PDA

View Full Version : Chelsea Surprised By Sexist Comments

stephanie
03-30-2008, 03:19 PM
good grief..:poke:

Campaigning For Mom In N. Carolina, Clinton Says She Was Sheltered From

(AP) Chelsea Clinton said Saturday that she didn't realize how much sexism remained in the United States until she noticed the issue at recent campaign stops for her mother.

"I didn't really get how much sexism there still was in our country until I was at a rally with my mom in New Hampshire, and someone came up to me and said, 'I just can't see a woman being commander in chief,"' Clinton said during a stop in Research Triangle Park.

She also noted another New Hampshire rally that was disrupted by men who stood up and told Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton to "Iron my shirt." And she quietly questioned why some people find humor in a nutcracker doll that looks like her mother.

The younger Clinton said that she didn't understand that sexism still existed because she has always been supported by both the men and women in her family.

"I didn't realize that that wasn't expected yet in the rest of our country," Clinton said. "I have been so profoundly more grateful than I have ever been over the past few months for my parents because of that."

Clinton spoke at the Young Democrats of North Carolina convention in Research Triangle Park - an event that normally draws only appearances for statewide races. On Saturday, campaign officials for both Obama and Clinton sent surrogates to speak, seeking support ahead of the state's May 6 primary. Newark, N.J., Mayor Cory Booker appeared on behalf of Obama.

On several occasions during her speech, Clinton referred to the North American Free Trade Agreement - a pact often blamed for the acceleration of textile and manufacturing job losses across the state - and explained why her former president father and aspiring president mother differed on the issue.

An audience member who said his mother lost her job when it was shipped to Mexico asked Clinton how he could reconcile the passage of NAFTA under the Bill Clinton administration with Hillary Rodham Clinton's opposition of the free trade agreement.

"We don't agree on everything as a family," Chelsea Clinton said. "I agree with my mother on most things - not everything. I agree with my father on most things - not everything. My mother and father agree on most things - not everything."

read the rest and comments..
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/03/29/politics/main3979469.shtml?source=mostpop_story#ccmm

03-30-2008, 05:34 PM
oh the iron my shirt brigade which was nothing but a hillary group planted to make her look like a victim and win in New Hamsphire?

DragonStryk72
03-31-2008, 01:36 AM
That's kind of like complaining about how not being able to flag a Taxi in New york is racist, then hearing something that's actually racist, your head just snaps around like, "Did I just hear that?!"