PDA

View Full Version : Sex ed programs cut teen pregnancy rates

gabosaurus
04-07-2008, 07:00 PM
Comprehensive sex education programs are much more effective than teaching abstinence.
Basically, knowledge is better than ignorance.

http://www.reuters.com/article/healthNews/idUSTON47250120080324?pageNumber=1&virtualBrandChannel=0

Like someone told me a few years back: Gun safety programs don't encourage murder. So why should sex education programs encourage teen sex?

5stringJeff
04-07-2008, 07:45 PM
Like someone told me a few years back: Gun safety programs don't encourage murder. So why should sex education programs encourage teen sex?

That's a very interesting comparison, Gabs. To expound upon it, we also stress that one should not to point a weapon at someone unless they are ready to injure or kill them and live with the consequences. That's the "abstinence" piece of gun safety that goes along with teaching how a gun works. Likewise, sex ed courses can teach all they want about the mechanics of sex, but it should be stressed that one should not have sex unless one is ready for the consequences of sex - including, but not limited to, emotional tie-ups, STDs, and/or pregnancy.

glockmail
04-07-2008, 09:15 PM
The pregnancy rate among nuns is even lower. They rely on abstienece. As usual your premise is flawed.

Kathianne
04-07-2008, 09:22 PM
Comprehensive sex education programs are much more effective than teaching abstinence.

http://www.reuters.com/article/healthNews/idUSTON47250120080324?pageNumber=1&virtualBrandChannel=0

Comprehensive sex ed may cut teen pregnancies
Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:22pm EDT

By Amy NortonNEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Comprehensive sex education that includes discussion of birth control may help reduce teen pregnancies, while abstinence-only programs seem to fall short, the results of a U.S. survey suggest....

Just dealing with the first paragraph, it was MAY not a sure thing. I'll agree with that. Problem for me with your post, you are implying that teaching abstinence is misguided, at best. In reality from the article they are saying that birth control should also be taught. Tell me, where is 'abstinence only' taught?

DragonStryk72
04-07-2008, 09:24 PM
The pregnancy rate among nuns is even lower. They rely on abstienece. As usual your premise is flawed.

Yes, because every girl wants to swear off sex forever to commune with god.

I'm catholic, I went to a catholic run by nuns. Not everyone can act like one, heck, even nuns don't "act" like nuns. I was fortunate that the nuns in my school had sense enough to both support abstinence, as well as to allow practical sex education.

Now, if you really want to get girls away from having sex, you need only show them a solid 9 hour pregnancy video (almost all pregnancy videos shown are clips, not the full run), complete with epidural. Especially make sure to catch the afterbirth section. It will be years before they ever think of it again.

glockmail
04-07-2008, 09:28 PM

I'm catholic, I went to a catholic run by nuns. Not everyone can act like one, heck, even nuns don't "act" like nuns. I was fortunate that the nuns in my school had sense enough to both support abstinence, as well as to allow practical sex education.

Now, if you really want to get girls away from having sex, you need only show them a solid 9 hour pregnancy video (almost all pregnancy videos shown are clips, not the full run), complete with epidural. Especially make sure to catch the afterbirth section. It will be years before they ever think of it again. You went well beyond my simple point.

And I agree with you. Why don't they do that in sex education classes? Because it would work!

Mr. P
04-07-2008, 09:33 PM

Errrr...Well just maybe, because we don't have an urge to kill people but we do have an urge to screw people? Supporting information on how to do it ain't gonna prevent doing it..bad analogy.

Kathianne
04-07-2008, 09:40 PM
You went well beyond my simple point.

And I agree with you. Why don't they do that in sex education classes? Because it would work!

I know I've posted this before. My children went to public high school, granted in a conservative county, but in a blue state, it wasn't a 'southern' if you get my drift.

I got a call one day, my son had 'passed out' in class, for more than 2 minutes, an ambulance was called. He was varsity cross country in high school. This was his freshman year. He'd run 8 miles, hadn't eaten breakfast, 3rd class: health. STD's., visuals of penis in later stages. He fainted. LOL! Needless to say, video of him on the floor and of the video were saved for posterity. It was played when they won state. His quote on the video of him on the floor, "Don't do anything you'll regret." Seems well said to me.

Mr. P
04-07-2008, 09:43 PM

Now, if you really want to get girls away from having sex, you need only show them a solid 9 hour pregnancy video (almost all pregnancy videos shown are clips, not the full run), complete with epidural. Especially make sure to catch the afterbirth section. It will be years before they ever think of it again.

OH YOU are SO WRONG! Getting girls to NOT have sex is as simple as two words, "I DO". :poke::laugh2:

DragonStryk72
04-07-2008, 09:59 PM
You went well beyond my simple point.

Well some of it is the whole 9 hours part, kind of takes over the school day. they should also show a cesaerian getting down, that one will just plain haunt them, and if it doesn't, they should be enrolled in med school

Noir
04-08-2008, 04:17 AM

Yeah they did that to us, though it was a 30 min video, even now i look back on it in disgust, and it def put me off sex...for a few days, though i assume it would have a much greater effect on women.

04-09-2008, 07:25 AM
Errrr...Well just maybe, because we don't have an urge to kill people but we do have an urge to screw people? Supporting information on how to do it ain't gonna prevent doing it..bad analogy.

You've never had the urge to kill someone?

diuretic
04-09-2008, 08:19 AM
That's a very interesting comparison, Gabs. To expound upon it, we also stress that one should not to point a weapon at someone unless they are ready to injure or kill them and live with the consequences. That's the "abstinence" piece of gun safety that goes along with teaching how a gun works. Likewise, sex ed courses can teach all they want about the mechanics of sex, but it should be stressed that one should not have sex unless one is ready for the consequences of sex - including, but not limited to, emotional tie-ups, STDs, and/or pregnancy.

Safe friendly weapon handling is a must. Contraception is a way of avoiding unintended outcomes of friendly weapon handling. True, it's not infallible but an unloaded weapon never killed anyone either. Taking precautions, both in gun handling and in sex, is smart.

bullypulpit
04-09-2008, 09:39 AM
Just dealing with the first paragraph, it was MAY not a sure thing. I'll agree with that. Problem for me with your post, you are implying that teaching abstinence is misguided, at best. In reality from the article they are saying that birth control should also be taught. Tell me, where is 'abstinence only' taught?

Tch...Tch...Dear lady. You failed to mention the second paragraph which says:

<blockquote>Using data from a 2002 national survey, researchers found that among more than 1,700 unmarried, heterosexual teens between 15 and 19 years old, <b>those who'd received comprehensive sex ed in school were 60 percent less likely to have been pregnant or gotten someone pregnant than teens who'd had no formal sex education</b> (<i>emphasis mine</i>)</blockquote>

The study shows a positive correlation between effective and comprehensive sex education and a substantial decrease in the incidence of teen pregnancy.

bullypulpit
04-09-2008, 09:41 AM

So, you've never been stuck in rush hour traffic and NOT had the urge to kill the ass-wipe who just cut you off? :laugh2:

bullypulpit
04-09-2008, 09:44 AM

Another straw man argument. Do try to present a credible argument instead of your usual BS.

04-09-2008, 11:03 AM
Another straw man argument. Do try to present a credible argument instead of your usual BS.

What exactly about the argument is a straw man argument? Nuns do have a lower pregnancy rate. They do take vows of abstinence. What is phoney about the argument?

Missileman
04-09-2008, 04:15 PM
What exactly about the argument is a straw man argument? Nuns do have a lower pregnancy rate. They do take vows of abstinence. What is phoney about the argument?

It clearly is a bullshit argument. Any form of birth control would be 100% effective for someone who doesn't have sex.

glockmail
04-09-2008, 04:19 PM
It clearly is a bullshit argument. Any form of birth control would be 100% effective for someone who doesn't have sex. It appears that you are confused as well as full of shit. If you don't have sex, then you don't need any other form birth control. In fact, abstinence is 100% effective against STD's as well.

theHawk
04-09-2008, 04:29 PM

Gun safety programs don't teach people to point their piece at another person wearing protection and pull the trigger, like sex education does.

Noir
04-09-2008, 04:38 PM
In fact, abstinence is 100% effective against STD's as well.

Just a minor point, but if you share needles ect. then you can get HIIV, i'd assume this still is called an STD even tho no 'sexual transmission' is involved.

glockmail
04-09-2008, 05:04 PM
Just a minor point, but if you share needles ect. then you can get HIIV, i'd assume this still is called an STD even tho no 'sexual transmission' is involved.
I was assuming that my audience would understand that my use of the term "sexually transmitted disease" with reference to abstinence meant that those who abstain from sex have zero chance of getting a disease through sexual transmission.

Noir
04-09-2008, 06:09 PM
I was assuming that my audience would understand that my use of the term "sexually transmitted disease" with reference to abstinence meant that those who abstain from sex have zero chance of getting a disease through sexual transmission.

Yes i know, and i did understand that, just clarifying that just because you don't have sex doesn't mean you will never get STD's (lawl triple negative) Not that it really matters.

04-09-2008, 07:18 PM
It clearly is a bullshit argument. Any form of birth control would be 100% effective for someone who doesn't have sex.

I think that's the point. Abstinence by definition is 100% effective.

Kathianne
04-09-2008, 07:37 PM

Gabby?

glockmail
04-09-2008, 07:41 PM
Gabby?What in the past has caused you to expect her to defend her positions?

Yurt
04-09-2008, 09:22 PM
stats can get you any results you want, all you have to do is base the study on a flawed group. for instance, i guarantee you that if you polled those in religious schools solely, where abstinence is in fact taught, you would find the percent for pregnancy far lower than this alleged poll.

how anyone can think that comparing nuns (abstinence) to the OP stats is a strawman argument is beyond comprehension. the entire poll disses abstinence, it is therefore appropriate to consider an environment where, not only is abstinence "taught", it is a lifestyle. we have no idea what the questionaire said regarding "taught" abstinence.

DragonStryk72
04-10-2008, 01:08 AM
stats can get you any results you want, all you have to do is base the study on a flawed group. for instance, i guarantee you that if you polled those in religious schools solely, where abstinence is in fact taught, you would find the percent for pregnancy far lower than this alleged poll.

how anyone can think that comparing nuns (abstinence) to the OP stats is a strawman argument is beyond comprehension. the entire poll disses abstinence, it is therefore appropriate to consider an environment where, not only is abstinence "taught", it is a lifestyle. we have no idea what the questionaire said regarding "taught" abstinence.

right, but as the number of students, and thus classroom sizes in private schools is lower, it also allows for greater control of the student body, so it does slightly prove your point.

I do not believe that 'abstinence only' is going to do any better than 'birth control' use is going to do, both should be taught, but the public schools seem to be leery of teaching abstinence alongside the BC program, probably for a couple of reasons:

1. That eyes glazed over look that comes with teaching a subject no one wants to hear

2. Schools take an amazing amount of crap, I mean, seriously, I've heard of a school getting slapped with a suit for simply having a home ec course with mostly girls in the class. They also get hit whenever parents feel that the school is someone trying to "slip in" religion, which, completely against sense, abstinence gets chalked up as.

Missileman
04-10-2008, 06:58 AM
I think that's the point. Abstinence by definition is 100% effective.

Nuns aren't using abstinence as birth control.

diuretic
04-10-2008, 08:16 AM
Nuns aren't using abstinence as birth control.

Brides of Christ.