PDA

View Full Version : Baby Born to 14 yo in Middle School Bathroom Dies in Flush Attempt

LiberalNation
04-03-2008, 05:16 PM
Was no one looking for this girl when she didn't come back to class.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,345290,00.html

BAYTOWN, Texas — A 14-year-old Texas teenager on Wednesday gave birth in the bathroom of a middle school but the baby died when the mother allegedly tried to flush it, MyFOXHouston.com reports.

Police said the student told counselors she had given birth and attempted to flush the baby inside a restroom at Cedar Bayou Jr. High School, the story says.

04-03-2008, 05:25 PM
was no one looking when she was obviously 9 months pregnant? or when screams were coming from the bathroom?

Mr. P
04-03-2008, 05:28 PM
Come on guys, public schools are not "baby sitters".

Lizabeth
04-03-2008, 05:31 PM
Exactly!!!! where were all the teachers and counselors for 9 months? With the clothes these girls wear how could they not know she was pregnant. What about gym class - locker room. . . Hello?!

LiberalNation
04-03-2008, 05:33 PM
They knew she was pregnant but that doesn't mean they were gona look out for her.

Poor kid, prolly wasn't in her right mind after going thru hours of labor and birth in a bathroom all alone and for the first time.

Lizabeth
04-03-2008, 05:36 PM
They knew she was pregnant but that doesn't mean they were gona look out for her.

Poor kid, prolly wasn't in her right mind after going thru hours of labor and birth in a bathroom all alone and for the first time.

I hope your kidding.

Mr. P
04-03-2008, 05:37 PM

Like I said...public schools are not "baby sitters".

LiberalNation
04-03-2008, 05:40 PM
I hope your kidding.
about which part. No the schools don't watch very close, I can easily see how she coulda started having pains, got a pass out of class, gone to a bathroom, and this happened with the school not even bothering to look for her when she didn't come back. Prolly just thought she was skipping, they don't keep good track of you. They write it down and a few weeks later your called to the office for dention if the teacher bothered to report it to them.

Little-Acorn
04-03-2008, 05:41 PM
Ummmm... where were her parents?

Sorry for bringing up an irrelevant consideration.

But what exactly did they (or Mom only if that's what the family was) have to do, that was more important than watching a pregnant 14-year-old in her ninth month?

04-03-2008, 05:42 PM

actually, yeah it does. They have a duty of care to look out for their students while the students are in their custody. If they knew the girl was pregnant and she disappears for several hours, i think there is a very strong argument for a duty that they should have been looking for her.

But the real question is did no one use the bathroom? I cant imagine she had a smooth childbirth. Hell didnt anyone walk past the bathroom? How the heck could you not hear a woman in labor?

LiberalNation
She was at school, the parents aren't gona go to school with her and a lot of girls don't check themselves out of school to prepare/wait on the birth till the last possible moment so they have less make up.

Ummmm... where were her parents?

Sorry for bringing up an irrelevant consideration.

But what exactly did they (or Mom only if that's what the family was) have to do, that was more important than watching a pregnant 14-year-old in her ninth month?

totally agree here. this is a consideration. where are the parents in this?

LiberalNation
04-03-2008, 05:44 PM
but the real question is did no one use the bathroom? I cant imagine she had a smooth childbirth. Hell didnt anyone walk past the bathroom? How the heck could you not hear a woman in labor?
depends, their are some more remote bathrooms at school people avoid. Another article I read said other students reported it when they heard the baby crying. Maybe she didn't cry out, weird case all around really.

Lizabeth
04-03-2008, 05:44 PM
I am sorry, I really thought you were being glib. I just find it amazing that no one who was in contact with this 14 year old on a daily basis didn't know or it wasn't the subject of gossip. I don't even want to know about the parents at this point.

LiberalNation
04-03-2008, 05:45 PM
actually, yeah it does. They have a duty of care to look out for their students while the students are in their custody. If they knew the girl was pregnant and she disappears for several hours, i think there is a very strong argument for a duty that they should have been looking for her.

You'd think, but at the highschool level they really don't. You don't come back they just assume your skipping and don't worry about it.

Lizabeth
04-03-2008, 05:47 PM
depends, their are some more remote bathrooms at school people avoid. Another article I read said other students reported it when they heard the baby crying. Maybe she didn't cry out, weird case all around really.

That is usually the bathroom the kids are smoking in! I can't believe she was not heard even if it was remote. There is an echo in bathrooms and in halls

04-03-2008, 05:55 PM
You'd think, but at the highschool level they really don't. You don't come back they just assume your skipping and don't worry about it.

then they have a potential law suit on their hands.

Sitarro
04-03-2008, 06:08 PM
I'm sure that it is somehow, President Bush's fault.

5stringJeff
04-03-2008, 06:10 PM
The parents of this 14-year old are the first ones to blame - what were they doing for their child? But the school officials who let her give birth in their bathroom and then allow a student to kill a newborn by drowning it in a toilet are not much better.

LiberalNation
04-04-2008, 10:19 AM
story update

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080404/ap_on_re_us/bathroom_baby;_ylt=Anfa75zGNAvqdLr8L6DkwKJvzwcF

An autopsy confirmed the baby was alive when born Wednesday at Cedar Bayou Junior High in Baytown, near Houston. The boy was probably full term and cried before the mother, an eighth-grader, tried to flush him, said police Lt. Eric Freed.

The mother was taken to a hospital. People who knew her at school said she wore baggy clothing, and nobody suspected she was pregnant, The Houston Chronicle reported Thursday.

School officials learned of her pregnancy when another student who was in the restroom while the eighth-grader was in labor went to ask the school nurse for help, said Kathy Clausen, spokeswoman for Baytown's Goose Creek school district.

The nurse and an assistant principal ran to the bathroom, discovered the girl had given birth and called 911.
Authorities have not announced what charges the girl will face, if any. Killing an infant is a capital crime in Texas, but 14-year-olds are too young to be eligible for the death penalty, said Geoffrey Corn, an assistant professor at South Texas College of Law.

gabosaurus
04-05-2008, 11:20 AM
Here is another update: The teen not only denies that she knew she was pregnant, but she denies giving birth.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5673165.html

Now I have never given birth, but I sure that DP members who have probably realized that they had done so. I am thinking that delivering a child is not something you do without noticing. :rolleyes:

Mr. P
04-05-2008, 11:39 AM
Here is another update: The teen not only denies that she knew she was pregnant, but she denies giving birth.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5673165.html

Now I have never given birth, but I sure that DP members who have probably realized that they had done so. I am thinking that delivering a child is not something you do without noticing. :rolleyes:

No kidding!

Look it was another student that went for help. Apparently she knew something was really wrong in that stall. So for the girl to deny is just BS. And then there is the umbilical cord, it doesn't just brake off buy itself. Then the autopsy...how do they know the kid was crying and breathing? WATER IN THE LUNGS! SHE HEARD IT! She KNEW IT!

GEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZ I didn't know is such BS!!!

LiberalNation
04-05-2008, 12:36 PM
She's out her mind or scared and lying on top of lying. Prolly both.

I knew a lady who was in denial about being pregnant up until she went in to labor at work and even then she was denying it. Saying something else must be causing the pain.