PDA

View Full Version : I Am Legend

Abbey Marie
03-31-2008, 02:42 PM
Did anyone else see this? It definitely held my interest, and Will Smith was very good in it. Seeing NYC so empty is always fun, too.

hjmick
03-31-2008, 03:04 PM
Did anyone else see this? It definitely held my interest, and Will Smith was very good in it. Seeing NYC so empty is always fun, too.

I have seen all four movie versions of this novella. Vincent Price's 1964 The Last Man On Earth was perhaps most true to Richard Matheson's story. 1971's The Omega Man starring Charleton Heston is a classic. Both versions (the theatrical release and the "version not seen in theatres") of Will Smith's I Am Legend are good as well. My only complaint, having read the novella, was that they could have emphasized the vampire aspect of Matheson's vision. This theme was pretty much ignored in both The Omega Man and I AM Legend.

Will Smith is pretty much a bankable commodity in the film industry. I am looking forward to seeing Hancock when it is released.

Hagbard Celine
03-31-2008, 04:18 PM
Yeah I saw it. Like a month ago.

dan
03-31-2008, 05:26 PM
Did the "version not seen in theaters" have an ending closer to the original novella? It didn't make sense to me that the ending of the movie was somewhat close to the original, all they had to do was take an extra step and have the ending tie into the ending of the original, especially with them taking the title from that ending and all.

Great special effects in this one. And great acting by Smith, the scene where he has to put the dog down is heartbreaking.

Abbey Marie
03-31-2008, 05:45 PM
Did the "version not seen in theaters" have an ending closer to the original novella? It didn't make sense to me that the ending of the movie was somewhat close to the original, all they had to do was take an extra step and have the ending tie into the ending of the original, especially with them taking the title from that ending and all.

Great special effects in this one. And great acting by Smith, the scene where he has to put the dog down is heartbreaking.

I had to look away from that one. When he was in the car right after that, and turned to talk to the dog, who of course wasn't there, was also heartbreaking.

hjmick
03-31-2008, 08:14 PM

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y113/hjmc3rd/siren.gif!!Spoiler Alert!!http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y113/hjmc3rd/siren.gif

In the version not seen in theatres, Neville drives off with Anna and the kid in search of survivors.

jackass
03-31-2008, 08:18 PM
I liked it also. I thought it was very entertaining. Definatley worth the rental.

diuretic
03-31-2008, 08:51 PM
I knew the dog would get it even when I saw the trailer. I hate plot devices like that but at least it was in context. Still made me feel bad though. Anyway it was necessary for the drama and it worked. Will Smith is a fine actor, did a great job in this film.

dan
03-31-2008, 11:08 PM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y113/hjmc3rd/siren.gif!!Spoiler Alert!!http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y113/hjmc3rd/siren.gif

In the version not seen in theatres, Neville drives off with Anna and the kid in search of survivors.

Ah, that's lame. I'm glad they didn't go with that. But, I think they could've ended the movie more accurately to the novella and still kept basically the same movie: Neville is the last survivor and before he dies he somehow finds out that he is a legend to the vampires, maybe include some kind of voiceover about living on in any way you can or something. I would've liked that.

Hobbit
04-01-2008, 07:18 PM
SPOILERS!!!!!!!

What do you mean that's the version 'not seen in theaters?' I saw it in theaters and at the end the woman and child drive to the survivor's colony in Vermont with the cure for the plague.

As far as how good the movie is, it's one of the few movies I cried at.

hjmick
04-01-2008, 07:31 PM
SPOILERS!!!!!!!

What do you mean that's the version 'not seen in theaters?' I saw it in theaters and at the end the woman and child drive to the survivor's colony in Vermont with the cure for the plague.

As far as how good the movie is, it's one of the few movies I cried at.

But in the version not seen in theatres, Neville is behind the wheel, he lives.

hjmick
04-01-2008, 07:32 PM
Ah, that's lame. I'm glad they didn't go with that. But, I think they could've ended the movie more accurately to the novella and still kept basically the same movie: Neville is the last survivor and before he dies he somehow finds out that he is a legend to the vampires, maybe include some kind of voiceover about living on in any way you can or something. I would've liked that.

The novella was very good. As were the short stories that were included with it. Matheson was a damn good writer.

04-02-2008, 02:54 PM
I could sympathize with him after he met those people and didnt know how to react.

dan
04-02-2008, 03:18 PM
I could sympathize with him after he met those people and didnt know how to react.

That's how I react to meeting new people now!

Sitarro
04-02-2008, 03:35 PM
I watched it last night, very well done. I am amazed at how very good the effects have become. It was almost impossible to tell that there were any except that in your own mind that there would not be a way to do that to a city , especially New York. Even the movements of the deer, dogs and dark seekers was more natural looking than anything I have seen before.

The trailer for the new Batman movie looks incredible, hopefully the Joker roll for Ledger will be his legacy over Brokefag Mountain.:laugh2:

Why is this story considered a novella instead of a novel?

hjmick
04-02-2008, 03:47 PM
Why is this story considered a novella instead of a novel?

I hesitate to call it a novel only because of it's length, it comes in at about 170 pages.

There is some argument about what length defines a novella. The Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America Nebula Awards for science fiction define the novella as having a word count between 17,500 and 40,000.

Stephen King has called the novella "an ill-defined and disreputable literary banana republic."

Webster's defines it as "a work of fiction intermediate in length and complexity between a short story and a novel."