PDA

View Full Version : Parents indicted in faith-healing death

LiberalNation
03-31-2008, 12:18 PM
This here's a new one.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080331/ap_on_re_us/faith_healing_death;_ylt=AmgJqY1IsfFq_nM7.k8K9K2s0 NUE

OREGON CITY, Ore. - A couple whose church preaches against medical care are facing criminal charges after their young daughter died of an infection that authorities said went untreated.

Carl and Raylene Worthington were indicted Friday on charges of manslaughter and criminal mistreatment in the death of their 15-month-old daughter Ava. They belong to the Followers of Christ Church, whose members have a history of treating gravely ill children only with prayer.

Ava died March 2 of bronchial pneumonia and a blood infection. The state medical examiner's office has said she could have been treated with antibiotics.

Dr. Christopher Young, a deputy state medical examiner, said the child's breathing was further hampered by a benign cyst on her neck that had never been medically addressed, The Oregonian reported.

bullypulpit
03-31-2008, 02:41 PM
This here's a new one.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080331/ap_on_re_us/faith_healing_death;_ylt=AmgJqY1IsfFq_nM7.k8K9K2s0 NUE

OREGON CITY, Ore. - A couple whose church preaches against medical care are facing criminal charges after their young daughter died of an infection that authorities said went untreated.

Carl and Raylene Worthington were indicted Friday on charges of manslaughter and criminal mistreatment in the death of their 15-month-old daughter Ava. They belong to the Followers of Christ Church, whose members have a history of treating gravely ill children only with prayer.

Ava died March 2 of bronchial pneumonia and a blood infection. The state medical examiner's office has said she could have been treated with antibiotics.

Dr. Christopher Young, a deputy state medical examiner, said the child's breathing was further hampered by a benign cyst on her neck that had never been medically addressed, The Oregonian reported.

Negligent homicide...their pastor needs to be charged too for propagating such tripe.

Hagbard Celine
03-31-2008, 04:14 PM
This conclusively debunks religion.

DragonStryk72
03-31-2008, 04:48 PM
This isn't really about faith, or whether there is a god or not, I don't think. I have faith, but I also understand that, while God is there for me, I have to make right decisions of my own, I cannot simply pray, and let everything happen around me. It turns God into nothing more than an invisible slot machine.

These parents allowed their pastor to blind them, and they will be haunted the rest of their days, because they did not make right decisions. They could have tried prayer, along with natural remedies, as opposed to hard medicine, and it would have been fine.

Prayer is no substitute for basic common sense, or an excuse to risk the life of a small child.

03-31-2008, 09:03 PM

How do you conclude this?

Mr. P
03-31-2008, 09:15 PM

I think it does more to expose IDIOTS that hide behind the cloque of religion.

Just my .02 worth.

manu1959
03-31-2008, 09:35 PM

no it just means they are bad at praying......

Mr. P
03-31-2008, 10:09 PM
no it just means they are bad at praying......

HA! Maybe they got voice mail..hate that chit!

mrg666
03-31-2008, 10:35 PM
its a crutch used wisely it can help folk used negatively this happens

Yurt
03-31-2008, 10:36 PM
Negligent homicide...their pastor needs to be charged too for propagating such tripe.

they didn't know their pastor believed that way....

Abbey Marie
03-31-2008, 11:00 PM

How so?

Lizabeth
03-31-2008, 11:08 PM

When I was in my teens we had a similar incident that happened in NJ this involved Jehovah Witness. I recall the prosecutor became involved before the child died and was removed from the parents and placed in foster care. The parents immediately filed suit. Everyone figured with what? Because they live a very simple life. The Church, who else, filed the suit on their behalf. That is who should be charged here with negligent homicide. The parents believed this hogwash and Jehovah's just like this group brain wash people. They are no different from Jim Jones.

If we want to stop this nonsense let's go after the real culprit the top people in this church.

04-01-2008, 12:52 AM
Whatever happened to good old freedom. Why should parents be forced to seek medical care for themselves or their children if they believe it's wrong?

The parents didn't commit murder. The child died of natural causes. Simply because those natural causes could have been prevented, even easily, doesn't mean they should be convicted of murder.

While were at it why don't we prosecute gays who spread the Aids virus for murder for their negligent actions. After all STDs are very easily preventable.

LiberalNation
04-01-2008, 02:21 PM
People who knowingly spread aids can be............

Mr. P
04-01-2008, 04:34 PM
Whatever happened to good old freedom. Why should parents be forced to seek medical care for themselves or their children if they believe it's wrong?

The parents didn't commit murder. The child died of natural causes. Simply because those natural causes could have been prevented, even easily, doesn't mean they should be convicted of murder.

While were at it why don't we prosecute gays who spread the Aids virus for murder for their negligent actions. After all STDs are very easily preventable.

indicted Friday on charges of manslaughter and criminal mistreatment Surly you know the difference between murder and these charges. Practicing for litigation spin? Prevention wasn't and isn't the issue, lack of treatment, failure to provide care of and for a minor by "legal" guardians is. They should face a penalty :slap:

Abbey Marie
04-01-2008, 04:37 PM
I think the child has a right to receive enough medical care to live long enough to grow up and make her own choices. If she then decides that faith healing is the way to go, that's her decision.