PDA

View Full Version : Dangerous Old Men

Kathianne
04-06-2008, 09:26 AM
No, it's not about the 80 some Marine that kicked the thug, rather a philosophical piece:

http://grimbeorn.blogspot.com/2004_05_30_grimbeorn_archive.html#1086194075582633 12

...If we would have a stable society, we must have dangerous old men. This means that, if you are yourself on your way to becoming an old man, you have a duty to society to begin your preparations. The martial arts are not the only road--my own grandfather did it through a simple combination of physical strength, personal discipline, and an accustomed habit of going armed about his business. There was never a more impressive figure--or, at least, there was never a boy more impressed than was I.

The martial virtues are exactly the ones needed. By a happy coincidence, having a society whose members adhere to and encourage those virtues makes us freer as well--we need fewer police, fewer courts, fewer prisons, fewer laws, and fewer lawyers. This is what Aristotle meant when he said that the virtues of the man are reflected in the society. Politics and ethics are naturally joined.

04-06-2008, 11:31 AM
i like it.

Kathianne
04-06-2008, 11:33 AM
i like it.

I think its point has a lot of merit. Even back when dads just came home in the evening and relaxed, they seemed to have influenced their sons more than so many today.

Then again, it's a culture breakdown, too many have no men in their lives.

04-06-2008, 11:34 AM
I think its point has a lot of merit. Even back when dads just came home in the evening and relaxed, they seemed to have influenced their sons more than so many today.

Then again, it's a culture breakdown, too many have no men in their lives.

i know.