PDA

View Full Version : Obama is the change that America has tried to hide

stephanie
04-01-2008, 12:00 AM
:poke:

Only one candidate offers the radical departure for the 21st century the US needs, for its own sake and the rest of the world's
Alice Walker The Guardian, Tuesday April 1 2008 Article historyAbout this articleClose This article appeared in the Guardian on Tuesday April 01 2008 on p32 of the Comment & debate section. It was last updated at 00:05 on April 01 2008. I have come home from a long stay in Mexico to find - because of the presidential campaign, and especially because of the Obama-Clinton race for the Democratic nomination - a new country existing alongside the old. On any given day we, collectively, become the goddess of the three directions and can look back into the past, look at ourselves just where we are, and take a glance, as well, into the future. It is a space with which I am familiar.

When I joined the freedom movement in Mississippi in my early 20s, it was to come to the aid of sharecroppers, like my parents, who had been thrown off the land they'd always known - the plantations - because they attempted to exercise their "democratic" right to vote. I wish I could say white women treated me and other black people a lot better than the men did, but I cannot. It seemed to me then, and it seems to me now, that white women have copied all too often the behaviour of their fathers and their brothers. In the south, especially in Mississippi, and before that, when I worked to register voters in Georgia, the broken bottles thrown at my head were gender-free.

I made my first white women friends in college; they loved me and were loyal to our friendship, but I understood, as they did, that they were white women and that whiteness mattered.

I am a supporter of Barack Obama because I believe he is the right person to lead the United States at this time. He offers a rare opportunity for the country and the world to do better. It is a deep sadness to me that many of my feminist white women friends cannot see him, cannot hear the fresh choices toward movement he offers. That they can believe that millions of Americans choose Obama over Clinton only because he is a man, and black, feels tragic to me.

When I have supported white people, it was because I thought them the best to do the job. If Obama were in any sense mediocre, he would be forgotten by now. He is, in fact, a remarkable human being, not perfect but humanly stunning, like King was and like Mandela is. He is the change America has been trying desperately and for centuries to hide, ignore, kill. The change it must have if we are to convince the rest of the world that we care about people other than our (white) selves.

read the rest and LOTS of comments..
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2008/apr/01/barackobama.uselections2008

Gaffer
04-01-2008, 05:27 PM
Another black person living in the 60's trying to stir the racist crap. It's like the old hippies trying to recreate the Vietnam conflict, these people are trying to pose as victims of segregation that isn't happening except in the reverse sense.