But I am still pissed that IF THIS IS A GLOBAL economy and the rest of the world are affected also, then WHY AREN'T other countries pitching in to bail out the financial industry too

anddddd i would have to ask why are we doing it if they are not doing it for their own industry and people?

Will our bail outs also help them...their financial crisis and not just us is another question?

jd

jd

Well, England at least is trying to bail themselves out, but they take in alot less money than we do annually, so they are much more limited in their options. China doesn't really care, since they're a major producer nations, their income is almost guaranteed, and they can just use their own systems, so really, we're about it on this one.

The problem seems more pointedly that we keep saving businesses from terrible business decisions that should be putting them out of business, and teaching other business that you don't operate your business like that if you hope to succeed. We need to start letting letting businesses be responisble for their own growth and decline over time, so that we can devote more of our money toward reducing the deficit, and really helping out the economy for the long term in the process.

stephanie
03-30-2008, 02:39 PM
I posted this because I got the biggest kick out of them calling the people there...........her subjects..

that's what they are going to be calling the people here in the U.S.........soon..:laugh2:

DragonStryk72
03-30-2008, 02:59 PM
I posted this because I got the biggest kick out of them calling the people there...........her subjects..

that's what they are going to be calling the people here in the U.S.........soon..:laugh2:

And then Scotland would be taking the mickey out of us on it, too, you know that right? [bad scottish accent]"Oh, look at the big bad americans!! Oh, England can't be tellin us what to be doin!![/bad scottish accent]