PDA

View Full Version : James 1:26

Abbey Marie
03-31-2008, 10:33 AM
Here's an interesting Bible verse we read in church yesterday:

James 1:26 (NIV):

26 If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless.

From David Guzik's commentary on the verse:
i. Thinks he is religious: In the ancient Greek language, religious is a word that is never used in a positive sense in the New Testament. James uses it here of someone who is religious, but not really right with God, and it is evident because he does not bridle his tongue.

I think it is right on the money. I was struck by how perfectly it applies to Rev. Wrong, and even right here on our board.

Monkeybone
03-31-2008, 11:09 AM
mouth reflects what is truely in the heart and mind

DragonStryk72
03-31-2008, 11:25 AM
I think we can all come up with about a dozen examples of people who need to have this tattooed to their forehead in reverse so they can read it every morning in the mirror.

Monkeybone
03-31-2008, 11:37 AM
I think we can all come up with about a dozen examples of people who need to have this tattooed to their forehead in reverse so they can read it every morning in the mirror.

lol. that would work

Abbey Marie
04-01-2008, 10:32 AM
mouth reflects what is truely in the heart and mind

...and what is not in the soul.

manu1959
04-01-2008, 10:34 AM
oh well.....at least i like hot weather........

ps how come no link.....god will sue jimmy for copyright....:poke:

Abbey Marie
04-01-2008, 10:44 AM
oh well.....at least i like hot weather........

ps how come no link.....god will sue jimmy for copyright....:poke:

Open any Bible, Manu. It's right there under James 1:26. I promise.

But if God sues Jim, I'll defend him. :laugh2:

Yurt
04-01-2008, 10:56 AM
so this is right up there with ... let your yes be yes and your no be no....i.e., no cursing....?

i suck at that

Abbey Marie
04-01-2008, 11:19 AM
so this is right up there with ... let your yes be yes and your no be no....i.e., no cursing....?

i suck at that

I think it goes beyond cursing, Yurt. An unbridled tongue (in my opinion), is any speech that exhibits hate or ugliness towards others, crassness, blasphemy, gossip, jealousy, etc.

Rev. Wrong's sermons, for example...

04-01-2008, 01:37 PM
A man who is a master of himself is greater than him who rules a country.

Monkeybone
04-01-2008, 01:59 PM
A man who is a master of himself is greater than him who rules a country.

i think also in James that it refers to mastering the tongue. it also states that those who teach need to be even more careful....been awhile since i looked at it

Abbey Marie
04-01-2008, 02:17 PM
i think also in James that it refers to mastering the tongue. it also states that those who teach need to be even more careful....been awhile since i looked at it

I think that's true, MB. They need to be held to a higher standard.

chesswarsnow
04-02-2008, 09:25 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. Who can rule it?

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas