PDA

View Full Version : Obama and the 'L' Word

red states rule
04-02-2008, 05:04 AM
It is the biggest insult you level at a liberal

Calling them waht they are - a liberal. It rattles them, and makes very angry. They know if they admit they are a liberal they can;t win a national election

Obama and the 'L' Word
By PETER WEHNER
April 2, 2008; Page A14

When it comes to being labeled "a liberal," Barack Obama is dismissive. "Oh, he's liberal. He's liberal," he said recently in describing a characterization of him by Republicans. "Let me tell you something. There's nothing liberal about wanting to reduce money in politics. It's common sense. . . . There's nothing liberal about wanting to make sure that everybody has health care."

Mr. Obama needs to inoculate himself against the claim that he's a liberal. For the past quarter-century it has been consistently the most effective charge made by Republicans against Democrats. America is a center-right country and in modern times has not elected a thoroughgoing liberal as president (Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton ran as moderate Democrats). The problem is that, by any reasonable standard, Mr. Obama is an orthodox liberal.

National Journal rated him as the most liberal person in the Senate in 2007, and for good reason. On economic policy, Mr. Obama favors higher income, Social Security and corporate taxes. He supports massive increases in domestic spending and greater government regulation of the economy. He favors a significantly larger role for the federal government in health care. He opposes the North American Free Trade Agreement.

Mr. Obama has criticized the Supreme Court's decision to uphold a partial birth abortion ban, and he wants to repeal the Defense of Marriage Act. He voted against John Roberts and Samuel Alito for the Supreme Court. In Illinois, Mr. Obama supported banning the manufacture, sale and possession of handguns. And he supports granting driver's licenses to illegal immigrants.

On national security matters, Mr. Obama voted to deny legal immunity to telecom companies that have cooperated with the government in warrantless wiretapping of suspected terrorists. He wants to grant habeas corpus rights to detainees held at Guantanamo Bay. He supports a full-scale withdrawal from Iraq. And he says, in his first year in office, he would meet with the leaders of Iran, Syria, Venezuela, Cuba and North Korea without preconditions.

It's no wonder that Mr. Obama has been endorsed by Moveon.org – one of the most radical groups within the liberal universe.

for the complete article

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120709783253682035.html?mod=opinion_main_comment aries

Immanuel
04-02-2008, 07:07 AM
It is the biggest insult you level at a liberal

Calling them waht they are - a liberal. It rattles them, and makes very angry. They know if they admit they are a liberal they can;t win a national election

Obama and the 'L' Word
By PETER WEHNER
April 2, 2008; Page A14

When it comes to being labeled "a liberal," Barack Obama is dismissive. "Oh, he's liberal. He's liberal," he said recently in describing a characterization of him by Republicans. "Let me tell you something. There's nothing liberal about wanting to reduce money in politics. It's common sense. . . . There's nothing liberal about wanting to make sure that everybody has health care."

Mr. Obama needs to inoculate himself against the claim that he's a liberal. For the past quarter-century it has been consistently the most effective charge made by Republicans against Democrats. America is a center-right country and in modern times has not elected a thoroughgoing liberal as president (Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton ran as moderate Democrats). The problem is that, by any reasonable standard, Mr. Obama is an orthodox liberal.

National Journal rated him as the most liberal person in the Senate in 2007, and for good reason. On economic policy, Mr. Obama favors higher income, Social Security and corporate taxes. He supports massive increases in domestic spending and greater government regulation of the economy. He favors a significantly larger role for the federal government in health care. He opposes the North American Free Trade Agreement.

Mr. Obama has criticized the Supreme Court's decision to uphold a partial birth abortion ban, and he wants to repeal the Defense of Marriage Act. He voted against John Roberts and Samuel Alito for the Supreme Court. In Illinois, Mr. Obama supported banning the manufacture, sale and possession of handguns. And he supports granting driver's licenses to illegal immigrants.

On national security matters, Mr. Obama voted to deny legal immunity to telecom companies that have cooperated with the government in warrantless wiretapping of suspected terrorists. He wants to grant habeas corpus rights to detainees held at Guantanamo Bay. He supports a full-scale withdrawal from Iraq. And he says, in his first year in office, he would meet with the leaders of Iran, Syria, Venezuela, Cuba and North Korea without preconditions.

It's no wonder that Mr. Obama has been endorsed by Moveon.org – one of the most radical groups within the liberal universe.

for the complete article

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120709783253682035.html?mod=opinion_main_comment aries

Funny how different it is with conservatives.

Conservatives are not afraid of being labeled--conservative. Rather they don't want to be associated with "today's conservatives"... who are actually liberal. :D

I'm proud of being a conservative! Just don't say that I am a George Bush conservative! Those would be fighting words. :poke:

But a liberal? A liberal will do anything to avoid being called a liberal, well most liberals that is, MFM being the one exception I can think of. Even so much as inventing new words that mean liberal but don't sound like "librul" ie progressives. A progressive is a liberal that doesn't want to be known as a liberal.

Immie

red states rule
04-02-2008, 07:26 AM
Funny how different it is with conservatives.

Conservatives are not afraid of being labeled--conservative. Rather they don't want to be associated with "today's conservatives"... who are actually liberal. :D

I'm proud of being a conservative! Just don't say that I am a George Bush conservative! Those would be fighting words. :poke:

But a liberal? A liberal will do anything to avoid being called a liberal, well most liberals that is, MFM being the one exception I can think of. Even so much as inventing new words that mean liberal but don't sound like "librul" ie progressives. A progressive is a liberal that doesn't want to be known as a liberal.

Immie

I have said often I am a Reonald Regan conservative, and I have taken RINO's to task. As well as those Republicans who have walked away from Reagan conservatism

Liberals on the other hand act like you punched their mom in the mouth when you call them what they are - a liberal

Hagbard Celine
04-02-2008, 09:47 AM
Anybody who is proud of being "labeled" and summed-up by one word is somebody I don't want to be associated with. Pining to be slapped into a stereotype and be part of a herd is by definition the "sheep mentality" and it's what is wrong with the political process.
If you're "proud" to be labeled "liberal" or "conservative" and stand up to be counted with all the scumbags in politics and in media that make up those groups, then you're a sad little person imo.

red states rule
04-02-2008, 09:50 AM
Anybody who is proud of being "labeled" and summed-up by one word is somebody I don't want to be associated with. Pining to be slapped into a stereotype and be part of a herd is by definition the "sheep mentality" and it's what is wrong with the political process.
If you're "proud" to be labeled "liberal" or "conservative" and stand up to be counted with all the scumbags in politics and in media that make up those groups, then you're a sad little person imo.

The last thing anyone on the left wants to do is to publicly state what they are for

First, they know they will lose a national elections

Second, the modern day Dem party does not have any principals to stan on. They chagne as the polls change

Thanks for showing why the word liberal is a four letter word to liberals

Immanuel
04-02-2008, 10:05 AM

I am proud of who I am. I sure would not want to live ashamed of myself. What a sad life that would be.

Immie

Hagbard Celine
04-02-2008, 10:09 AM
The last thing anyone on the left wants to do is to publicly state what they are for

First, they know they will lose a national elections

Second, the modern day Dem party does not have any principals to stan on. They chagne as the polls change

Thanks for showing why the word liberal is a four letter word to liberals

All I've "shown" is that the majority of the population's ideals are more complicated than a one-word moniker spat-out through the fat lips of some pompous radio talkshow host.
Good job catering to the lowest common denominator.

red states rule
04-02-2008, 10:13 AM
All I've "shown" is that the majority of the population's ideals are more complicated than a one-word moniker spat-out through the fat lips of some pompous radio talkshow host.
Good job catering to the lowest common denominator.

You have shown liberals hate to called what they are - liberals

It is the worst insult you can level at them

Hagbard Celine
04-02-2008, 10:20 AM
You have shown liberals hate to called what they are - liberals

It is the worst insult you can level at them

I think you want it to be because you're absolutely committed to spreading partisanship and derision. Personally though, I think you're pissing into the wind. I for one remain unruffled in the presence of your rabid thrashing.

red states rule
04-02-2008, 10:21 AM
I think you want it to be because you're absolutely committed to spreading partisanship and derision. Personally though, I think you're pissing into the wind. I for one remain unruffled in the presence of your rabid thrashing.

Not at all. I am committed to telling the truth about Dems and what they believe in and stand for

Only liberals would consider the truth rabid thrashing

Hagbard Celine
04-02-2008, 10:25 AM
Not at all. I am committed to telling the truth about Dems and what they believe in and stand for

Only liberals would consider the truth rabid thrashing

Yeah sure. That's why everything you post is slanted to villify everyone who doesn't share your worldview.

red states rule
04-02-2008, 10:27 AM
Yeah sure. That's why everything you post is slanted to villify everyone who doesn't share your worldview.

I am pointng out how the Dems want higher income taxes, higher capital gaines taxes, higher gas taxes, higher excise taxes

They want surredner and appeasemnt in Iraq

They want more government control of business

They want liberal judges who make law from the bench

They want government run health care

That is their aganda