PDA

View Full Version : Daddy Issues, War Lust in Oliver Stone's 'W'

stephanie
04-01-2008, 06:07 PM
I'm sure movies about Obambam and the Hillary will soon be following...:laugh2:

Controversial Filmmaker's Early Script Depicts President Bush's Hard-Partying Youth and Feuds With His Father
By MARCUS BARAM
April 1, 2008 —

It's a classic American story: In the prime of his life, a man who parties too much and lives in the shadow of his esteemed father turns his life around. He gives up alcohol, embraces religion and finds a new purpose.

But will his desire to impress his dad and purge his personal demons put the world in danger?

Coming soon to a movie theater near you: controversial director Oliver Stone's "W," the life story of President George W. Bush, a warts-and-all portrayal.

Though the movie is scheduled for release in 2009, there is a chance that it might be pushed up to come out before the November election, say insiders.

The movie, which starts filming this month with "No Country for Old Men" actor Josh Brolin playing Bush, paints a humanistic portrait of the president along with plenty of embarrassing anecdotes from his life story, judging by a copy of an early screenplay obtained by ABCNEWS.com.

read the rest..
http://abcnews.go.com/print?id=4563558

red states rule
04-01-2008, 06:14 PM
It will be a box office bomb and few people will go see it

Just like all the other anti war films

hjmick
04-01-2008, 07:17 PM
When was Stone last relevant? As a director, I'd say not since The Doors.

red states rule
04-01-2008, 07:18 PM

and most of Amercians do not want to see movies that cast US troops as rapists and murderers

dan
04-01-2008, 11:13 PM

Natural Born Killers, probably. A lot of people liked Any Given Sunday, but I don't think anybody really thought about it being an Oliver Stone film.

Roadrunner
04-02-2008, 08:15 AM
Oliver Stone is to film what Kitty Kelley is to "autobiographical" novels. Draw your own conclusion.

red states rule
04-02-2008, 08:18 AM
Oliver Stone is to film what Kitty Kelley is to "autobiographical" novels. Draw your own conclusion.

or Michale Moore to health eating habits

Abbey Marie
04-02-2008, 08:29 AM

Or Rev. Wright to Christianity

red states rule
04-02-2008, 08:32 AM
Or Rev. Wright to Christianity

or Bill Clinton to fidelity

Hagbard Celine
04-02-2008, 09:53 AM
or Bill Clinton to fidelity

Or intelligent reparte to DP.

red states rule
04-02-2008, 09:56 AM
Or intelligent reparte to DP.

or Hillary and Obama to honesty and integrity

Hagbard Celine
04-02-2008, 10:06 AM
or Hillary and Obama to honesty and integrity

:lame2: Maybe if you had a dog in the race you'd have room to talk. Unfortunately for you, the Conservative movement in the US has been such a dismal failure that the best they could muster is John McCain, a senior citizen who's only ace in the hole is a Vietnam service record. Despite this one notch in his belt, his pro-war stance is an albatross around the neck of his campaign that's drowning it in the sea of the anti-war American opinion, his tired economic stances fall on deaf ears in the low-value-dollar/high gas price economy and his loss in November is a foregone conclusion.

red states rule
04-02-2008, 10:08 AM
:lame2: Maybe if you had a dog in the race you'd have room to talk. Unfortunately for you, the Conservative movement in the US has been such a dismal failure that the best they could muster is John McCain, a senior citizen who's only ace in the hole is a Vietnam service record. Despite this one notch in his belt, his pro-war stance is an albatross around the neck of his campaign that's drowning it in the sea of the anti-war American opinion, his tired economic stances fall on deaf ears in the low-value-dollar/high gas price economy and his loss in November is a foregone conclusion.

We got McCain in part from libs in MI who crossed over and voted in the Republican primary

Now we are doing our part to do everything possible to help Hillary rip your party apart

And what are Dems offering in this election? More liberalism which has a 40 year history of failure

Hagbard Celine
04-02-2008, 10:13 AM
We got McCain in part from libs in MI who crossed over and voted in the Republican primary

Now we are doing our part to do everything possible to help Hillary rip your party apart

And what are Dems offering in this election? More liberalism which has a 40 year history of failure

Well it's sad to see that you're so committed to failure. What a miserable existence that would be. I hope people like you remain impotent in your quest to spread negativity and derision. In the meantime, the rest of us are going to continue to pick-up America's bootstraps and try to recover from eight years of dismal neo-conservative rule.

red states rule
04-02-2008, 10:15 AM
Well it's sad to see that you're so committed to failure. What a miserable existence that would be.

I do not think the voters are ready for another tax and spend liberal like the Dems are offering in Hillary and Obama

All they are offering are more handouts and appeasement to terroists

Dems are offering a leader, they are offering a babysitter to wetnurse their voters

dan
04-02-2008, 11:24 AM
ANYWAY.... Oliver Stone is undoubtedly a kook, and I don't think too many people see him as anything but anymore.

But, that having been said, he wrote and directed one of the best war films ever (Platoon) and wrote one of the best action movies ever (Scarface). And, although I'm sure I'm alone on this, I liked JFK a lot, too.

hjmick
04-02-2008, 11:34 AM
ANYWAY.... Oliver Stone is undoubtedly a kook, and I don't think too many people see him as anything but anymore.

But, that having been said, he wrote and directed one of the best war films ever (Platoon) and wrote one of the best action movies ever (Scarface). And, although I'm sure I'm alone on this, I liked JFK a lot, too.

Let's not forget that he produced The People Vs. Larry Flynt, another very good movie.

dan
04-02-2008, 11:40 AM
Let's not forget that he produced The People Vs. Larry Flynt, another very good movie.

Indeed. Even though it's about as whitewashed as you can get, it is a pretty entertaining movie.

Hagbard Celine
04-02-2008, 11:42 AM

I just see him as a director. (shrug) I kinda liked "Apocalypse Now." "Natty Born Killers" completely disturbed me. I think he likes to go over the top for dramatic effect. Whatever he does, I think discussion of his exploits need to be confined to the entertainment realm.

hjmick
04-02-2008, 11:46 AM
I kinda liked "Apocalypse Now."

Francis Ford Coppola is a far better director than Stone could ever dream of being.

Hagbard Celine
04-02-2008, 11:50 AM
Francis Ford Coppola is a far better director than Stone could ever dream of being.

I get Coppola, Stone and Scorsese confused for some reason. I think it's their mutual obsession with Vietnam.

MtnBiker
04-02-2008, 11:52 AM
The History Channel examined the "JFK" movie, they pretty much exposed several lies in the movie. The Magic Bullet theory that Stone presented was completely wrong.

dan
04-02-2008, 12:08 PM
I get Coppola, Stone and Scorsese confused for some reason. I think it's their mutual obsession with Vietnam.

I hope Martin Scorsese reads this and flies to ATL so he can bust your jaw loose! :D

Seriously, though, I think Scorsese is by far the greatest director working today. Stone, well we know where we stand on him. As for Coppola, looking over his resume on IMDB, the last movie he did that I thought was really good was The Outsiders. His daughter's a hell of a director, though.

dan
04-02-2008, 12:09 PM
The History Channel examined the "JFK" movie, they pretty much exposed several lies in the movie. The Magic Bullet theory that Stone presented was completely wrong.

Yeah, I don't take it as fact or anything, but I find it interesting in the same way I find all conspiracy theories interesting without really believing in any of them.

dan
04-02-2008, 12:13 PM
I just see him as a director. (shrug) I kinda liked "Apocalypse Now." "Natty Born Killers" completely disturbed me. I think he likes to go over the top for dramatic effect. Whatever he does, I think discussion of his exploits need to be confined to the entertainment realm.

Natural Born Killers was pretty good, but he really makes a huge effort to make an already-obvious point. That said, the sequence in the drug store set to "Rock & Roll Nigger" is an outstanding bit of cinema.

However, I disagree that his exploits need to be confined to the entertainment realm, as some of his movies (Platoon, Born on the 4th of July, JFK, Nixon) are very clearly coming from a personal place, and most of these movies are platforms for statements that Stone himself is trying to make.

Abbey Marie
04-02-2008, 12:32 PM

Platoon is in my top 5 movies list. Big ups for that one, though the book is even better.

dan
04-02-2008, 12:33 PM
Platoon is in my top 5 movies list. Big ups for that one, though the book is even better.

Abbey, did you really just use the phrase "Big ups"? :dance:

Abbey Marie
04-02-2008, 12:34 PM
Abbey, did you really just use the phrase "Big ups"? :dance:

No, that was my evil but beautiful twin! :laugh2: But we Bronxy girls get to say things like that.