PDA

View Full Version : McCain's best chance to win?

hjmick
04-01-2008, 12:30 PM
Considering all the animosity many have for Bush, I'd have to say it's by distancing himself from Bush. In fact, the less Bush campaigns for him the better, in my opinion.

McCain seeks distance from Bush
Apr 1 11:46 AM US/Eastern

John McCain on Tuesday struck away from the political legacy of President George W. Bush, as he sought to plot an obstacle-strewn course back to the White House for the Republicans.
The party's presidential pick also mused on the lessons of his rebellious youth, as he sought to frame his life story as one of self-sacrifice and military service, the culmination of which would be the presidency.

"The point is, I'm not running on the Bush presidency, I'm running on my own service to the country, my own record in the House of Representatives and the United States Senate and my vision for the future," McCain told ABC television.

McCain, 71, has been a fierce supporter of the Iraq war. But he has challenged the Bush administration's management of the conflict, and admits his fortunes could be tied to the war's success or failure over the coming months.

Despite popular fatigue with the war, and worrying signs for the US economy, the Arizona senator is attempting to provide a new rationale for electing Republicans.

Last week, in a major foreign policy address, McCain laid out a robust national security policy, but offered olive branches to US allies alienated by the Bush administration's go-it-alone approach...

Complete story... (http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=080401154545.9vriwmcs&show_article=1)

theHawk
04-01-2008, 12:41 PM
McCain's best chance is to keep his mouth shut and let the conservatives tear Obama apart every day until election day.

Kathianne
04-01-2008, 12:47 PM
Oh Bush can and is trying to help him:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080401/ap_on_go_ot/border_fence

Rules to be waived for border fence

By EILEEN SULLIVAN, Associated Press Writer 47 minutes ago

The Bush administration plans to use its authority to bypass more than 30 laws and regulations in an effort to finish building 670 miles of fence along the southwest U.S. border by the end of this year, federal officials said Tuesday.

Invoking the two legal waivers — which Congress authorized — would cut through bureaucratic red tape and sidestep environmental laws that currently stand in the way of the Homeland Security Department building 267 miles of fencing in California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas, according to officials familiar with the plan. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because the waivers had not yet been announced.

The move would be the biggest use of legal waivers since the administration started building the fence, and it would cover a total of 470 miles along the Southwest border. Previously, the department has used its waiver authority for two portions of fence in Arizona and one portion in San Diego.

As of March 17, there were 309 miles of fencing in place, leaving 361 to be completed by the end of the year to meet the department's goal. Of those, 267 miles are being held up by federal, state and local laws and regulations, the officials said.

One waiver would address the construction of a 22-mile levee barrier in Hidalgo County, Texas. The other waiver would cover 30 miles of fencing and technology deployment on environmentally sensitive ground in San Diego, southern Arizona and the Rio Grande; and 215 miles in California, Arizona and Texas that face other legal impediments due to administrative processes. For instance, building in some areas requires assessments and studies that — if conducted — could not be completed in time to finish the fence by the end of the year.

hjmick
04-01-2008, 12:48 PM
McCain's best chance is to keep his mouth shut and let the conservatives tear Obama apart every day until election day.

There is that.

After posting this thread, I started to wonder...

Setting aside Truman, as he achieved office through the death of FDR, when was the last time a Presidential candidate won the Oval Office when a member of his party had held it for eight years?

PostmodernProphet
04-01-2008, 01:24 PM

we won't even need to start till after August....the democrats will tear him apart for us before then......

04-01-2008, 01:35 PM
The best chance McCain has is for Obama and Clinton to drop out... not going to happen. so the next best option would be the Democrat ticket being split because the convention was unable to pick one to satisfy everyone.

mundame
04-01-2008, 01:36 PM
There is that.

Setting aside Truman, as he achieved office through the death of FDR, when was the last time a Presidential candidate won the Oval Office when a member of his party had held it for eight years?

It doesn't happen. Ever.

Analysts I've been reading are generally agreed that it won't happen unless Democrats self-destruct ------------- for instance, if they

1) nominate Mobama and then he is proven to have said quotable racist things and had 3 mistresses while he was married; or

2) nominate Hillary and she continues her descent into the abyss of hated by men ("because she reminds men of their first wives when they get that set, furious expression and you know they are mad but you don't know what to do to appease them" said my husband recently, rather surprisingly.......I thought he was okay with Hillary!!!! http://deephousepage.com/smilies/Yikes_anim.gif

Things do happen ----------- like assassination. During the '60s, we lost one candidate after another that way. McCain is there because if he's not there, if people die, he's not there to jump in. But he can't have sanguine hopes at this point, as things just keep getting worse and worse and worse for the country.

Kathianne
04-01-2008, 01:45 PM
There is that.

George H Bush followed 8 years of Reagan.

hjmick
04-01-2008, 02:01 PM
George H Bush followed 8 years of Reagan.

Oh yeah, I always forget about him! Duh...

mundame
04-01-2008, 02:10 PM
Oh yeah, I always forget about him! Duh...

Ooops, right.

Okay, maybe it COULD happen.

When pigs fly. Reagan left in a blaze of glory that reflected onto Bush Sr.

This administration? Not much glory to shine onto McCain.

5stringJeff
04-01-2008, 04:43 PM
There is that.

Bush 41.

Before that, Harding, Coolidge, and Hoover, all Republicans, held the White House from 1920-1932.

hjmick
04-01-2008, 05:08 PM
Yeah, like I said, I always forget about 41. I really should be more familiar with my Presidential history/trivia...