PDA

View Full Version : bug problem

dan
04-09-2008, 01:54 PM
So, I like my apartment complex a lot, they're very laid-back and it's quiet, but last summer I had a major roach problem. And, the exterminators here are really slackers. I complained once and they never showed up, complained again and they showed up and sprayed and it did absolutely nothing.It got to the point where I woke up in the morning went into the bathroom and had to kill at least one roach every day. Not a great way to wake up.

So, my question is, are there any safe, cheap prevention methods for this sort of thing? Because, it's pretty embarassing when you've got company over and a two-inch roach crawls onto their shoulder.

jackass
04-09-2008, 02:56 PM
http://www.homedefensemax.com/scotts-sites/ortho-hdm/index.cfm?event=product

Heres what we use to keep out the "Plametto Bugs"

dan
04-09-2008, 03:03 PM
Thanks, I'll give it a try!

Mr. P
04-09-2008, 05:55 PM
So, I like my apartment complex a lot, they're very laid-back and it's quiet, but last summer I had a major roach problem. And, the exterminators here are really slackers. I complained once and they never showed up, complained again and they showed up and sprayed and it did absolutely nothing.It got to the point where I woke up in the morning went into the bathroom and had to kill at least one roach every day. Not a great way to wake up.

So, my question is, are there any safe, cheap prevention methods for this sort of thing? Because, it's pretty embarassing when you've got company over and a two-inch roach crawls onto their shoulder.

I had a similar problem many years ago..the complex wouldn't address it so I called the health department. That really pissed em off. The guy that came out told me that it really didn't matter what I did in my apartment because they would be back unless there was a major building extermination. The management never did anything, I moved.

Mr. P
04-09-2008, 05:59 PM
http://www.homedefensemax.com/scotts-sites/ortho-hdm/index.cfm?event=product

Heres what we use to keep out the "Plametto Bugs"

That's pretty good stuff. They say it lasts a yr..It doesn't. I have to use it every two weeks in the rental house I'm in now.

glockmail
04-09-2008, 06:55 PM
I had a similar problem many years ago..the complex wouldn't address it so I called the health department. That really pissed em off. The guy that came out told me that it really didn't matter what I did in my apartment because they would be back unless there was a major building extermination. The management never did anything, I moved. I remember a friend of mine had a basement apartment in the Boylston area of Boston. No matter what she did, they were all over everything. All those building were teeming with roaches. The same thing with my brother's apartment in Manhattan.

The only ones I see here are "German" cockroaches, which prefer the outside, usually around stacked wood and such.

jackass
04-09-2008, 07:18 PM
That's pretty good stuff. They say it lasts a yr..It doesn't. I have to use it every two weeks in the rental house I'm in now.

No it doesnt last the year...but it usually lasts until it rains. Then I have to do it over again.

Abbey Marie
04-09-2008, 08:19 PM
Dan,
A friend of mine who lived in roach-infested Washington Heights for a while swore by baking powder (or was it baking soda?).

She sprinkled it on the edges of the floor for the entire perimeter of her kitchen and bathroom. She said they were terrible, then they were gone. You can't get cheaper than that.

FWIW, when I visited her, I saw not a single roach.

Edited to add: It's baking soda

Set Out a Mixture of Baking Soda and Sugar. Cockroaches have a very high acid content in their stomachs. When they ingest the sugar, and the baking soda along with it, the subsequent reaction between the soda and their natural make-up results in death. http://www.servicemagic.com/article.show.Roach-Control-the-Natural-Way.14159.html

Site contains other organic ways to kill them. Safe for your pets.

dan
04-09-2008, 11:21 PM
Awesome, Abbey, I'll give that a shot. Thanks!

Mr. P
04-09-2008, 11:32 PM
Awesome, Abbey, I'll give that a shot. Thanks!

Or just stomp em!

dan
04-10-2008, 08:05 AM
Or just stomp em!

Bug guts didn't quite accessorize my walls and countertops and carpet the way I'd hoped.:puke3:

Classact
04-10-2008, 08:18 AM
I lived in a mobile home when I was in the army in NC and roaches took over the place, I called Orchid and they sprayed and nothing they came back... called them back and they sprayed some stronger stuff and I had to rush the wife and kid to the hospital later that day and then leave the doors and windows open for days to clear out the mess.

Roaches lay eggs on cardboard and brown paper bags so get rid of all that stuff you can or put them in tied plastic bags or containers. I live in the tropics and wild roaches enter the house every once and a while but don't sit up housekeeping because I have everything in plastic containers or in the refrigerator. Roaches love to go strait for the tooth brushes to suck out the water left in the bristles so put them in containers. Good luck!

Mr. P
04-10-2008, 11:29 AM
Bug guts didn't quite accessorize my walls and countertops and carpet the way I'd hoped.:puke3:

Picky, picky...bitch! :poke: :laugh2:

jackass
04-10-2008, 01:10 PM
Roaches love to go strait for the tooth brushes to suck out the water left in the bristles so put them in containers. Good luck!

UUhhhgggg!!!! Is that true?!?!?!?

Mr. P
04-10-2008, 07:08 PM
UUhhhgggg!!!! Is that true?!?!?!?

Yup

Love Monkey
11-04-2011, 04:37 PM
Roaches are easy kill. If you follow my lead, you can rid your apartment of all roaches within an hour. First, drink a cold beer. Next, pour at least 5 gallons of gasoline all over your apartment. Stand by the door. Light a match and toss it in. Run. No more roaches.

KarlMarx
11-05-2011, 07:57 AM
I lived in an apartment during my junior year in college that had a major roach problem. We had the exterminators over and it helped temporarily. The problem was that our neighbors were pigs and the roaches would just go there and hang out until the poison in our apartment wore off, then they were back.

The next year, I moved to another apartment in another building, no roaches.

I think if you have roaches and you live in an apartment building, you might be fighting a losing battle if your neighbors are dirty. If all the solutions that the other posters suggested don't work, you might consider moving...

Jess
11-05-2011, 08:34 AM
Last year, the people living above me brought roaches in, fed them and then moved out, leaving all their sh... stuff behind. Guess where the roaches went?

Yup. I had lots of new, crunchy little friends. Ugh.

My landlord had to bomb the upstairs 3 or 4 times, my apartment at least twice, plus spray both apartments more than once. But I haven't seen any critters since.

LuvRPgrl
12-28-2011, 01:15 PM
I lived in an apartment during my junior year in college that had a major roach problem. We had the exterminators over and it helped temporarily. The problem was that our neighbors were pigs and the roaches would just go there and hang out until the poison in our apartment wore off, then they were back.

The next year, I moved to another apartment in another building, no roaches.

I think if you have roaches and you live in an apartment building, you might be fighting a losing battle if your neighbors are dirty. If all the solutions that the other posters suggested don't work, you might consider moving...

problem with moving is, if you dont do it right, you will take them with you

Mr. P
12-28-2011, 03:43 PM
Advance Cockroach Gel Bait.
TOTALLY wiped em out in a house. I donno how it would work for an apartment with other folks feeding em.. A bit pricey at $35 but will worth it. :2up: