PDA

View Full Version : Don't call tree climbing boys "monkeys"

hjmick
04-08-2008, 03:31 PM
I have to say, something about this ordinance smacks of being unconstitutional, certainly the way it has been applied in this case. Should there be a measure of common sense involved in cases such as this? The kids were climbing a tree, she likened them to monkeys, the comparison was accurate. But because the kids happened to be black the woman gets a $75.00 ticket? What the hell is going on in this country?

Carpentersville Trustee Linda Ramirez Sliwinski ticketed for calling boys in tree 'monkeys'
She vows to fight disorderly conduct charge for comments made to 2 boys in neighbor's tree
By Carolyn Starks | Tribune reporter
10:48 PM CDT, April 7, 2008

Carpentersville Trustee Linda Ramirez Sliwinski vowed Monday to fight a citation she received over the weekend for a comment that apparently offended her African-American neighbors.

Ramirez Sliwinski said she saw two boys climbing a tree next door to her home about 1 p.m. Saturday and asked them to stop. The mother of one of the boys called police after Ramirez Sliwinski referred to the children, ages 8 and 9, as monkeys.

Ramirez Sliwinski, who is Hispanic, was issued a citation alleging that she violated a village ordinance prohibiting disorderly conduct. The ordinance bans conduct that disturbs or alarms people, and one of the boys told police he was scared by Ramirez Sliwinski's comment, Police Cmdr. Michael Kilbourne said.

"She was not arrested. She was not fingerprinted. It is a local ordinance violation," Kilbourne said.

The mother told police her son and a friend were playing in a tree in front of their house in the 0-99 block of Sparrow Road when Ramirez Sliwinski came outside and told them to quit playing in the tree like monkeys, Kilbourne said.

She said the parents were outside, but she intervened because she was concerned about the boys' safety and because the small magnolia tree was being damaged.

"I went over to the kids and told them to get out of the tree," Ramirez Sliwinski said.

The father of one of the boys told her it was none of her business, she said, and "I calmly said the tree is not there for them to be climbing in there like monkeys."

Ramirez Sliwinski said she intends to contest the citation in an effort to force the neighbors to talk to her.

"I have to do what I have to do to protect myself," she said. "I have to fight this ticket."

"My take on this is that it is really being blown out of proportion," Village President Bill Sarto said. "To a great extent, you have to take the remarks and put them in proper context. The trustee saw children playing in a tree, and she made an observation that they should be careful because they are acting like monkeys. Had they not been in a tree, it could be inappropriate."

Complete story... (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-carpenter-trustee-both-08apr08,0,568283.story)

Further more, who is the arbitrator who determines when a residents words or actions constitute "disorderly conduct?" Is it the "victim" based on how much he or she complains? The police who weren't on scene when the alleged offense occurred?

I realize that there are probably ordinances similar to this one in every town across the Nation, but this is the first time I have ever heard of one applied in this fashion. It seems as though it could be a slippery slope indeed.

BTW...

I have to tell you, I have, and probably will again, referred to youths as monkeys. White kids, brown kids, black kids, Asian kids. When they're all running around and climbing trees, they remind me of monkeys.

glockmail
04-08-2008, 03:36 PM
Howard Cosell lost his job because he called Alvin Garrett a monkey. This is nothing new, and was predicted by George Orwell. Freedom of Speech be damned.

MtnBiker
04-08-2008, 03:36 PM
Absurd!

She should have the ACLU represent her. :D

theHawk
04-08-2008, 03:37 PM
Hmm, where's the ACLU to defend the 1st Amendment now?

MtnBiker
04-08-2008, 03:42 PM
Howard Cosell lost his job because he called Alvin Garrett a monkey. This is nothing new, and was predicted by George Orwell. Freedom of Speech be damned.

Well employment protection is not part of the constitution.

Hagbard Celine
04-08-2008, 03:43 PM
Hmm, where's the ACLU to defend the 1st Amendment now?

The helicopter was in the shop so their agents weren't able to rappel down right after the pre-cogs forsaw this Constitutional infringement take place. :finger3:
For goodness' sake, give them a moment to find out about the case before you ask "where they are" to defend this woman. She may not even want defending.

04-08-2008, 05:06 PM
it's a summary offense of Disorderly conduct. It might be easier just to pay the fight and avoid fighting it. but it's incredible stupid. I would just ask the judge to throw it out because telling someone to get out of a tree isnt a crime.

Sitarro
04-08-2008, 05:21 PM
What if she would have called them squirrels, sloths, possums or racoons........ wait, calling them coons would have surely gotten her into trouble.:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Nukeman
04-08-2008, 06:25 PM
The citation is soley based on the fact that she called blacks "monkeys", if they'd been white kids nothing would have been said even if the parents called the cops.

I can't count the number of times I've called my kids monkeys. I've also told them not to run down the stairs like a herd of elephants.

actsnoblemartin
04-10-2008, 11:28 PM
whomever wrote this law, needs to be beaten till they get some sense.

I have to say, something about this ordinance smacks of being unconstitutional, certainly the way it has been applied in this case. Should there be a measure of common sense involved in cases such as this? The kids were climbing a tree, she likened them to monkeys, the comparison was accurate. But because the kids happened to be black the woman gets a $75.00 ticket? What the hell is going on in this country?

Further more, who is the arbitrator who determines when a residents words or actions constitute "disorderly conduct?" Is it the "victim" based on how much he or she complains? The police who weren't on scene when the alleged offense occurred?

I realize that there are probably ordinances similar to this one in every town across the Nation, but this is the first time I have ever heard of one applied in this fashion. It seems as though it could be a slippery slope indeed.

BTW...

I have to tell you, I have, and probably will again, referred to youths as monkeys. White kids, brown kids, black kids, Asian kids. When they're all running around and climbing trees, they remind me of monkeys.

DragonStryk72
04-11-2008, 11:51 AM

BTW...

But.... but I liked being a monkey :sniff: