PDA

View Full Version : USAirways Dividend Preferred Miles

Abbey Marie
04-08-2008, 03:44 PM
Anyone here familiar with the program? I have a question about how it works, and thought I'd start here.

Though we have over 50,000 flyer miles with USAir, we were told when we booked our recent Fla. trip that we could not be extended preferred status (free upgrade, early-boarding), because we had not flown with them in over a year. It was as though the miles no longer existed, though they still show up in our mileage balance.

Ok, so now that we flew again without using up any flyer miles, will we once again be given credit for the 50,000 + miles, plus the miles we just earned, or are the 50,000+ miles just useless now?

MtnBiker
04-08-2008, 03:53 PM
Sorry, can't help you Abbey. I'm more familiar with Delta SkyMiles.

Abbey Marie
04-08-2008, 03:57 PM
Sorry, can't help you Abbey. I'm more familiar with Delta SkyMiles.

Do you have to fly every calendar year to save your SkyMiles?

MtnBiker
04-08-2008, 04:02 PM
I'm not sure we have flown every calander year since we have been in the program, but I don't believe we have to. Also we can transfer miles to other family member( a small fee is included).

Abbey Marie
04-08-2008, 04:04 PM
Thanks, MB. :)

Gadget (fmr Marine)
04-09-2008, 08:45 PM
I found this....

Reactivation policy
Active membership status is based on having earned or redeemed miles within a defined period as stated below. To keep your account active, be sure to fly US Airways, apply for a US Airways MasterCard or Visa credit card, or earn miles with one of our over 50 other partners.

Effective January 31, 2007, active membership status is based on having earned or redeemed miles within a consecutive 18-month period. Miles are subject to forfeiture if no miles have been earned or redeemed within a consecutive 18-month period. Flight mileage credits are earned when an itinerary is flown; miles are considered redeemed at the time an award is ticketed. With our new Mileage Reactivation Policy, Dividend Miles members have an opportunity to reinstate forfeited miles for an additional 18 months for a fee:

* $50 1 – 4,999 miles
* $100 5,000 – 19,999 miles
* $200 20,000 – 49,999 miles
* $300 50,000 – 99,999 miles
* $400 100,000 or more miles

When you pay to reinstate forfeited miles, you must reinstate the entire balance of forfeited miles. If you do not reinstate forfeited miles within 36 months of the last activity date at the time of forfeiture, forfeited miles will be permanently deleted from your account and may not be reinstated. For purposes of this policy 'Last activity date at time of forfeiture' means the last date that the members earned or redeemed miles at the time miles were forfeited.

At 15-17 months of inactivity, customers can pay a $25 preservation fee to remain active for another 18 months.

I know that miles do expire...for all the programs that I am aware of....you just have to remain actve.

Mr. P
04-09-2008, 08:59 PM
Just a bit from my favorite consumer guys..Dated 2/20/08

U.S. Airways devalues frequent flyer miles
Clark has a longstanding beef with his nephew David, who is addicted to frequent flyer mileage programs and jumps through all kinds of hoops to accumulate miles. Here's what David doesn't understand: There's an industry-wide trend of airlines devaluing frequent flyer miles. U.S. Airways is just the latest example; they're making the miles tougher to redeem and earn. Having a stockpile of miles is like having a reverse savings account -- the value leeches out of them everyday. What if you use a credit card that earns frequent flyer miles? Clark would prefer that you ditch it and get a card that pays you cash instead. With cash, there are no restrictions on when you can use it. Clark's producer Kim is one of those people conned by the mileage programs. She once redeemed miles and had to fly to the wrong city, while changing planes 2 times to get there and 2 more times to go home. That's a lot of work to take a "free" trip. So what should you do with your mileage balances? The full-fare airlines are adding international routes all the time, so look for new service announcements on their websites and jump when you get the opportunity.