PDA

View Full Version : Vets for Freedom Hope to Impact Media and Political Class

red states rule
04-08-2008, 07:09 AM
I wonder how the anti war left will view and treat these vets who are out to make sure the good news from Iraq is not ignored

And to make sure the Dems do not surrender in Iraq

Vets for Freedom Hope to Impact Media and Political Class
By Kevin Mooney | April 8, 2008 - 06:51 ET

War veterans who have served in Iraq and Afghanistan have been touring the country over the past few weeks in an effort to focus public attention on recent strategic gains in the war against terrorism. Vets for Freedom(VFF) is a non-partisan organization with 20,000 members and 44 chapters. Captain Pete Hegseth, who served with the 101st Airborne Division in Iraq in 2005 and part of 2006, serves as the executive director.

The VFF's "National Heroes Tour" was launched aboard the U.S.S. Midway in San Diego, California in mid-March and included stops in Los Angles, Phoenix, Ariz., San Antonio, Texas, Des Moines, Iowa, Fort Campbell Ky., Colombia, S.C. and Virginia Beach, Va. Today the Vets are visiting Capitol Hill where they are working to persuade members of Congress to fully support the military mission in both Iraq and Afghanistan. The tour continues up to New York City tomorrow.

In wide ranging interview Hegseth discussed some of the tactical changes that have enabled the U.S. military to forge new alliances and to go on the offensive against Al Qaeda. The U.S. is now better equipped for the purpose of counter-insurgency as a result of some the lessons learned in Iraq Hegseth explains. Moreover, with momentum shifting decisively away from the terrorists over 90,000 "Sons of Iraq" are now standing up in partnership with the U.S. to help secure the country, he points out.

Nevertheless, the strategic gains are fragile and can be reversed if policymakers withdraw U.S. forces before the mission is complete, Hegseth warns.

for the complete article and interview

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/kevin-mooney/2008/04/08/vets-freedom-hope-impact-media-political-class

theHawk
04-08-2008, 08:07 AM
Good news in the war is bad news for the liberals, they won't want to hear this! They'll claim these folks are trying to glorify war.

red states rule
04-08-2008, 08:09 AM
Good news in the war is bad news for the liberals, they won't want to hear this! They'll claim these folks are trying to glorify war.

Will Moveon.org run another "Betray Us" ad smearing these vets as they did Gen Petraeus?

theHawk
04-08-2008, 09:07 AM
Will Moveon.org run another "Betray Us" ad smearing these vets as they did Gen Petraeus?

All liberals give themselves two choices, either smear them or ignore them. But never, ever, praise them.

That, is liberal gospel.

red states rule
04-08-2008, 09:09 AM
All liberals give themselves two choices, either smear them or ignore them. But never, ever, praise them.

That, is liberal gospel.

The liberal hate machine is starting

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/

retiredman
04-08-2008, 09:55 AM
I think that the tactical gains of the US military are laudable.

I have never doubted the abilities or the commitment of our troops to perform their missions. We will always prevail on the battlefields of Iraq because we are and always will be the superior fighting force.

I have always doubted the abilities of the Sunnis, Shiites, and Kurds who live in the artificially created "country" we call Iraq to put aside their millennia old enmity and forge a multicultural Jeffersonian democracy. I would suggest that the sectarian violence that has recently started to percolate again is an indication that my doubts may be justified.

red states rule
04-08-2008, 09:57 AM
Another example of the left's "support" for the troops

http://www.dailykos.com/

red states rule
04-08-2008, 10:01 AM

I have never doubted the abilities or the commitment of our troops to perform their missions. We will always prevail on the battlefields of Iraq because we are and always will be the superior fighting force.

I have always doubted the abilities of the Sunnis, Shiites, and Kurds who live in the artificially created "country" we call Iraq to put aside their millennia old enmity and forge a multicultural Jeffersonian democracy. I would suggest that the sectarian violence that has recently started to percolate again is an indication that my doubts may be justified.

This will be nothing but a political circus. What should be a serious evaluation of the situation in Iraq is likely being viewed by the Dem candidates as a free campaign advertisement.

retiredman
04-08-2008, 10:04 AM
This will be nothing but a political circus. What should be a serious evaluation of the situation in Iraq is likely being viewed by the Dem candidates as a free campaign advertisement.

can you address the issue in my last paragraph?

red states rule
04-08-2008, 10:06 AM
can you address the issue in my last paragraph?

Sure

This is what will happen during the hearings

Between the Dem jackasses and the left-wing media, this Patriot will be fried with a biased political agenda. The left doesn't want a fair discussion on ANYTHING

retiredman
04-08-2008, 10:15 AM
Sure

This is what will happen during the hearings

Between the Dem jackasses and the left-wing media, this Patriot will be fried with a biased political agenda. The left doesn't want a fair discussion on ANYTHING

YOU didn't address my issue regarding the artificial construction of Iraq by post WWI Europeans to begin with and the enmity that has always existed between the groups that were encapsulated by the creation of that artificial nation.

Can you do so?

Monkeybone
04-08-2008, 10:17 AM

i see this too MFM. no matter how much we beat down insurgents and how far we get a gov going, some group is gonna stand up and mess it all up and these wussies that are their "army" over there will crumble. we just need to take the hint that they don't want us there, aprrently they don't want to set up a gov or fight for one, or to live a normal (in our sense of narmal atleast) life. let them just go on killing each other.

it is sad when you really think about it.

on a side note, i do believe that no matter what we do, that will will probably be back majorly in that region again within 10 years.

red states rule
04-08-2008, 10:23 AM
Berlin in 1946 had it's issues with Nazi's and their supporters who would not stop fighting

Monkeybone
04-08-2008, 10:29 AM
yah, but back then we could also totally wipe out and destroy the will to fight. with the binding of out troops hands and making them afraid to do what they are trained to do and just do the job, we have to drag it out and play "nice". so while we totally kick ass when fighting (straight on, which is rare when you fight cowards like them), we havne't been able to tatolly root out and destroy their will to fight.

that is old school fighting (what we like to call the right way) and the new ROE/new school fighting (the liberl media over your shoulder way) dif in my eyes.

red states rule
04-08-2008, 10:32 AM
yah, but back then we could also totally wipe out and destroy the will to fight. with the binding of out troops hands and making them afraid to do what they are trained to do and just do the job, we have to drag it out and play "nice". so while we totally kick ass when fighting (straight on, which is rare when you fight cowards like them), we havne't been able to tatolly root out and destroy their will to fight.

that is old school fighting (what we like to call the right way) and the new ROE/new school fighting (the liberl media over your shoulder way) dif in my eyes.

So far the troops have done an outstandng job killing and capturing the terrorists

Why stop? Why hand the terrorists a victory as the Dems want to do?

Take the handcuffs off and let the troops do what they do best - kill the enemy

Classact
04-08-2008, 10:37 AM

I have always doubted the abilities of the Sunnis, Shiites, and Kurds who live in the artificially created "country" we call Iraq to put aside their millennia old enmity and forge a multicultural Jeffersonian democracy. I would suggest that the sectarian violence that has recently started to percolate again is an indication that my doubts may be justified.I'll address your third paragraph... it makes no sense in the context of the recent violence... the recent violence is associated with Shiite element supported by Iran against other Shiites and not against Sunni's or Kurds. These violent gangs are being dealt with as we would deal with a like sized gang in LA backed by Mexico. The government is dealing with the criminal element and continued interference from Iran will result in war with Iran. The gangs would not exist without Iranian support.

retiredman
04-08-2008, 11:15 AM
I'll address your third paragraph... it makes no sense in the context of the recent violence... the recent violence is associated with Shiite element supported by Iran against other Shiites and not against Sunni's or Kurds. These violent gangs are being dealt with as we would deal with a like sized gang in LA backed by Mexico. The government is dealing with the criminal element and continued interference from Iran will result in war with Iran. The gangs would not exist without Iranian support.

so you think that Muqtada Al Sadr is the leader of a criminal gang? Do you think that is why he is the most influential shiite in Iraq?

red states rule
04-08-2008, 11:34 AM
so you think that Muqtada Al Sadr is the leader of a criminal gang? Do you think that is why he is the most influential shiite in Iraq?

He is one of your heros that is for sure

retiredman
04-08-2008, 12:41 PM
He is one of your heros that is for sure

not at all...

can you answer the question I posed instead of just tossing out insults?

:lol:

red states rule
04-08-2008, 01:22 PM
not at all...

can you answer the question I posed instead of just tossing out insults?

:lol:

You whining about somebody tossing out insults? Now that is funny

theHawk
04-08-2008, 01:49 PM

Thats probably the most sensible thing you've ever said. I agree that these Muslims are probably going to have a hard time accepting our idea of Democracy. I think we've lived up to our stated goal in Operation Iraqi Freedom of giving them a chance at a freely elected government. The only real problem that remains is AQ and like terrorist groups, which is why we're probably going to need a presense in Iraq for a long time. The key thing its to get US troops out of patrolling the streets and more into support role conducting offensive raids into known terrorist cells/camps.

retiredman
04-08-2008, 02:42 PM
Thats probably the most sensible thing you've ever said. I agree that these Muslims are probably going to have a hard time accepting our idea of Democracy. I think we've lived up to our stated goal in Operation Iraqi Freedom of giving them a chance at a freely elected government. The only real problem that remains is AQ and like terrorist groups, which is why we're probably going to need a presense in Iraq for a long time. The key thing its to get US troops out of patrolling the streets and more into support role conducting offensive raids into known terrorist cells/camps.

I think we need to be very clear about the differences between islamic extremism and the state-less terror organization that espouses it - Al Qaeda, and Iraqi nationalist militias who are fighting for dominance in the national structure of Iraq - like Sadr's Mehdi militia. While neither type of group is particularly fond of America, we really only have a beef with the former and should allow the latter to play whatever role it is going to play in the drama that Iraqis must play out themselves to determine what, if anything, a multicultural Iraq might look like. I honestly believe that a three state division of the territory that we call Iraq would be the best solution and one that might actually have a chance of success.

Gaffer
04-08-2008, 03:34 PM
I think we need to be very clear about the differences between islamic extremism and the state-less terror organization that espouses it - Al Qaeda, and Iraqi nationalist militias who are fighting for dominance in the national structure of Iraq - like Sadr's Mehdi militia. While neither type of group is particularly fond of America, we really only have a beef with the former and should allow the latter to play whatever role it is going to play in the drama that Iraqis must play out themselves to determine what, if anything, a multicultural Iraq might look like. I honestly believe that a three state division of the territory that we call Iraq would be the best solution and one that might actually have a chance of success.

You talk like an iranian apologist. The fighting going on there is between shites. The thug sadr is an iranian puppet. He showed that by hiding out in iran while the surge was getting underway. He and his militia need to be taken out in order for the government to move ahead. Stateless AQ wants iraq as their state. They have been effectively crushed and the last will be dealt with soon. Its all going to come down to confronting iran.

red states rule
04-08-2008, 06:56 PM
More liberal media bias on war in Iraq

Media is Absent on Medal of Honor Awardees
Posted By Blackfive
Google News shows that no one, other than local news in San Diego, is covering the awarding of the Medal of Honor to US Navy SEAL Michael Monsoor.

This is quite evident of the MSM's bias. I don't know how you can argue in favor of them today. This story is one that should be told across the nation.

I wasn't going to blog about this today or even post the New York Times and AP's embarrassing report on US Navy SEAL Michael Monsoor. The New York Times printed 78 words about the pending MOH for Mike Monsoor and had to correct the story. Three sentences for a man like Mike...

I checked my frustration because I hoped that they might print something today about the Navy SEAL who sacrificed himself to save his teammates. I thought, maybe, it would make for a nice front page story this morning.

"The Paper of Record" did not print one word.

You can email the Public Editor, Mr. Clark Hoyt, and ask, politely, why the Times chose not to run a story about Michael Monsoor on the day of his award.

[At this point, it is difficult to propose that the American public is at fault in the disconnect between the military and our society when you have such blatant disregard in "the free press" for such uncommon American valor. This is not the first time, or the second, or the third, that the media has ignored or muted the incredible strength, compassion and will of our military men and women. Remember, the Times dedicated about 400 words to SFC Paul Smith (the first MOH awardee for the War on Terror). At the time, they were publishing dozens of Abu Ghraib stories above the fold on the front the page. Abu Ghraib was an important story. Did it warrant as much attention as it got? Did Paul Smith get as much attention as he deserved?]

http://www.blackfive.net/main/2008/04/media-is-absent.html

Kathianne
04-08-2008, 07:06 PM
More liberal media bias on war in Iraq

Media is Absent on Medal of Honor Awardees
Posted By Blackfive
Google News shows that no one, other than local news in San Diego, is covering the awarding of the Medal of Honor to US Navy SEAL Michael Monsoor.

This is quite evident of the MSM's bias. I don't know how you can argue in favor of them today. This story is one that should be told across the nation.

I wasn't going to blog about this today or even post the New York Times and AP's embarrassing report on US Navy SEAL Michael Monsoor. The New York Times printed 78 words about the pending MOH for Mike Monsoor and had to correct the story. Three sentences for a man like Mike...

I checked my frustration because I hoped that they might print something today about the Navy SEAL who sacrificed himself to save his teammates. I thought, maybe, it would make for a nice front page story this morning.

"The Paper of Record" did not print one word.

You can email the Public Editor, Mr. Clark Hoyt, and ask, politely, why the Times chose not to run a story about Michael Monsoor on the day of his award.

[At this point, it is difficult to propose that the American public is at fault in the disconnect between the military and our society when you have such blatant disregard in "the free press" for such uncommon American valor. This is not the first time, or the second, or the third, that the media has ignored or muted the incredible strength, compassion and will of our military men and women. Remember, the Times dedicated about 400 words to SFC Paul Smith (the first MOH awardee for the War on Terror). At the time, they were publishing dozens of Abu Ghraib stories above the fold on the front the page. Abu Ghraib was an important story. Did it warrant as much attention as it got? Did Paul Smith get as much attention as he deserved?]

http://www.blackfive.net/main/2008/04/media-is-absent.html
I think the way the heroes have been portrayed suck, yet if you read the comments RSR, you'll find that Matt made a mistake with this post.

retiredman
04-08-2008, 08:38 PM
You talk like an iranian apologist. The fighting going on there is between shites. The thug sadr is an iranian puppet. He showed that by hiding out in iran while the surge was getting underway. He and his militia need to be taken out in order for the government to move ahead. Stateless AQ wants iraq as their state. They have been effectively crushed and the last will be dealt with soon. Its all going to come down to confronting iran.

I am not apologizing for anyone. I am stating my opinion. Just because I think something will happen does not mean that I want it to.

Sadr is the most popular shiite cleric in Iraq. He IS in bed with Iran.... Maliki does not have the clout to take out Sadr and if he pushes TOO hard it will backfire.

Iraq will be an Iranian client state. Not a matter of if....only a matter of when.

Kathianne
04-08-2008, 10:53 PM
I am not apologizing for anyone. I am stating my opinion. Just because I think something will happen does not mean that I want it to.

Sadr is the most popular shiite cleric in Iraq. He IS in bed with Iran.... Maliki does not have the clout to take out Sadr and if he pushes TOO hard it will backfire.

Iraq will be an Iranian client state. Not a matter of if....only a matter of when.

But Malaki is not doing what you hoped. In fact, he's meeting Sadr's 'demand' for agreement with Sistani with a plea to order a disbandment of the militia, certainly the move of the 'winner', :rolleyes: Another political point gained. Never mind, Hillary said X.

retiredman
04-09-2008, 05:47 AM
But Malaki is not doing what you hoped. In fact, he's meeting Sadr's 'demand' for agreement with Sistani with a plea to order a disbandment of the militia, certainly the move of the 'winner', :rolleyes: Another political point gained. Never mind, Hillary said X.

did I MISS the disbanding of Sadr's militia?

red states rule
04-09-2008, 06:12 AM
How did the liberal media "report" on Gen Petraeus's appearance before Congress?

NBC Stacks Deck Against Petraeus -- and Takes a Shot at McCain Too
By Brent Baker | April 8, 2008 - 23:14 ET

NBC Nightly News anchor Brian Williams led Tuesday's newscast by listing the burden of the Iraq war in years, troops, deaths and cost before Jim Miklaszewski, unlike reporters on ABC and CBS, found it newsworthy to show a man, in the Senate hearing for General David Petraeus, shouting “bring them home!” In the next story, Andrea Mitchell decided to highlight, again unlike ABC or CBS, how John McCain “stumbled...by again describing al Qaeda as Shiite” and Williams turned to Richard Engel, NBC's Iraq reporter, who described Petraeus' decision to end troop withdrawals in July as “frustrating and disheartening in that the rules of the game have changed.” Williams opened:

The war's now five years old. That's longer than U.S. involvement in World War II. There are currently 162,000 U.S. troops serving in Iraq. Death toll is now over 4,000. And the price tag of this war for military operations alone: nearly half a trillion dollars so far.

Before and after audio of a man yelling “bring them home!”, Miklaszewski helpfully suggested: “A protestor voiced what some Americans are demanding for U.S. troops.” In a piece by Mitchell on how the three presidential candidates approached Petraeus, she pointed how that “the Republican Senator also stumbled, briefly, by again describing al Qaeda as Shiite.” She countered: “Al Qaeda is Sunni, not Shiite. McCain immediately corrected himself.” So, if he immediately corrected himself, why highlight it?

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/brent-baker/2008/04/08/nbc-stacks-deck-against-petraeus-takes-shot-mccain-too

retiredman
04-09-2008, 06:21 AM
I don't know why the media continues to cover for McCain. Referring to his complete ignorance about sunnis and shiites as "stumbling"... the man knows about as much about Islam as RSR does - next to nothing!

red states rule
04-09-2008, 06:23 AM
I don't know why the media continues to cover for McCain. Referring to his complete ignorance about sunnis and shiites as "stumbling"... the man knows about as much about Islam as RSR does - next to nothing!

Because like you they are in the tank for Obama, and want to surrender in Iraq

retiredman
04-09-2008, 06:26 AM
Because like you they are in the tank for Obama, and want to surrender in Iraq

no. they cover his ignorance by referring to it as "stumbling". It isn't stumbling...it isn't some "slip of the tongue"....he is genuinely as clueless as you are and the press is giving him a free pass.

red states rule
04-09-2008, 06:29 AM
no. they cover his ignorance by referring to it as "stumbling". It isn't stumbling...it isn't some "slip of the tongue"....he is genuinely as clueless as you are and the press is giving him a free pass.

Yea, it took all of 2 seconds to correct his comment, and you attack

Your boy Obama has been caught in multiple lies, and you still blindly support him

retiredman
04-09-2008, 06:35 AM
Yea, it took all of 2 seconds to correct his comment, and you attack

Your boy Obama has been caught in multiple lies, and you still blindly support him

I don't blindly support anyone. The fact is: McCain - like you - really does not understand the difference between sunni and shiite or between arab and persian. Lacking such basic understanding really limits your ability to contribute to discussions and will really limit McCain's ability to be a wise leader.

red states rule
04-09-2008, 06:40 AM
I don't blindly support anyone. The fact is: McCain - like you - really does not understand the difference between sunni and shiite or between arab and persian. Lacking such basic understanding really limits your ability to contribute to discussions and will really limit McCain's ability to be a wise leader.

Oh please MFM, You lips are pressed right on the hindquarters of Obama.

You will support any lib who wants to surrender in Iraq, To bad Obama, at least for now, has a "strike force" plan for Iraq, if the surrender makes things worse

"My plan allows for a limited number of U.S. troops to remain as basic force protection, to engage in counterterrorism, and to continue the training of Iraqi security forces." - Obama

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/opinion/views/orl-newvoices05a08apr05,0,1197252.story

actsnoblemartin
04-10-2008, 11:26 PM
the left doesnt shock me anymore :laugh2:

I wonder how the anti war left will view and treat these vets who are out to make sure the good news from Iraq is not ignored

And to make sure the Dems do not surrender in Iraq

Vets for Freedom Hope to Impact Media and Political Class
By Kevin Mooney | April 8, 2008 - 06:51 ET

War veterans who have served in Iraq and Afghanistan have been touring the country over the past few weeks in an effort to focus public attention on recent strategic gains in the war against terrorism. Vets for Freedom(VFF) is a non-partisan organization with 20,000 members and 44 chapters. Captain Pete Hegseth, who served with the 101st Airborne Division in Iraq in 2005 and part of 2006, serves as the executive director.

The VFF's "National Heroes Tour" was launched aboard the U.S.S. Midway in San Diego, California in mid-March and included stops in Los Angles, Phoenix, Ariz., San Antonio, Texas, Des Moines, Iowa, Fort Campbell Ky., Colombia, S.C. and Virginia Beach, Va. Today the Vets are visiting Capitol Hill where they are working to persuade members of Congress to fully support the military mission in both Iraq and Afghanistan. The tour continues up to New York City tomorrow.

In wide ranging interview Hegseth discussed some of the tactical changes that have enabled the U.S. military to forge new alliances and to go on the offensive against Al Qaeda. The U.S. is now better equipped for the purpose of counter-insurgency as a result of some the lessons learned in Iraq Hegseth explains. Moreover, with momentum shifting decisively away from the terrorists over 90,000 "Sons of Iraq" are now standing up in partnership with the U.S. to help secure the country, he points out.

Nevertheless, the strategic gains are fragile and can be reversed if policymakers withdraw U.S. forces before the mission is complete, Hegseth warns.

for the complete article and interview

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/kevin-mooney/2008/04/08/vets-freedom-hope-impact-media-political-class

red states rule
04-11-2008, 05:56 AM

You blindly support anyone with a (D) at the end of their name. You spit on your country, and give a one fingure salute to members of the US military

All for political reasons, and power

red states rule
04-11-2008, 05:57 AM
the left doesnt shock me anymore :laugh2:

I have never seen a political party do so much to harm their own country all in a quest for more political power

Roadrunner
04-11-2008, 08:54 AM
The gangs would not exist without Iranian support.

Absolutely. The war would have been over a long time ago if Iran and Syria were not supplying men and arms to keep things riled up. We are not battling AQ in Iraq right now but jihadists trained and supplied by Iran and Syria. AQ lost its forcefulness in Iraq some time ago.