PDA

View Full Version : Remember Zork?

MtnBiker
04-05-2008, 01:53 PM
Does anybody here remember the game Zork? I say Zork because it was one of the more popular titles from a company called Infocom. Infocom had several games they published in the 80's. The games were all texted based, no graphics. The games had several different genres, fantasy (Zork games), science ficiton (Starcross-Planetfall), detective mystery (Deadline) and others. The Hitch Hicker's Guide to the Galaxy came from Infocom's collection of works.

The player set about exploring his environment and solving problems to win the game. With the text based game the player was only limited to the imagination they had while reading through the descriptive prose presented in the game. The problem solving of the games were challenging, the need to draw a map of the several different areas or rooms you encounter is very helpful to remember were you are going and what you have examined in each room. Along the way you usually have to manupilate objects in order to complete tasks, ie putting a flask under a spout and pushing the appropriate button that corresponds to a flashing light in another room.

Expect to die several times before you complete the game, clues are constantly given to the player and in the act of dying a clue may present itself that is necessary to avoid dying in the future.

Anyway, if you like to read, like problem solving you might fing these games enjoyable. I found a website that lets you play them online using JavaScript, if you do not have JavaScript a quick download is available. The one drawback is I was not able to save the game, meaning you could be half way through the game and need to take a break, you will loose all of your progress and have to start over when you play the game again. No worries you can quickly catch up to where you were the next time you play, confer with your map and notes.

Here is the link to the games http://www.xs4all.nl/~pot/infocom/

Also here is a link to the Infocom homepage, it includes hints and walkthrus if you need help or are stuck. http://www.csd.uwo.ca/Infocom/