PDA

View Full Version : Rice: Bush will not abide by legislation to limit Iraq war

mrg666
02-26-2007, 01:07 PM
US secretary of state Condoleezza Rice urged the Democratic-controlled US Congress not to interfere in the conduct of the Iraq war and suggested President George Bush would defy troop withdrawal legislation.

However, Sen. Carl Levin, Democratic chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, said lawmakers would step up efforts to force Bush to change course. “The president needs a check and a balance,” said Levin.

Rice said last night that proposals being drafted by Senate Democrats to limit the war amounted to “the worst of micromanagement of military affairs".

She said military leaders such as Gen. David Petraeus, the new US commander in Iraq, believe Bush’s plan to send more troops is necessary.

“I can’t imagine a circumstance in which it’s a good thing that their flexibility is constrained by people sitting here in Washington, sitting in the Congress,” Rice said.
http://breakingnews.iol.ie/news/story.asp?j=211539486&p=zyy54xy9z

02-26-2007, 01:28 PM
Why the heck should he? The Constitution says he is the commander in chief. Not Congress. They only have power to defund the troops. Nothing else. If President Bush actually abided with any act they are proposing, he would be violating the Constitution.

Bonnie
02-26-2007, 01:39 PM
She said military leaders such as Gen. David Petraeus, the new US commander in Iraq, believe Bush’s plan to send more troops is necessary.

The democrats helped put Gen Petraeus in charge to take control of the situation, now they are telling he and the troops to F-off essentially. I had hoped the Libs learned their lesson well from Vietnam that you can't micromanage a war from Washington, but must listen to those in command on the ground...Especially since they say they care so much about our men and women fighting. :dunno:

Gaffer
02-26-2007, 04:23 PM
The democrats helped put Gen Petraeus in charge to take control of the situation, now they are telling he and the troops to F-off essentially. I had hoped the Libs learned their lesson well from Vietnam that you can't micromanage a war from Washington, but must listen to those in command on the ground...Especially since they say they care so much about our men and women fighting. :dunno:

They care nothin about the troops. They care only about their power. They learned from Vietnam that a war lost means more power for them. They are using the same tactics they did then.

Bonnie
02-26-2007, 04:35 PM
They care nothin about the troops. They care only about their power. They learned from Vietnam that a war lost means more power for them. They are using the same tactics they did then.

I know :poke: :)