PDA

View Full Version : Demon art, pass. Christian art, Fail

04-02-2008, 03:30 PM
http://michellemalkin.com/2008/04/01/demon-art-pass-christian-art-fail/

cant really see much difference in the drawings. So unlesss the kid was giving a specific assignment and that wasnt it, i dont see why he should fail.

Hagbard Celine
04-02-2008, 04:10 PM
Looks like a t-shirt you'd pick up at a truck stop.

Pale Rider
04-02-2008, 05:23 PM
http://michellemalkin.com/2008/04/01/demon-art-pass-christian-art-fail/

cant really see much difference in the drawings. So unlesss the kid was giving a specific assignment and that wasnt it, i dont see why he should fail.

I like this comment...

On April 1st, 2008 at 4:13 pm, Boomer said:

I guess picture “A” should have been in a jar of urine then it would qualify for a Federal funding grant and media acclaim instead of earning a zero from a mindless liberal drone of the NEA.

bullypulpit
04-02-2008, 08:16 PM
That the source was Michelle Malkin is a red flag that the story is much ado about nothing. Just more hyperbole, teeth-gnashing and rending of clothing over another non-issue by one of the nuttier of the RWN's.

As for the art, religious content seems to have been irrelevant. Drawings "B" and "C" were simply better executed.

Hobbit
04-03-2008, 12:08 PM
That the source was Michelle Malkin is a red flag that the story is much ado about nothing. Just more hyperbole, teeth-gnashing and rending of clothing over another non-issue by one of the nuttier of the RWN's.

As for the art, religious content seems to have been irrelevant. Drawings "B" and "C" were simply better executed.

There's a link on the page to a source outside 'the vast right-wing conspiracy,' and you must be blind if you think drawing A deserved a failing grade. It's better than I could do on a good day.

bullypulpit
04-03-2008, 01:35 PM
There's a link on the page to a source outside 'the vast right-wing conspiracy,' and you must be blind if you think drawing A deserved a failing grade. It's better than I could do on a good day.

I didn't say anything about the grade drawing 'A' should have gotten, I simply stated that drawings 'B' and 'C' were better executed.

Hagbard Celine
04-03-2008, 01:44 PM
I didn't say anything about the grade drawing 'A' should have gotten, I simply stated that drawings 'B' and 'C' were better executed.

I agreed when I first looked at this thread but I didn't want to say anything just to avoid the usual ranting. However, since you mention it, drawing A is cheesy. It looks like a bad 1980s hair band album cover. It's a simple attempt at point of origin, but it's pretty badly executed.

Hobbit
04-03-2008, 01:46 PM
I agreed when I first looked at this thread but I didn't want to say anything just to avoid the usual ranting. However, since you mention it, drawing A is cheesy. It looks like a bad 1980s hair band album cover. It's a simple attempt at point of origin, but it's pretty badly executed.

Unlike drawings B and C, which look like generic heavy metal album covers?

Edit: Instead of playing art critic, let's concentrate on the meat of the matter. That is, not only did the school enforce an unconstitutional policy forbidding religious expression in artwork by students, it also enforced it inconsistently by giving a zero and 2 detentions to a student depicting Christian symbols, which two other students received high marks for drawing Satanic symbols.

Hagbard Celine
04-03-2008, 01:53 PM
Unlike drawings B and C, which look like generic heavy metal album covers?

Edit: Instead of playing art critic, let's concentrate on the meat of the matter. That is, not only did the school enforce an unconstitutional policy forbidding religious expression in artwork by students, it also enforced it inconsistently by giving a zero and 2 detentions to a student depicting Christian symbols, which two other students received high marks for drawing Satanic symbols.

Playing art critic is much more fun that playing news critic imo. (shrug)
Have you ever stopped to consider that maybe the lesson called for the students to draw Satanic pictures and kid A didn't follow directions? :poke:

Hobbit
04-03-2008, 01:59 PM
Playing art critic is much more fun that playing news critic imo. (shrug)
Have you ever stopped to consider that maybe the lesson called for the students to draw Satanic pictures and kid A didn't follow directions? :poke:

Somehow, I seriously doubt that, and even if it were true, then that amounts to, at best, an unconstitutional policy inconsistently enforced against Christians, which the school should get it trouble for.

Hagbard Celine
04-03-2008, 02:04 PM
Somehow, I seriously doubt that, and even if it were true, then that amounts to, at best, an unconstitutional policy inconsistently enforced against Christians, which the school should get it trouble for.

What if it was a really specialized class on Gothic art and the assignment was for the students to portray their favorite characters from some of the judgment paintings? Kid A still wouldn't pass.

Hagbard Celine
04-03-2008, 02:28 PM
Demons are really where it's at. Nobody really likes angels anyway. They're always watching you go to the bathroom and breathing over you at night when you sleep. I can totally see why this kid got an F.

DragonStryk72
04-03-2008, 06:12 PM
This was blatantly lop-sided, and as well, a clear case of a school overstepping the bounds of their role. No school, no government institution, has the right to give a student a zero for honest work, or for expressing themselves in a class built around expression (you know, like... art). I mean, shit, if you can't express yourself in the creative arts classes, when do you get to?

However, I do think that the article is drawing too much from it. Most likely, the school was attempting to protect itself from suit, and simply overstepped their boundaries. They did overstep them by an insane amount though.

bullypulpit
04-06-2008, 01:21 PM
Demons are really where it's at. Nobody really likes angels anyway. They're always watching you go to the bathroom and breathing over you at night when you sleep. I can totally see why this kid got an F.

And, If you read the Bible carefully, you'll find that when God wants a killing done, he(she?) sends an angel.

Yurt
04-06-2008, 07:42 PM
i am probably not considered an "expert" on art, however, i have taken a total of three art classes in my lifetime, and as former poster here (maybe still around) used to say....my 30 credits of ...make me an expert...so, consider me an expert based on precedent....

as far as point of origin goes....there is no way that it deserved a zero, to say that it deserved a zero is to have no clue about students taking an art class. for those that pass this off as nothing....what is your reason for believing the piece deserved a zero?

Said1
04-06-2008, 08:18 PM
I liked picuture A. I do, however, think there's a lot more to the story.

Yurt
04-06-2008, 09:08 PM
I liked picuture A. I do, however, think there's a lot more to the story.

so what...you're an art critique'e now?

:)

Said1
04-06-2008, 09:28 PM
so what...you're an art critique'e now?

:)

I didn't critique it. I'm not sure why you spelled it the way you did, but whatever it means, I'm sure it's really funny.

Yurt
04-06-2008, 09:35 PM
I didn't critique it. I'm not sure why you spelled it the way you did, but whatever it means, I'm sure it's really funny.

i guess not that funny...oooops