PDA

View Full Version : YouTube Warned to Remove Koran Film

stephanie
04-02-2008, 03:14 PM
By Patrick Goodenough
CNSNews.com International Editor
April 02, 2008

(CNSNews.com) - The government of the world's most populous Islamic state says YouTube has two days to take down a Dutch lawmaker's provocative film on the Koran or it will block access to the popular video-sharing Web site.

The warning by Indonesia came as the U.N.'s primary human rights watchdog ended a month-long session amid allegations by Western member-states and non-governmental organizations that Islamic nations are working to curtail free speech.

Geert Wilder's 16-minute film linking Islam's revered text with terrorism has sparked protests in a number of countries. It also drew criticism from the Arab League, the Organization of the Islamic Conference (OIC) and the European Union.

In Indonesia, a former Dutch colony, Information Minister Mohammad Nuh told a press briefing in Jakarta Tuesday he had sent a letter to YouTube demanding the film, "Fitna," be removed. If it did not comply, he said, the government in cooperation with Internet service providers would block the site.

As of early Wednesday afternoon Indonesian time, attempts to view at least one earlier-available upload of the movie on YouTube brought up a message saying, "This video has been removed due to terms of use violation."

But the film has been uploaded on YouTube by multiple users and can still be found with a simple search in both its English and Dutch versions.

In response to queries, a YouTube spokesperson said the site allows people "to express themselves and to communicate with a global audience."

"The diversity of the world in which we live -- spanning the vast dimensions of ethnicity, religion, nationality, language, political opinion, gender, and sexual orientation, to name a few -- means that some of the beliefs and views of some individuals may offend others," she said.

read the rest..
http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewCulture.asp?Page=/Culture/archive/200804/CUL20080402b.html

Hagbard Celine
04-02-2008, 03:16 PM
Who want's to play "Will they fold?"

04-02-2008, 03:32 PM
so stupid..... i am tired of this censoring bullcrap.

Gaffer
04-02-2008, 03:48 PM
islam trying to censor what the rest of the world says. Imagine that. And coming out of indonesia of all places. That bastion of islamic culture pointed at by islam apologists as an example of islam being tolerant.

diuretic
04-02-2008, 04:51 PM
Why did YouTube remove it? Anyone know? I mean, the Indonesian government could simply have blocked it if they were concerned about their own people viewing it (that's not an expression of acceptance, I don't accept it) and YouTube could have kept it on there for those in countries with freedom of expression to view it.

actsnoblemartin
04-02-2008, 05:05 PM
the religion of peace is at it again

:laugh2:

diversity in the muslim world: shia, sunni, dead infidel

:coffee:

By Patrick Goodenough
CNSNews.com International Editor
April 02, 2008

(CNSNews.com) - The government of the world's most populous Islamic state says YouTube has two days to take down a Dutch lawmaker's provocative film on the Koran or it will block access to the popular video-sharing Web site.

The warning by Indonesia came as the U.N.'s primary human rights watchdog ended a month-long session amid allegations by Western member-states and non-governmental organizations that Islamic nations are working to curtail free speech.

Geert Wilder's 16-minute film linking Islam's revered text with terrorism has sparked protests in a number of countries. It also drew criticism from the Arab League, the Organization of the Islamic Conference (OIC) and the European Union.

In Indonesia, a former Dutch colony, Information Minister Mohammad Nuh told a press briefing in Jakarta Tuesday he had sent a letter to YouTube demanding the film, "Fitna," be removed. If it did not comply, he said, the government in cooperation with Internet service providers would block the site.

As of early Wednesday afternoon Indonesian time, attempts to view at least one earlier-available upload of the movie on YouTube brought up a message saying, "This video has been removed due to terms of use violation."

But the film has been uploaded on YouTube by multiple users and can still be found with a simple search in both its English and Dutch versions.

In response to queries, a YouTube spokesperson said the site allows people "to express themselves and to communicate with a global audience."

"The diversity of the world in which we live -- spanning the vast dimensions of ethnicity, religion, nationality, language, political opinion, gender, and sexual orientation, to name a few -- means that some of the beliefs and views of some individuals may offend others," she said.

read the rest..
http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewCulture.asp?Page=/Culture/archive/200804/CUL20080402b.html

Hobbit
04-03-2008, 11:33 AM
If I was YouTube (or, I guess, Google, since they own it), I'd, say, "Oh, so your piss-poor craphole of a country is going to block access to the most popular video site in the world for not voluntarily denying one video access to the world simply because the backwards, theocratic dictatorship that runs the country disagrees with the message?"

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/images/flip_nbc.jpg

Enjoy fascism, and have fun trying to keep your citizens from going through a proxy, and good luck with that whole 'censor the rest of the world' thing.

Of course, if I ran Google, it would be available in China, either, because I'd refuse to work with the government censors.