PDA

View Full Version : Dems Out To Attack Gen Petraeus

red states rule
04-07-2008, 07:05 AM
Dems are sending signals how they will attack Gen Petraeus, and try to score political points

Seems they are not interested in hearing abut the progress that has been made, only continuing their desire to surrender and appease terrorists

Petraeus, Crocker to face scrutiny on war
By S.A. Miller and Sara A. Carter
April 7, 2008

Capitol Hill Democrats say they will question Army Gen. David H. Petraeus and Ambassador to Iraq Ryan C. Crocker this week about how the 5-year-old Iraq war has sapped U.S. military readiness, imperiled positive results from the Afghanistan conflict and alienated the United States from the rest of the world.

They also will push for a rapid pullout while posing questions about what they see as the ever-present threat of renewed fighting in Iraq, the lack of political reform by the government of Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki and the oil-rich country's failure to pay for the war or reconstruction.

"We are right back to where we started before the surge," said Sen. Joseph R. Biden Jr., Delaware Democrat and chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee, which hears testimony tomorrow from Gen. Petraeus and Mr. Crocker.

They also testify tomorrow before the Senate Armed Services Committee and then Wednesday before House committees, fulfilling a mandate by the Democrat-led Congress for a follow-up to the war report they delivered in September.

Gen. Petraeus is expected to call for halting troop reductions that began in December for about six months to assess the security situation. That would keep about 140,000 troops in Iraq — 10,000 more than before the surge of troops last year that helped stifle insurgent and sectarian attacks.

Both Gen. Petraeus and Mr. Crocker are expected to highlight political and military gains, as well as persistent challenges to the mission, including Iranian influence in the country.

Although Iran helped broker a deal to stem the fighting that has spilled from Basra to other cities in the region, U.S. officials contend that behind the scenes Iran is continuing to supply weapons and training to Shi'ite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr's Mahdi Army militia and other criminal elements connected to his militia.

The political and security instability is posing serious challenges for Gen. Petraeus, who witnessed significant progress in Iraq since the surge.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080407/NATION/63822057/1001

Gaffer
04-07-2008, 10:06 AM
Let's see. An upswing in violence in iraq just as General Patreus is about to testify in congress again. Do I see a pattern here?

red states rule
04-07-2008, 10:09 AM
Let's see. An upswing in violence in iraq just as General Patreus is about to testify in congress again. Do I see a pattern here?

The Dems are breathing a sigh of relief over the violence. They can us it to bash Gen Patreus and push for surrender

I wonder if the Dems will let Gen Patreus answer the questions they ask him. Or will they lecture him from their ivory towers

The Dems were not interested in letting the oil execs talk

mundame
04-07-2008, 10:16 AM

Sure, they're trying for a Tet Offensive. A strategic, not tactical, victory in that our military's narrative that the enemy is contained and vanquished is exposed as lies. It is a lie, but this enemy is very disorganized with apparently several strongmen trying to take power plus Iran, so they don't have quite the "pop" that the highly organized North Vietnam troops managed to shock us with.

red states rule
04-07-2008, 10:19 AM
Sure, they're trying for a Tet Offensive. A strategic, not tactical, victory in that our military's narrative that the enemy is contained and vanquished is exposed as lies. It is a lie, but this enemy is very disorganized with apparently several strongmen trying to take power plus Iran, so they don't have quite the "pop" that the highly organized North Vietnam troops managed to shock us with.

But the Dems will say we are losing anyway, and use it to push for a quick and decisive surrender

mundame
04-07-2008, 10:26 AM
But the Dems will say we are losing anyway, and use it to push for a quick and decisive surrender

I wish. You are more optimistic than I am, RSR.

(Just kidding. http://wade.hu/smiley/kategoriak/%E1llatok/animal-smiley-016.gif)

I have lost faith in the Democrats doing anything they say, actually.

red states rule
04-07-2008, 04:05 PM
I wish. You are more optimistic than I am, RSR.

(Just kidding. http://wade.hu/smiley/kategoriak/%E1llatok/animal-smiley-016.gif)

I have lost faith in the Democrats doing anything they say, actually.

Dems will do all they can to push for surrender. The liberal media will back them up, and paint a pitcture of doom and gloom

The only problem they will have will be the US military kicking ass in Iraq.

Of course, that did not stop Harry "the war is lost" Reid from bellowing how the war was lost

Gaffer
04-07-2008, 04:24 PM
General Petreas is suppose to also report on irans involvement in the most recent attack. There is apparently a lot of evidence to this fact. Should be an interesting report when he makes it.

red states rule
04-07-2008, 04:33 PM
General Petreas is suppose to also report on irans involvement in the most recent attack. There is apparently a lot of evidence to this fact. Should be an interesting report when he makes it.

He will make it

The Dems will ignore it

The liberal media will spin it