PDA

View Full Version : Daylight Savings Time changes to be rolled back

stephanie
04-01-2008, 02:40 AM
CNN ^ :cheers2:

Posted on 03/31/2008 9:06:23 PM PDT by Grig

WASHINGTON (CNN)-- A government report released to the public today recommended rolling back the changed made to Daylight Savings Time made over a year ago.

A six month study of the impact of the Bush imposed policy showed virtually no benifit, but also noted the change created a great deal of inconvenience and expense, particularly for businesses and the high tech industry.

"Rolling these changes back would undo all the harm done, and in many cases it would have no cost, as software patches created for the change can just be uninstalled." claimed Newman P. Fred, Chair of the Daylight Investigation Committee.

While critics of the report agree the change has not delivered the promised results, they disagree with the 'give up' approach recommended by the report.

"Why just go back when there is no real benefit to that either?" asks Jason Swift, President of the Global Care Group. A much better solution would be to change the time of sunrise and sunset each day. If the government would just legislate that sunrise is one hour earlier and sunset is one hour later than that adds over 700 hours of daylight every year....

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1994874/posts
http://aprilfoolsdayontheweb.com/

Little-Acorn
04-01-2008, 09:33 AM
WASHINGTON (CNN)-- A government report released to the public today recommended rolling back the changed made to Daylight Savings Time made over a year ago.

http://aprilfoolsdayontheweb.com/

What a country... where a good idea can only be presented as a joke any more.

mundame
04-01-2008, 12:26 PM
Yeah, ending daylight savings time would be wonderful.

It was introduced by Germany during WWI as a way of emphasizing to the population how totally they were controlled by the government: they had to change even the time of day by government command.

So it was quickly adopted by all the allies as well, for the same reason.

April Fools, all of us. http://bestsmileys.com/sad/5.gif

Dilloduck
04-01-2008, 12:32 PM
NO WAY------DST is wonderful !!!!!

Kathianne
04-01-2008, 12:34 PM

It was introduced by Germany during WWI as a way of emphasizing to the population how totally they were controlled by the government: they had to change even the time of day by government command.

Actually Ben Franklin is credited with the idea. In the US:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/03/0330_040330_daylightsavings_2.html

...Part of the Act of 1918 also legislated for the observance of daylight saving time nationwide. That section of the act was repealed the following year, and DST thereafter became a matter left up to local jurisdictions...

mundame
04-01-2008, 12:48 PM

Ben probably WAS the first to think of it.

However, its utility as a totalitarian handle on a population became obvious to me (I hate the time changes and am considering ignoring it when I retire, as an experiment in personal freedom), so I was delighted to hear in one of the Teaching Company's lectures on WWI that Germany --- a VERY totalitarian state in both wars, and WWI was the first "total war," if you don't count Napoleon --- Germany started it. Ostensibly to work longer in the summer, but they were interfering with everyone's life to the smallest detail by then, being desperate in their slide to lose WWI.

Hagbard Celine
04-01-2008, 12:50 PM

I thought day light savings time was first recommended by Benjamin Franklin. (shrug)

mundame
04-01-2008, 12:53 PM
I thought day light savings time was first recommended by Benjamin Franklin. (shrug)

Rermember that when the U.S. government promoted it here, during and after WWI, they could hardly suggest we should do it because it was a German idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!

People were very anti-Germany everything at that point, including Beethoven symphonies. So propagandists promoted the idea that one of our Founding Fathers had the idea and that's why we should do it.

Kathianne
04-01-2008, 12:57 PM
Ben probably WAS the first to think of it.

However, its utility as a totalitarian handle on a population became obvious to me (I hate the time changes and am considering ignoring it when I retire, as an experiment in personal freedom), so I was delighted to hear in one of the Teaching Company's lectures on WWI that Germany --- a VERY totalitarian state in both wars, and WWI was the first "total war," if you don't count Napoleon --- Germany started it. Ostensibly to work longer in the summer, but they were interfering with everyone's life to the smallest detail by then, being desperate in their slide to lose WWI.
Well as National Geographic pointed out, it was in use in the US in some places, prior to 1918. In 1918 the federal government did write legislation to use it, then repealed it, leaving it up to the states.

Little-Acorn
04-01-2008, 01:37 PM
Actually I like the basic idea of Daylight Savings TIme, though the name is silly. The number of daylight hours in a day, varies quite a lot with the season, obviously. DST strikes me as an attempt to have the sunrise occur at ROUGHLY the same clock time, give or take an hour or so, throughout the year; while the sunset can be as early as 5:00PM in winter or as late as 8:00 in summer. Also varies a little by your location, of course.

If that is its purpose, then it makes complete sense to turn the clocks forward pretty close to the vernal equinox (as we used to), and turn them back exactly six months later.

But why on earth are we shifting the turn-forward and turn-back times relative to each other? How could they be anything but exactly six months apart? We used to turn clocks forward on the last Sunday of April, turn them back on the last Sunday in October. Now we turn them forward in early March, but still turn back in October? Makes zero sense to me.

When Congress first changed the DST dates, they moved the turn-forward time from the last Sunday in April, to I think three weeks earlier than that (or was it two weeks? Not sure), while leaving the turn-back time at the end of October.

I heard a rumor that they did it in response to the Backyard Barbecue Manufacturers' Lobby, who basically wanted people to have more weeks of evening summertime when they would be inclined to fire up their barbecues. I have no idea if that's true, but it makes a plausible and entertaining story at least.

Now we've scooted the turn-forward time even further back, for reasons I do not know. Boy, those barbecue dudes must have some clout.

I'd be perfectly happy if we'd go back to the last Sunday in April and October. It would even make chronological sense. Until we do, it is best regarded as an April Fool's Joke.

DragonStryk72
04-01-2008, 01:47 PM
DST is useless. You know how long the day is? As long as the sun is up, then, when it's gone, that time is called night. The time on the clock when this happens is completely irrelevant, so moving forward or back an hour does absolutely nothing, aside from make us all keep doing this crap every six months.

mundame
04-01-2008, 02:07 PM
DST is useless. You know how long the day is? As long as the sun is up, then, when it's gone, that time is called night. The time on the clock when this happens is completely irrelevant, so moving forward or back an hour does absolutely nothing, aside from make us all keep doing this crap every six months.

Good. It's like saying, "I don't have time to do that!!"

We each have 24 hours a day. No more. No less. We have all the time there is, so there's no use saying we "don't have time."

Pale Rider
04-01-2008, 02:37 PM
Arizona doesn't recognize DST.

Little-Acorn
04-01-2008, 03:02 PM

It makes me get up before sunrise for the last several weeks, which sucks bigtime. That makes it VERY relevant.

I'd like to see the clock-forward time moved back up to the last Sunday in April, where it once was.

I heard that DST was originally put in place to help farmers. I'm not clear on exactly how it helped them. Maybe as I said earlier, it made it so the clock read approximately the same every morning they got up, which was always at sunrise (or a little before to get the cows milked during can't-see hours), regardless of what season it was.

Mr. P
04-01-2008, 05:06 PM
Oooooooooo crap...everyone just toss yer clocks and forget time altogether.
Time is so damn confining anyway.

If we do away with it we will be free!

No TIME to be at work

No TIME to go home

No TIME to file tax

No TIME to get up or go to bed

Most important...No TIME to die!

Live life and be happy! The hell with TIME! *cept what ya got left* :cheers2:

Mr. P
04-01-2008, 05:10 PM
It makes me get up before sunrise for the last several weeks, which sucks bigtime. That makes it VERY relevant.

I'd like to see the clock-forward time moved back up to the last Sunday in April, where it once was.

I heard that DST was originally put in place to help farmers. I'm not clear on exactly how it helped them. Maybe as I said earlier, it made it so the clock read approximately the same every morning they got up, which was always at sunrise (or a little before to get the cows milked during can't-see hours), regardless of what season it was.

Not gonna look it up but I believe DST was first proposed by Ben Franklin...May have been Thomas Jefferson.

Little-Acorn
04-01-2008, 07:40 PM

"Time is nature's way of making sure everything doesn't all happen at once."

Noir
04-01-2008, 07:51 PM

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/03/0330_040330_daylightsavings_2.html

But the real creator of DST was Willaim Willett (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Willett)in 1907

Yurt
04-01-2008, 09:22 PM

If we do away with it we will be free!

No TIME to be at work

No TIME to go home

No TIME to file tax

No TIME to get up or go to bed

Most important...No TIME to die!

Live life and be happy! The hell with TIME! *cept what ya got left* :cheers2:

island time, lived it for a year, missed it ever since....

http://www.marshallislandsresort.com/images/enejisland.jpg

Mr. P
04-01-2008, 09:37 PM
island time, lived it for a year, missed it ever since....

http://www.marshallislandsresort.com/images/enejisland.jpg

PERFECT!:cheers2:

Yurt
04-01-2008, 09:41 PM
PERFECT!:cheers2:

that picture is exactly what it looks like, marshall islands....water 82 all year, wait i lied, i think it dropped to 81 for a week...

Mr. P
04-01-2008, 10:43 PM
that picture is exactly what it looks like, marshall islands....water 82 all year, wait i lied, i think it dropped to 81 for a week...

Errrrrrrr...yurt! You gave up paradise for.....California? :poke: :slap:

Yurt
04-01-2008, 10:48 PM
Errrrrrrr...yurt! You gave up paradise for.....California? :poke: :slap:

stupid is as stupid does....:D

Mr. P
04-01-2008, 10:59 PM
stupid is as stupid does....:D

Well, if someday you just decide to run, for no particular reason, let me know. :lol:

mundame
04-03-2008, 08:50 AM
"Time is nature's way of making sure everything doesn't all happen at once."

Hi, Little-Acorn ------ Is that Douglas Adams, one of the Hitchhiker books?