PDA

View Full Version : Typical White Person: Stereotype?

Yurt
04-03-2008, 08:32 PM
certain members here believe that saying someone is a typical white person is not stereotyping. since we can't turn the blog into the forum, MFM, bring us your preconceived notions....

for background see Yurt's blog post and following comments

retiredman
04-03-2008, 09:01 PM
certain members here believe that saying someone is a typical white person is not stereotyping. since we can't turn the blog into the forum, MFM, bring us your preconceived notions....

my comment to your blob entry speaks for itself.

After you pissed on our truce, I am not about to hop through any fucking HOOPS for you, asshole. I don't bring NOTHIN' to you on command. Got it?

Yurt
04-03-2008, 09:29 PM

After you pissed on our truce, I am not about to hop through any fucking HOOPS for you, asshole. I don't bring NOTHIN' to you on command. Got it?

i did not piss on our truce, i merely said it was over because you hypocritically insulted another members intelligence -- when you made a big stinky deal about me teasing you about yours after i told you that i don't care i you make fun of me for my intelligence....you said it was an insult to YOU...we talked and agreed to a truce, i said until you "deserve" it, and you knew from our prior discussions that "deserve" meant you insulting others and whining about when you GIVE the same treatment.

you always seem angrier at night....

anyways, care to address my points or are you going to continue your insults without debate. btw, you're going to soon need a bridge to debate here.....crymeariver is at flood levels

retiredman
04-03-2008, 09:31 PM
like I said, my comment to your blog speaks for itself.

Yurt
04-03-2008, 09:35 PM
like I said, my comment to your blog speaks for itself.

i disagree:

He isn’t saying that he has any exaggerated or preconceived ideas about a social group based upon their appearance. He is saying that his grandmother does. The fact that his grandmother stereotypes is not an admission that he does.

then how is she a “typical white” person? he said she is a typical white person, he thus based a preconceived idea about a social group based solely on their appearance.

if it did, then you should easily dispose of my response....

retiredman
04-03-2008, 09:39 PM
"fixed impressions, exaggerated or preconceived ideas about particular social groups, usually based solely on physical appearance."

I dont think his idea is exaggerated, or preconceived and I don't think it is based solely on physical appearance, but rather upon cultural norms.

Yurt
04-03-2008, 09:41 PM
"fixed impressions, exaggerated or preconceived ideas about particular social groups, usually based solely on physical appearance."

I dont think his idea is exaggerated, or preconceived and I don't think it is based solely on physical appearance, but rather upon cultural norms.

so "white" people are a culture?

Yurt
04-03-2008, 09:42 PM
and thank you for the debate

retiredman
04-03-2008, 09:44 PM

in the context of America, they are.

retiredman
04-03-2008, 09:46 PM
and thank you for the debate
you're welcome

Yurt
04-03-2008, 09:48 PM
in the context of America, they are.

whoa betsy, obama did not say that. however, lets continue your line of thought.....then blacks are also a culture and there is a TYPICAL BLACK PERSON

right?

retiredman
04-03-2008, 09:56 PM
whoa betsy, obama did not say that. however, lets continue your line of thought.....then blacks are also a culture and there is a TYPICAL BLACK PERSON

right?

from a white person's perspective, I suppose their might be....one that would cause that white person that sees some apparently typical black person on the street that they don't know (pause) there’s a reaction in them that doesn’t go away and it comes out in the wrong way.

manu1959
04-03-2008, 11:02 PM

spreading god's word i see............

Hagbard Celine
04-03-2008, 11:35 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I have so little going on in my life that I have time to take offense to this. Who's with me?!

Yurt
04-03-2008, 11:49 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I have so little going on in my life that I have time to take offense to this. Who's with me?!

you first because i like you and you crack me up. if you would get out of the Cave Nono Nonew's grasp, you would be fine. howz the house?

lets examine the cult follower:

right?

manfrommaine;226402]from a white person's perspective, I suppose their might be...

didn't ask that, ask you according to YOUR logic....dodgeball

one that would cause that white person

.... "that" white "person", instead of typical white person.

that sees some apparently typical black person on the street that they don't know (pause) there’s a reaction in them that doesn’t go away and it comes out in the wrong way.

and we can all see the racist/bigot way MFM finishes his point. it is now switched around to "apparently" -- insuating the white man-- is now thinking of the "typical" black person.

MFM, you have got to be kidding me with your defense of this

Hagbard Celine
04-03-2008, 11:53 PM
I don't know about you guys but I have so little going on in my life that I have time to be offended by this. Who's with me?!

Hagbard Celine
04-03-2008, 11:54 PM
Lol

Yurt
04-04-2008, 12:01 AM
Lol

the echo is the padded walls closing in hag...

Hagbard Celine
04-04-2008, 12:19 AM

I don't know what the deal is. New posts aren't populating right away so I end up posting twice. I'm using a strange laptop.

actsnoblemartin
04-04-2008, 03:01 AM
typical black person = racist

typical white person = P.C

under liberal

actsnoblemartin
04-04-2008, 03:03 AM
im sure barrack didnt mean to make a racist statement.

The point is, we cant have a real conservation about this issue at all. Because if your white, your racist by default according to the democratic party.

I don't know about you guys but I have so little going on in my life that I have time to be offended by this. Who's with me?!

actsnoblemartin
04-04-2008, 03:05 AM
spreading god's word i see............

:lmao:

Yurt
04-04-2008, 05:04 PM
I don't know what the deal is. New posts aren't populating right away so I end up posting twice. I'm using a strange laptop.

is it an apple? you wireless or wired? might be the internal wireless card, i disable mine (wife's laptop) and use an after market wireless card, works better.

so is MFM finished? is he admitting that obama did indeed stereotype white people?

04-04-2008, 07:41 PM

not sure anyone is offended. Everyone is just sick and tired of his prejudice while trying to pretend he is as pure as snow.

Yurt
04-04-2008, 09:32 PM
how typical of MFM to run from this...

retiredman
04-04-2008, 09:39 PM
how typical of MFM to run from this...
I am sorry. I just got back from a testimonial dinner for the retiring comptroller of my former employer. I want to assure you that I am not "running from this", but I might be somewhat flattered by your obsequious obsession with me...if it weren't so creepy.

As I said before, my comment to your blog post says what I want to say about this... and your weird obsession with minutia is pretty clear evidence of either your latent racism or your fascination with irrelevant bullshit.

Which is it?

Yurt
04-04-2008, 10:05 PM
manfrommaine;226719]I am sorry. I just got back from a testimonial dinner for the retiring comptroller of my former employer. I want to assure you that I am not "running from this", but I might be somewhat flattered by your obsequious obsession with me...if it weren't so creepy.

right, that is why you continue to reply to our debates....because it is "creepy" LOOOL.....dude, stay away from the repeated one liners...."creepy"... that you use so often....try something fresh....and be original....ie, don't put jewish or counselor before or after my name or in your posts.

got it rerun....

As I said before, my comment to your blog post says what I want to say about this... and your weird obsession with minutia is pretty clear evidence of either your latent racism or your fascination with irrelevant bullshit.

Which is it?

you can say "it" over and over, but you still have not properly defended your position. as i have shown. that you would try to debase it as "weird obsession with petty stuff" is very clear you can't debate me on the issue.

you wrote two fairly healthy paragraphs, yet nothing addressed the issues I raised. hence, you have given up.

nice try. since i know you are lazy and will not scroll back up to my point, i will re-post for you:

retiredman
04-04-2008, 10:15 PM
jewish and counselor are off limits?

what about sheeny and shyster? ;)

they have that alliteration thing going for them!:laugh2:

diuretic
04-04-2008, 10:16 PM

Padded cells don't echo, trust me, I know :laugh2:

diuretic
04-04-2008, 10:19 PM
I'm dying to jump in to this thread (since I'm no angel, I must be the other type mentioned in the song) but I need a Cliff's Notes version. :coffee:

Yurt
04-04-2008, 11:02 PM
right, that is why you continue to reply to our debates....because it is "creepy" LOOOL.....dude, stay away from the repeated one liners...."creepy"... that you use so often....try something fresh....and be original....ie, don't put jewish or counselor before or after my name or in your posts.

got it rerun....

you can say "it" over and over, but you still have not properly defended your position. as i have shown. that you would try to debase it as "weird obsession with petty stuff" is very clear you can't debate me on the issue.

you wrote two fairly healthy paragraphs, yet nothing addressed the issues I raised. hence, you have given up.

nice try. since i know you are lazy and will not scroll back up to my point, i will re-post for you:

the response from the intellectual himself:

you see, all he sticks to are insults....he even questions which insults are better...... and then laughs at his "wit" over such insults. this is a guy that is trying to defend a racist? MFM, you are showing you have nothing, nada, you are intellectually bankrupt.

Padded cells don't echo, trust me, I know :laugh2:

what.........what...........what

I'm dying to jump in to this thread (since I'm no angel, I must be the other type mentioned in the song) but I need a Cliff's Notes version. :coffee:

then jump in, the thread is not that long, sheesh aussie, read the OP....mate :salute:

retiredman
04-04-2008, 11:07 PM
intellectually empty? Would it be intellectually empty of me to sarcastically criticize your assertions as to how many angels could dance on the head of a pin?

You crack me up. We have HUGE problems about our status in the world, about this war in Iraq, about our economy...but rather than discuss issues ofr substance, your are fixated on this FLUFF.... it really is pathetic, even for a sheeny shyster.:lol:

Pale Rider
04-05-2008, 10:53 AM

Are those names taken out of the text of your sermon last Sunday... preach?

Pale Rider
04-05-2008, 10:56 AM
the response from the intellectual himself:

you see, all he sticks to are insults....he even questions which insults are better...... and then laughs at his "wit" over such insults. this is a guy that is trying to defend a racist? MFM, you are showing you have nothing, nada, you are intellectually bankrupt.

what.........what...........what

then jump in, the thread is not that long, sheesh aussie, read the OP....mate :salute:

You've already won this debate Yurt. pfm had to turn to insults early on, putting on display his lose. Don't worry about him brother, he's low life on display.

Yurt
04-05-2008, 12:41 PM
You've already won this debate Yurt. pfm had to turn to insults early on, putting on display his lose. Don't worry about him brother, he's low life on display.

you're right, post 32 proves this

red states rule
04-05-2008, 02:43 PM

along with tips on how to express get well wishes to people you dispise

retiredman
04-05-2008, 02:52 PM

go check for yourself pole rider.... the text is on the blog.

red states rule
04-05-2008, 02:53 PM
go check for yourself pole rider.... the text is on the blog.

More of the Liberal 2 Step from the dancing king

retiredman
04-05-2008, 03:07 PM
More of the Liberal 2 Step from the dancing king

he asked about the text of my sermon. I directed him to the transcript.

red states rule
04-05-2008, 03:48 PM

Keep dancing, it is all you have left since you have been pawned here (and on other threads)

DragonStryk72
04-05-2008, 04:02 PM

everyone's a culture, White (Though that tends to break down into nationality such as Irish, Italian, German, etc.), Black, Mexican, Chinese, Japanese, they all have inherent norms that they have come to see as a part of their culture.

Now, as for typical white person, yeah, my grandmother is fairly normal as far as I've seen, and I'm willing to bet you'd say the same of yours. Most people would say that their family is normal, because it's what they are used to. Also, for 50-60s timeline, yeah, she was fairly typical in her reactions.

She was not against blacks, but the biases of the time affected her mannerisms toward them, just as any other culture that has been oppressed has a skewed view of the oppressors after the fact. yeah, back in the 50s & early 60s, whites were a bit afraid of blacks in general, just as blacks were a bit afraid of whites (Though I have to say, the blacks did have the better record backing them up on why).

I know this won't reach you, Yurt, it will fall on deaf ears, because you have made your judgement months ago, and smart as you obviously are, you are unable to really look at the whole of his message, instead slapping him because "Democrat" and "Liberal" are stamped on him. It will never matter to you that actual goodness of what is said by any liberal, or any Democrat, because, in the end, you have labelled them enemy, and so you approach every word from that vein.

retiredman
04-05-2008, 04:05 PM
Keep dancing, it is all you have left since you have been pawned here (and on other threads)

how is that a dance? He asked me a question and I pointed him to the place where he could get the answer.

red states rule
04-05-2008, 04:07 PM
how is that a dance? He asked me a question and I pointed him to the place where he could get the answer.

Your blog, like your posts remind me of Grimm MFM Fairy Tales

retiredman
04-05-2008, 04:14 PM
Your blog, like your posts remind me of Grimm MFM Fairy Tales

your opinion of my blog does not change the fact that pole rider asked me a question about words in my text, and I suggested where he needed to go to find out the answer. that is hardly "dancing". :lol:

red states rule
04-05-2008, 04:24 PM
your opinion of my blog does not change the fact that pole rider asked me a question about words in my text, and I suggested where he needed to go to find out the answer. that is hardly "dancing". :lol:

Answer?

More like spin and mindless liberal dribble

retiredman
04-05-2008, 04:26 PM
Answer?

More like spin and mindless liberal dribble

he asked a specific question and I told him where to find out what he was asking about.

red states rule
04-05-2008, 04:27 PM
he asked a specific question and I told him where to find out what he was asking about.

He asked a specific question, and you offered nothing as an answer as usual

retiredman
04-05-2008, 04:32 PM
He asked a specific question, and you offered nothing as an answer as usual

I did. I told him exactly where to go to find out the answer to his question!

I didn't tap dance. I provided a source for him to find what he wanted to know.

Pale Rider
04-05-2008, 05:41 PM

As I've said before maggotfrommaine, I think you're a low life liar. The only sermon you give on Sunday is here, where you're putrid mouth spews piss and shit like a prison inmate. You're no more a man of the cloth than Charles Manson is.

actsnoblemartin
04-05-2008, 05:52 PM
way to :dance: around the issue.

Sorry, you just creeped me out :laugh2:

I am sorry. I just got back from a testimonial dinner for the retiring comptroller of my former employer. I want to assure you that I am not "running from this", but I might be somewhat flattered by your obsequious obsession with me...if it weren't so creepy.

Which is it?

Yurt
04-05-2008, 08:21 PM
everyone's a culture, White (Though that tends to break down into nationality such as Irish, Italian, German, etc.), Black, Mexican, Chinese, Japanese, they all have inherent norms that they have come to see as a part of their culture.

Now, as for typical white person, yeah, my grandmother is fairly normal as far as I've seen, and I'm willing to bet you'd say the same of yours. Most people would say that their family is normal, because it's what they are used to. Also, for 50-60s timeline, yeah, she was fairly typical in her reactions.

She was not against blacks, but the biases of the time affected her mannerisms toward them, just as any other culture that has been oppressed has a skewed view of the oppressors after the fact. yeah, back in the 50s & early 60s, whites were a bit afraid of blacks in general, just as blacks were a bit afraid of whites (Though I have to say, the blacks did have the better record backing them up on why).

I know this won't reach you, Yurt, it will fall on deaf ears, because you have made your judgement months ago, and smart as you obviously are, you are unable to really look at the whole of his message, instead slapping him because "Democrat" and "Liberal" are stamped on him. It will never matter to you that actual goodness of what is said by any liberal, or any Democrat, because, in the end, you have labelled them enemy, and so you approach every word from that vein.

your judgment of me doesn't affect me, nor does affect the debate, it is merely a logical fallacy that offers nothing of value to the thread.

so, for all that you did say, you did not state whether the phrase is stereotyping, whether his context was stereotyping...

retiredman
04-05-2008, 08:28 PM
As I've said before maggotfrommaine, I think you're a low life liar. The only sermon you give on Sunday is here, where you're putrid mouth spews piss and shit like a prison inmate. You're no more a man of the cloth than Charles Manson is.

yeah... I just write a sermon about Thomas and doubt and belief and faith for an internet blog! :laugh2:

Look.... pole rider.... I really don't give a fuck whether you believe me or not. I don't believe much of your story either. I think you like to smoke the poles and ride them, too.... my guess is you are a fat assed fag who takes it up the ass daily!:laugh2:

Yurt
04-05-2008, 08:29 PM
yeah... I just write a sermon about Thomas and doubt and belief and faith for an internet blog! :laugh2:

Look.... pole rider.... I really don't give a fuck whether you believe me or not. I don't believe much of your story either. I think you like to smoke the poles and ride them, too.... my guess is you are a fat assed fag who takes it up the ass daily!:laugh2:

you seem so knowledgeable

retiredman
04-05-2008, 08:37 PM
you seem so knowledgeable

just intuition gained from a lifetime of observing people.

Yurt
04-05-2008, 08:39 PM
just intuition gained from a lifetime of observing people.

you do realize you are talking about "fat ass fag who takes it up the ass"

:laugh2:

retiredman
04-05-2008, 08:41 PM
you do realize you are talking about "fat ass fag who takes it up the ass"

:laugh2:

are you suggesting that I have not lived long enough to have met my share of fat-assed fags before?

Shit...I was stationed in the Bay area for two years.... fat assed fags like pole rider were all over the place!

Yurt
04-05-2008, 08:46 PM
are you suggesting that I have not lived long enough to have met my share of fat-assed fags before?

Shit...I was stationed in the Bay area for two years.... fat assed fags like pole rider were all over the place!

you said ...taking it up the ass ... now how is it you know fat ass fags take it up the ass....from your observations

Pale Rider
04-06-2008, 12:40 AM

Nope... you don't write, give or anything else religious sermon wise other than what you think you're going to try and get us all to believe with your lies here maggotfrommaine. No preacher on this earth has a mouth as vile as yours. You're simple white trash, and I wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire. You're closer to full blown insane than anyone else on this board. You're a pathological liar, and one WIERD mother fucker.

Sitarro
04-06-2008, 01:44 AM

So are you saying that it's true what the Marines say about Navy guys?:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

red states rule
04-06-2008, 06:16 AM
Nope... you don't write, give or anything else religious sermon wise other than what you think you're going to try and get us all to believe with your lies here maggotfrommaine. No preacher on this earth has a mouth as vile as yours. You're simple white trash, and I wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire. You're closer to full blown insane than anyone else on this board. You're a pathological liar, and one WIERD mother fucker.

Thanls again Pale for pointing out the facts about MFM. Everyone here knows the true side of this typical white liberal

retiredman
04-06-2008, 07:19 AM

pole rider.... I really don't care if you "believe" me or not. Oddly enough, I don't see my purpose here on this board as merely trying to gain YOUR approval. Many people here do believe me and have positively commented to me about many of the things I have said both here and on the blog. Some people's opinions I value... yours doesn't happen to be one of them.

red states rule
04-06-2008, 07:31 AM
pole rider.... I really don't care if you "believe" me or not. Oddly enough, I don't see my purpose here on this board as merely trying to gain YOUR approval. Many people here do believe me and have positively commented to me about many of the things I have said both here and on the blog. Some people's opinions I value... yours doesn't happen to be one of them.

If you did not come here for approval or to be liked- you came to the right place

retiredman
04-06-2008, 10:37 AM
If you did not come here for approval or to be liked- you came to the right place

again...of ALL the opinions on this site, I value yours the very least.

red states rule
04-06-2008, 11:07 AM
again...of ALL the opinions on this site, I value yours the very least.

Thank you

Knowing your phobia to facts, logic, reason, and the truth - I understand why you do not value my posts

midcan5
04-06-2008, 11:18 AM
The typical white person phrase was given more emphasis than it required, given the issues this country faces with deficits, jobs, war, etc. examining every word of every speech is a distraction from real issues.

retiredman
04-06-2008, 11:28 AM
Thank you

Knowing your phobia to facts, logic, reason, and the truth - I understand why you do not value my posts

if there is logic and reason and truth in what you cut and paste, it is certainly nothing that you created!

I don't value your posts because you never are willing to carry on any sort of dialog....merely a one sided diatribe. You never answer any questions or address any issues with any level of original thought. ALl you do is keep spewing the same worn out one liners over and over and over again.

If you would engage in an actual conversation or debate, your posts would rise in my estimation.

Yurt
04-06-2008, 12:59 PM
The typical white person phrase was given more emphasis than it required, given the issues this country faces with deficits, jobs, war, etc. examining every word of every speech is a distraction from real issues.

this argument is nonsensical. if you read the OP, i brought this up because obama lied about stereotyping. are you saying that is no big deal for your future commander in chief? as to other issues, those issues are being dealt with. to say that we have to ignore lies simply because the world continues on in its imperfect state defies logic. maybe we should let petty thiefs off the hook and allow them to continue stealing because there are people out there murdering people..........

red states rule
04-07-2008, 05:18 AM
this argument is nonsensical. if you read the OP, i brought this up because obama lied about stereotyping. are you saying that is no big deal for your future commander in chief? as to other issues, those issues are being dealt with. to say that we have to ignore lies simply because the world continues on in its imperfect state defies logic. maybe we should let petty thiefs off the hook and allow them to continue stealing because there are people out there murdering people..........

With MFM, as long as the person in question is a Democrat, he will ignore the lies and stand proudly next to him/her and act as chief defense counsel

As he has done with both Mr and Ms Obama

retiredman
04-07-2008, 05:55 AM
With MFM, as long as the person in question is a Democrat, he will ignore the lies and stand proudly next to him/her and act as chief defense counsel

As he has done with both Mr and Ms Obama

just a point:

yurt was replying to midcan5 not me.

YOu are weirdly obsessed, perhaps?:laugh2:

red states rule
04-07-2008, 05:57 AM
just a point:

yurt was replying to midcan5 not me.

YOu are weirdly obsessed, perhaps?:laugh2:

The description fits you as well

midcan5 is not the only left wing moonbat on the board.

Classact
04-07-2008, 08:24 AM
The typical white person phrase was given more emphasis than it required, given the issues this country faces with deficits, jobs, war, etc. examining every word of every speech is a distraction from real issues.Misconceptions of black people about typical white people... the great race debate... http://www.townhall.com/columnists/BurtPrelutsky/2008/04/07/the_race_debate

westcoast
04-07-2008, 03:39 PM
White people are reaping what they sowed.

midcan5
04-07-2008, 04:00 PM

It isn't an argument but a statement, saying someone is 'typical anything' is not necessarily racist while it is stereotyping people according to certain traits the entire sentence read in context is not at all racist. And again, I look at this sort of emphasis on the remark a distortion from important issues. Sorry, but I don't read my worldview into every word a candidate makes. There are important things that matter this ain't one of them.

red states rule
04-07-2008, 04:01 PM

I see we have another proud member of the blame whitey crowd

red states rule
04-07-2008, 04:03 PM
It isn't an argument but a statement, saying someone is 'typical anything' is not necessarily racist while it is stereotyping people according to certain traits the entire sentence read in context is not at all racist. And again, I look at this sort of emphasis on the remark a distortion from important issues. Sorry, but I don't read my worldview into every word a candidate makes. There are important things that matter this ain't one of them.

It is not racist when a black lib calls a white person a typical white person

But it is racist whem a white person calls a black lib a typical black person

More liberal double standards so they give a pass to the black liberal

Yurt
04-07-2008, 04:03 PM

nice dodge..... what exactly is it about his statement that you find is NOT stereotyping? and explain in terms that i gave in this thread....unless you disagree with said terms. so far, you have answered nothing.

manu1959
04-07-2008, 05:11 PM

hate to tell you ..... but blacks started slavery in africa.....they made the guns .... so to speak .....

midcan5
04-07-2008, 05:58 PM
It is not racist when a black lib calls a white person a typical white person

But it is racist whem a white person calls a black lib a typical black person

More liberal double standards so they give a pass to the black liberal

Only if you see the world through your eyes.

Dilloduck
04-07-2008, 06:00 PM

Whose eyes is he supposed to use ?

midcan5
04-07-2008, 06:08 PM
nice dodge..... what exactly is it about his statement that you find is NOT stereotyping? and explain in terms that i gave in this thread....unless you disagree with said terms. so far, you have answered nothing.

There is a Seinfeld episode in which one can criticize their own so long as they belong to the particular group they are criticizing or stereotyping. Not sure I can make this clear but not all statements about being typical are necessarily bad. I can, for instance, say someone is a typical older brother, a typical German, any number of things and it does not imply there is something wrong with my character as you try to do with Obama. Typical does not equal all - but again my complaint is it is irrelevant in the face of real issues.

manu1959
04-07-2008, 06:12 PM

so using the term "typical black person" is cool with you....

so if i looked at a black person and said "that is so typical of you people" that would be cool.....

you know like when a typical white person crosses the street to avoid a group of typical black kids standing on a street corner in front of a korean liquor store .....

typical like that....

Gaffer
04-07-2008, 06:22 PM
There is a Seinfeld episode in which one can criticize their own so long as they belong to the particular group they are criticizing or stereotyping. Not sure I can make this clear but not all statements about being typical are necessarily bad. I can, for instance, say someone is a typical older brother, a typical German, any number of things and it does not imply there is something wrong with my character as you try to do with Obama. Typical does not equal all - but again my complaint is it is irrelevant in the face of real issues.

Typical implies most of a particular group. hussein said his grandmother was a typical white women when she saw and reacted to a black man on the street. Just how does a "typical white woman" react in that situation?

You could say his was a "typical racist statement".

Yurt
04-07-2008, 08:58 PM

what do you mean....obama said race was one of the most important issues today and we "cannot afford to ignore it."

is obama a liar?

mundame
04-07-2008, 09:38 PM
Typical implies most of a particular group. hussein said his grandmother was a typical white women when she saw and reacted to a black man on the street. Just how does a "typical white woman" react in that situation?

I think he said she wasn't comfortable with....people she didn't know. He didn't say, but implied, these people would be black. Actually, he trailed off at the end and became VERY vague, probably realizing he was getting into bad quote territory.

If I'm a typical white woman, it depends on circumstances. I don't take alarm if there are several black men around wearing suits going to a funeral or church, of course. If there are a number of black men on a street, I use the universal female rule, avoid groups of men. I make sure my car doors are locked. If a group of black men come to the house supposedly proselytyzing for Jehovah's Witnesses or some such, I don't like that, and I don't answer the door if I figure out who it is soon enough.

Obama's grandmother knew there was such a thing as crime, and that black males commit a whole lot of it, proportionately more than white men. So she didn't like that and she watched out for them.

Obviously Obama himself isn't as smart as his grandmother, because he hasn't figured that out yet.

Yurt
04-08-2008, 12:06 AM
I think he said she wasn't comfortable with....people she didn't know. He didn't say, but implied, these people would be black. Actually, he trailed off at the end and became VERY vague, probably realizing he was getting into bad quote territory.

If I'm a typical white woman, it depends on circumstances. I don't take alarm if there are several black men around wearing suits going to a funeral or church, of course. If there are a number of black men on a street, I use the universal female rule, avoid groups of men. I make sure my car doors are locked. If a group of black men come to the house supposedly proselytyzing for Jehovah's Witnesses or some such, I don't like that, and I don't answer the door if I figure out who it is soon enough.

Obama's grandmother knew there was such a thing as crime, and that black males commit a whole lot of it, proportionately more than white men. So she didn't like that and she watched out for them.

Obviously Obama himself isn't as smart as his grandmother, because he hasn't figured that out yet.

the topic was his grandmother's reaction to blacks...so he did say it..

red states rule
04-08-2008, 05:11 AM

Obama wrote in his book, his Grandmother bothered by an aggressive black panhandler

In his speech he called her a racist

Which is it?

retiredman
04-08-2008, 08:52 AM
In his speech he called her a racist

got a quote to back that up?

red states rule
04-08-2008, 09:01 AM
got a quote to back that up?

“The point I was making was not that my grandmother harbors any racial animosity — she doesn’t,” he said. “But she is a typical white person who, you know, if she sees somebody on the street that she doesn’t know, there is a reaction. That has been bred into our experiences that don’t go away and that sometimes come out in the wrong way.”

On Tuesday, Obama described his grandmother as a woman who was at times fearful of black men

Hagbard Celine
04-08-2008, 09:10 AM

I think you're really beginning to split hairs here. Obviously the idea that Obama was trying to convey is that everyone harbors a little distrust of other races, not that it's typical for white women to be racists. I think you're being overly harsh in judging him simply because he's not a member of your political party.
It's this kind of nit-pickery that bogs down the political process. I still don't think his speech adequately distanced him from Pastor Wright, but I don't read racism into his statements. I think what he said was true for the most part.

red states rule
04-08-2008, 09:12 AM
I think you're really beginning to split hairs here. Obviously the idea that Obama was trying to convey is that everyone harbors a little distrust of other races, not that it's typical for white women to be racists. I think you're being overly harsh in judging him simply because he's not a member of your political party.
It's this kind of nit-pickery that bogs down the political process. I still don't think his speech adequately distanced him from Pastor Wright, but I don't read racism into his statements. I think what he said was true for the most part.

But if McCain called someone a typical black person, the left would be busting a blood vessel screaming what a racist pig hs is

More liberal double standards

Gaffer
04-08-2008, 09:29 AM

I too think he meant what he said. And i think it was a racist comment that wasn't meant to come out that way. As for my party, I don't have one. As for nit picking, I will nit pick as much as possible because electing a president in these times is too important. And I don't like any of the choices being forced on me.

retiredman
04-08-2008, 09:46 AM
I too think he meant what he said. And i think it was a racist comment that wasn't meant to come out that way. As for my party, I don't have one. As for nit picking, I will nit pick as much as possible because electing a president in these times is too important. And I don't like any of the choices being forced on me.

given the fact that you don't like any of the choices, please explain how nitpicking - rather than discussing larger ideas and issues - will improve either the quality of your choices or the quality of the overall debate?

red states rule
04-08-2008, 09:48 AM

Not only was Obama's comment racist, but now we know why his wife considered her white college classmates "white oppressors" and why she called America ignorant in a speech in SC

Both were trained by Mr Wright

Abbey Marie
04-08-2008, 11:12 AM
Not only was Obama's comment racist, but now we know why his wife considered her white college classmates "white oppressors" and why she called America ignorant in a speech in SC

Both were trained by Mr Wright

Come on RSR, we must be be fair. She's finally proud of America- now that her husband is running for Prez. :rolleyes:

red states rule
04-08-2008, 11:15 AM
Come on RSR, we must be be fair. She's finally proud of America- now that her husband is running for Prez. :rolleyes:

But should he lose, she will, blame racist whites and go back to NOT being proud of America

She will have to go back to her 6 figure job and $1 million Chicago home

What a hard time she will have. I hope she can handle the stress

Abbey Marie
04-08-2008, 11:18 AM
But should he lose, she will, blame racist whites and go back to NOT being proud of America

She will have to go back to her 6 figure job and $1 million Chicago home

What a hard time she will have. I hope she can handle the stress

She will always have Rev. Wrong's heart-warming sermons to console her. :laugh2:

red states rule
04-08-2008, 11:22 AM
She will always have Rev. Wrong's heart-warming sermons to console her. :laugh2:

and since she works as vice president of community and external affairs at the University of Chicago Hospitals, if she gets a blister from counting all the money she and her hubby makes, she can get prompt treatment

Abbey Marie
04-08-2008, 01:54 PM
I have an idea for the O'man's campaign.
His theme song can be "Play That Funky Music (White Boy)", and he can have it played by the Average White Band. :coffee: