PDA

View Full Version : I did some auto work this weekend

Hagbard Celine
04-01-2008, 09:57 AM
I have a 1997 bmw 318i sedan with ~165,000 miles on it. (Nothing as far as the E36 engine is concerned) With proper maintenance, the E36 engine will last for a million miles.
That said, I've been experiencing some bad vibration from the rear of the car, which indicated that my u-joint had gone bad. On the bimmer, this meant that I'd need to replace my whole driveshaft. I took the opportunity to also replace my transmission mounts, my flex joint/guibo and my exhaust hangers as well. (All rubber parts should be replaced occasionally because they wear-out).
Anyway, I made a little photo essay of the project, which you can check out here: http://hagbardceline.myphotoalbum.com/view_photo.php?set_albumName=album02&id=DS1

dread
06-07-2008, 03:12 PM
Oh fuck! Another spammer...Where's a mod when you need them?

Abbey Marie
06-07-2008, 03:20 PM
He's already gone, Dread.

glockmail
06-18-2008, 07:25 AM
... I've been experiencing some bad vibration from the rear of the car, which indicated that my u-joint had gone bad. On the bimmer, this meant that I'd need to replace my whole driveshaft. .... In my old car days I knew guys taht had to replace "assemblies" on Beemers when a small part failed. I'd get away with a $10 part on my Ford and they'd have to spend ten times that.

That had to have hurt the ol' wallet.

darin
06-18-2008, 07:57 AM
In the United States, the term "Bimmer" was later coined to refer (exclusively) to BMW automobiles. As such, use of the word "Beemer" (Or beamer) to refer to a BMW automobile is frowned upon by some BMW enthusiasts,[7] because it is the term used for motorcycles. Although the distinction is completely arbitrary, to this day, the media, movies, and most people still use the term "Beemer" to refer to the automobiles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW

Spreadin' knowledge. :)

glockmail
06-18-2008, 09:08 AM
I frown upon by some Beemer enthusiasts because they're so fucking snotty and pretend to know everything, especially about cars, when in reality they've never got their hands dirty working on one. :pee:

Dilloduck
06-18-2008, 02:35 PM
Seriously--what's with the purple gloves ?? Afraid of a little oil ?

Hagbard Celine
06-18-2008, 02:47 PM
Seriously--what's with the purple gloves ?? Afraid of a little oil ?

I like to keep my fingernails clean. :finger3:

glockmail
06-18-2008, 03:15 PM
Seriously--what's with the purple gloves ?? Afraid of a little oil ? Mechanix gloves are great if that's what they are. I wish we had them when I was into it. I remember many a bruised or scraped knuckle and bleeding hands, especially at the back of the palms. Working in cold weather was the worst.

darin
06-18-2008, 06:13 PM
I would be MONEY more FORD Drivers (as a percentage of owners) take their cars in for service than BMW enthusiasts.

Keep in mind, not all brand owners are brand enthusiasts.

glockmail
06-19-2008, 07:56 AM
Yeah you would be money! :lol:

I would bet most Mazda drivers are girls.

darin
06-19-2008, 08:26 AM
Wow. 5th Grade runs STRONG in your veins. I haven't been 'digged' by being called a 'girl' since probably then. Nice one.

Everyone see what he did? He knows I drive a Mazda. So...he's trying to insult it by saying it's a car WOMEN drive...Follow that? His mastery of the comeback and insult are unparralled. I'm fairly sure we should bow to glockmail's wit! he's a machine. SOO BRILLIANT. Breathtaking.

glockmail
06-19-2008, 08:41 AM
Wow, you thought that was an insult? I didn't realize you were so, sensitive. :laugh2:

darin
06-19-2008, 08:47 AM
You never change...a grown-up caught in junior-high maturity levels.

glockmail
06-19-2008, 08:49 AM
Gee I haven’t been called immature since, well, junior high. :clap:

Hagbard Celine
06-19-2008, 09:48 AM
Gee I haven’t been called immature since, well, junior high. :clap:

My mom pronounces the word "mature" weird. She says "matt-ure" instead of "match-ure." :dunno:

She also says "contimeter" instead of "centimeter."

glockmail
06-19-2008, 11:02 AM
My mom pronounces the word "mature" weird. She says "matt-ure" instead of "match-ure." :dunno:

She also says "contimeter" instead of "centimeter." I like to pronounce al-you-min-e-um for aluminum. I knew a guy that said bat-tree for battery. I think he did his own auto work too instead of taking it to a dealer and reading Car and Driver while waiting for the work to get done. :laugh2: