PDA

View Full Version : Democrats propose a solution to economic problems

Little-Acorn
04-03-2008, 10:33 AM
http://media.townhall.com/Townhall/Car/b/repllaw.jpg

5stringJeff
04-03-2008, 12:33 PM
Unfortunately, there are many on the left who think they can do just that. Socialized health care, anyone?

red states rule
04-03-2008, 01:40 PM
Amazing how Libs demand the oil companies work to find alternate sources of energy, thus putting themselves out of business

retiredman
04-03-2008, 01:43 PM
Amazing how Libs demand the oil companies work to find alternate sources of energy, thus putting themselves out of business

why, if an oil company found an alternative source of energy, would that put them out of business and not simply provide them with a new line of business?

red states rule
04-03-2008, 01:46 PM
why, if an oil company found an alternative source of energy, would that put them out of business and not simply provide them with a new line of business?

It is like Congress demanding Ford dealerships to get rid of their cars, and sell only GM cars

Immanuel
04-03-2008, 01:48 PM

I disagree.

If I controlled an oil company, I would be seeking alternatives right now. I would be buying up every company that came out with a plausible alternative. I'd be attempting to corner the market on any future energy sources, keeping the alternative under my belt until the time when I could make a profit on the alternative.

Wait... isn't that what the oil companies are doing right now? Any plausible alternative gets bought out and suppressed by the oil companies. It will be funny the day that it costs just too much money to pull oil out of the ground. That day we will see the new alternative energy source and it WILL come from an oil company.

Just a prediction of course.

Immie

retiredman
04-03-2008, 01:49 PM
It is like Congress demanding Ford dealerships to get rid of their cars, and sell only GM cars

no it's not! That is a silly and completely erroneous analogy!

It is developing a new product line. Are you really incapable of seeing the difference between developing new alternative energy sources and banning oil?

We will be using petroleum based products for decades and decades. Continuing to develop new product lines is a wise business model.

red states rule
04-03-2008, 01:50 PM
I disagree.

If I controlled an oil company, I would be seeking alternatives right now. I would be buying up every company that came out with a plausible alternative. I'd be attempting to corner the market on any future energy sources, keeping the alternative under my belt until the time when I could make a profit on the alternative.

Wait... isn't that what the oil companies are doing right now? Any plausible alternative gets bought out and suppressed by the oil companies. It will be funny the day that it costs just too much money to pull oil out of the ground. That day we will see the new alternative energy source and it WILL come from an oil company.

Just a prediction of course.

Immie

Why? There are billions of barrels of oil within the US just sitting in the ground. Yet the enviro wackos say we can't get it

One field would up our reserves by a factor of 10

Little-Acorn
04-03-2008, 01:54 PM
Any plausible alternative gets bought out and suppressed by the oil companies.

Really? Like what? Do tell!

Hobbit
04-03-2008, 01:55 PM

It is developing a new product line. Are you really incapable of seeing the difference between developing new alternative energy sources and banning oil?

We will be using petroleum based products for decades and decades. Continuing to develop new product lines is a wise business model.

Ok, it's more like Congress demanding Ford stop selling cars and instead sell bicycles.

Immanuel
04-03-2008, 01:56 PM
Why? There are billions of barrellls of oil within the US just sitting in the ground. Yet the enviro wackos say we can't get it

One field would up our reserves by a factor of 10

But it will eventually run out or cost too much to produce and when it does the oil companies will "save the day". If I'm alive when that happens, which I highly doubt I will be, I'll be asking, "how come now you suddenly have an alternative when we have been screaming for one for X number of years?"

Immie

retiredman
04-03-2008, 01:59 PM
Ok, it's more like Congress demanding Ford stop selling cars and instead sell bicycles.

when has congress DEMANDED that the oil companies STOP selling oil?

I'll wait.

Immanuel
04-03-2008, 02:00 PM
Really? Like what? Do tell!

Solar... wind... electric...

I'm not an engineer. The alternatives are there.

But, maybe you should try reading what I said. I said, "If I controlled the oil companies...", that is what I would be doing.

I would not be sitting on my laurels waiting for oil to dry up. I'd be looking towards the future... planning ahead so to speak.

Look up and read, "Marketing Myopia". It's an interesting article.

Immie

red states rule
04-03-2008, 02:07 PM
But it will eventually run out or cost too much to produce and when it does the oil companies will "save the day". If I'm alive when that happens, which I highly doubt I will be, I'll be asking, "how come now you suddenly have an alternative when we have been screaming for one for X number of years?"

Immie

I have heard that line for decades

And evey year, new and bigger finds are discovered

Immanuel
04-03-2008, 02:12 PM
I have heard that line for decades

And evey year, new and bigger finds are discovered

Oh, I agree.

But the way I see things is that eventually the cost of drilling for oil will become too great... all good things come to an end... and the profit that oil companies can make on it will begin to dwindle. Eventually the well will run dry. And when it does, the oil companies will be better served if they planned for that day.

Note: I don't expect this to happen in our lifetimes... but then if the price of gas keeps going up... who knows? Maybe we will quit buying. :laugh2: Haha, fat chance!

Immie

red states rule
04-03-2008, 02:15 PM
Oh, I agree.

But the way I see things is that eventually the cost of drilling for oil will become too great... all good things come to an end... and the profit that oil companies can make on it will begin to dwindle. Eventually the well will run dry. And when it does, the oil companies will be better served if they planned for that day.

Note: I don't expect this to happen in our lifetimes... but then if the price of gas keeps going up... who knows? Maybe we will quit buying. :laugh2: Haha, fat chance!

Immie

The answer is simple. Tell the enviro wackos to shut the hell up. Take the handcuffs off the oil companies - let them build new/expand refineries; and let them start drilling

We would have our own supply of oil

Libs will then meltdown as gas prices fall, and people start buying SIV's again

actsnoblemartin
04-03-2008, 02:33 PM
thats absolutely hysterical

http://media.townhall.com/Townhall/Car/b/repllaw.jpg

5stringJeff
04-03-2008, 02:33 PM

Indeed. And, as more and more people begin to demand products that use alternative energy (i.e. electric cars), the better positioned a company woudl be if it could offer such products.

Little-Acorn
04-03-2008, 02:44 PM
Solar...
Being developed and utilized in many places such as Yermo, NV and others.

wind...
Widely utilized in places such as southern California, Nebraska, Texas, Colorado, Wyoming, and with plans in Massachusetts (except Ted Kennedy is preventing it there).

electric...
Every major manufacturer has at least one (some have several) models of electric or partially-electric drive cars on the market, and has had for years.

I'm not an engineer.
Clearly.

The alternatives are there.
And you have yet to provide the slightest backing for your statement that oil companies are somehow "suppressing" them.

5stringJeff
04-03-2008, 02:51 PM
Every major manufacturer has at least one (some have several) models of electric or partially-electric drive cars on the market, and has had for years.

Now that I would like to see a link to. Where are all these electric cars by the major manufacturers?

red states rule
04-03-2008, 02:54 PM
Now that I would like to see a link to. Where are all these electric cars by the major manufacturers?

In the junk yard? From what I have read about them, they are worthless

Immanuel
04-03-2008, 02:56 PM
Being developed and utilized in many places such as Yermo, NV and others.

Widely utilized in places such as southern California, Nebraska, Texas, Colorado, Wyoming, and with plans in Massachusetts (except Ted Kennedy is preventing it there).

Clearly.

And you have yet to provide the slightest backing for your statement that oil companies are somehow "suppressing" them.

I said, I would be buying them up. I said, I would be doing everything I could do to control them. Do I have proof that they are? No. Don't need it either. It is an accusation.

Don't you work for one? Did I strike a nerve? What is that saying about the truth hurting?

Immie

Immanuel
04-03-2008, 03:00 PM

They are out there.

But it proves nothing. The major manufacturers that he is speaking of are the auto industries. Which are tied very closely with the oil companies. The oil companies have control of the electrical automobile manufacturers thus they control this form of energy as well. Hybrids too!

One more thing, that Little Acorn should see. I didn't come down on the oil industries. I didn't accuse them of wrong doing. I didn't say they were evil for doing it. I simply said, they control energy and are doing their best to maintain that control.

Can you blame them?

Immie

Little-Acorn
04-03-2008, 04:18 PM
I said, I would be buying them up. I said, I would be doing everything I could do to control them. Do I have proof that they are? No. Don't need it either. It is an accusation.
OK, I see. No evidence at all of what you are accusing them of doing. Yet somehow it's OK to make such a public accusation, in hopes that people will believe it. Got it.

The major manufacturers that he is speaking of are the auto industries. Which are tied very closely with the oil companies. The oil companies have control of the electrical automobile manufacturers
Let me guess: Another accusation? For which you have no evidence? Yet feel that making such a charge publicly is OK anyway?

I'm trying to figure out how the liberal mind works here. Your explanations light up some dark corners. Thanks, I think.

Don't you work for one?
Correct, I don't.

What is that saying about the truth hurting?
Does it have anything to do with motivating some people to make unfounded accusations based on what they WISH were true, but can't find any evidence of, and don't like the pain of being wrong about it?

red states rule
04-04-2008, 04:13 AM
The basic foundation of the Dems economic platform is to screw workers and companies with tens of billions of dollars in new taxes

How the hell Dems think that will bring prosperity goes against basic economic principals

Immanuel
04-04-2008, 06:58 AM
OK, I see. No evidence at all of what you are accusing them of doing. Yet somehow it's OK to make such a public accusation, in hopes that people will believe it. Got it.

Let me guess: Another accusation? For which you have no evidence? Yet feel that making such a charge publicly is OK anyway?

I'm trying to figure out how the liberal mind works here. Your explanations light up some dark corners. Thanks, I think.

Correct, I don't.

Does it have anything to do with motivating some people to make unfounded accusations based on what they WISH were true, but can't find any evidence of, and don't like the pain of being wrong about it?

Actually, you completely misunderstand me.

I'm not accusing them of doing anything wrong at all. I see nothing wrong with a corporation thinking ahead and preparing for the future. In fact, I think and pray to God they are.

I don't have a clue why you are so moronic about this. What the fudge is your problem?

The point is... I'm not worried about running out of oil someday in the future. Why should I be? When the time is right the oil companies will come up with the next technology that we need to move on. They have it now. If we suddenly ran out of oil today, tomorrow they would have a solution and within a year or two we'd be just as dependant on them then as we are today. So why sweat it?

I fully believe that the oil companies are controlling energy and technology research and development (in much the way that Microsoft has controlled the computer industry) and I don't see a problem with that. Better the oil companies who have the ability to move forward when we need it than some fly by night company that is here today... gone tomorrow.

So, what is your problem?

Immie

diuretic
04-04-2008, 08:05 AM

Not so RSR, it's more like Ford and GM (and the others) thinking of themselves as manufacturers of private transportation rather than cars (and similar vehicles). Other points have been made that some oil companies are re-thinking and re-making themselves as being in the energy business rather than the oil business.

red states rule
04-04-2008, 03:12 PM
Not so RSR, it's more like Ford and GM (and the others) thinking of themselves as manufacturers of private transportation rather than cars (and similar vehicles). Other points have been made that some oil companies are re-thinking and re-making themselves as being in the energy business rather than the oil business.

What right does the government have to order any company they that nthey have to change what product line they are offering

Dems has threatened oil companies if they do not do as they are told, they will take their profits and do on their own

Sounds like how the mafia operates