PDA

View Full Version : I hate employers

jimnyc
04-09-2008, 05:03 PM
This is one of the main reasons I wanted out of the corporate environment...

I applied for a local position as a field service tech support rep. The position requires going to various customers in the tri-state area and working on their computers, which are mainly POS systems installed by this company. The salary is decent, but not what I'm accustomed to, but I need to get my feet wet again and re-establish myself in the industry.

The guy calls me today and tells me he absolutely loves my resume and thinks I would be a great fit. We discuss the position and what it entails. He drills me for like 20 minutes about my experience, the corporate world, willingness to work OT, references, blah, blah blah...

All went outstanding, and then he states he needs to call many other people as he received over 200 resumes thus far, and that he feels I am "overqualified" for the position. He ends the call by stating "I might call you back for a face to face interview, but I'm not sure you want this job".

WTF??? Why did I apply if I didn't want the job, ASSWIPE!!!

Said1
04-09-2008, 05:08 PM
What did you say after the 'over qualified' remark?

You can have my job after I climb a tower and start pegging them off one by one!

jimnyc
04-09-2008, 05:27 PM
What did you say after the 'over qualified' remark?

I explained to him that although my resume gives the impression of a long career in the corporate environment, it was through varying stages of support and that I had an opportunity to strengthen my skills within each arena. I further explained that no job is beneath me, that they all offer varying degrees of challenges, and that so long as there is room for moving upward in the future, I am quite happy to earn my way there.

Basically, I bullshitted him. Maybe he saw through that?

The problem is that the gap in my resume now causes an issue with going to where I left off, and lower positions might appear too beneath my skill level,

Said1
04-09-2008, 05:37 PM
I explained to him that although my resume gives the impression of a long career in the corporate environment, it was through varying stages of support and that I had an opportunity to strengthen my skills within each arena. I further explained that no job is beneath me, that they all offer varying degrees of challenges, and that so long as there is room for moving upward in the future, I am quite happy to earn my way there.

The problem is that the gap in my resume now causes an issue with going to where I left off, and lower positions might appear too beneath my skill level,

I think your answer was actually pretty good. I ran into similar problems doing temp work after college. I was questioned a lot about short term jobs. Many gave me the impression of not trusting me to stay very long, when in fact, that was all I was really looking for in the end - a chance to move up where I could and learn new things.

I'm dead serious though, if you want my job, just say the word! I'd rather dig ditches than work with corporate bastards and not very nice ladies. :laugh2:

Yurt
04-09-2008, 09:24 PM
you should have told him you read my book:

"The Art of Brown Nosing"

:laugh2:

Kathianne
04-09-2008, 09:34 PM

Here's my take on what you posted; 'no job is beneath me,' "well all but this one should be, as I'm really overqualified, though concerning the gaps, not really. If you give me a chance, I'll blow your socks off." Jim, sell yourself, you are not overextending, but trying to get back in the game.

manu1959
04-09-2008, 10:46 PM
when someone tells you are over qualified for the posistion tell them that.....

they will be getting really good value for their money ..... that your experience will bring speed, accuracy and maturity to the posistion that others that are only qualified can not bring .... further your experience would potentially allow your supervisor to expand your duties into other areas thus saving the company money but not having to hire 1 1/2 or two people ......

if someone asks about your gap tell them you took some time off to spend with your son and do not elaborate.....

retiredman
04-09-2008, 11:06 PM

they will be getting really good value for their money ..... that your experience will bring speed, accuracy and maturity to the posistion that others that are only qualified can not bring .... further your experience would potentially allow your supervisor to expand your duties into other areas thus saving the company money but not having to hire 1 1/2 or two people ......

if someone asks about your gap tell them you took some time off to spend with your son and do not elaborate.....

GREAT advice!

Mr. P
04-09-2008, 11:30 PM

This is why yer a good guy to work for and successful, Manu. I've faced the same problem Jim is facing. Two problems really. One is the employer thinks this guy will not stay. Two, he's more qualified that I am. I've yet to find a way around either.

MtnBiker
04-10-2008, 10:35 AM
Two problems really. One is the employer thinks this guy will not stay. Two, he's more qualified that I am. I've yet to find a way around either.

I believe you nailed it MrP. There are costs invovled in hiring and training new employees. If a potential employer suspects a person may not be happy with a job and move on then the employer may be less likely to hire.

Pale Rider
04-10-2008, 01:32 PM

So... being 'overqualified' is a bad thing, as opposed to what... being 'UNDERQUALIFED?' What the fuck do these morons want? I swear they tell you that as a bargaining chip... posturing... or just to keep you in flux as to whether or not you'll get the job. I think it's a crock of shit. If I was hiring people to work for me, I'd hire 'the most qualified person out of all the applicants,' and can assure you, none of them would be 'overqualified.'

emmett
04-10-2008, 10:03 PM

I applied for a local position as a field service tech support rep. The position requires going to various customers in the tri-state area and working on their computers, which are mainly POS systems installed by this company. The salary is decent, but not what I'm accustomed to, but I need to get my feet wet again and re-establish myself in the industry.

The guy calls me today and tells me he absolutely loves my resume and thinks I would be a great fit. We discuss the position and what it entails. He drills me for like 20 minutes about my experience, the corporate world, willingness to work OT, references, blah, blah blah...

All went outstanding, and then he states he needs to call many other people as he received over 200 resumes thus far, and that he feels I am "overqualified" for the position. He ends the call by stating "I might call you back for a face to face interview, but I'm not sure you want this job".

Hey Jim,

Emmett here. Look man, I'm not usually one for passing out advice about personal issues such as your personal employment but I can relate to your situation.

In your next interview tell the interviewer that you are a hard core liberal. Explain that you will do your opart to tap out the company's resources with lost time, that you have sickly children that will use the company insurance plan quite frequently and that you have had a tendency in the past to drink too much and take drugs due to your infatic fear of the earth melting due to global warming. Furthermore you should act as if you really don't want the job. Tell them you are just trying to find some work until something better comes along.

You will be employed the following day.

On a serious note. Remember, the person interviewing you is probably in direct line of you once you are hired. Impress them too much and you have signed your death warrant. This is common in business. It is also one of the biggest reasons I went to work for myself many years ago and never looked back.

The interviewer is probably only a notch or two above the positin he or she is interviewing you for. Selling yourself is the hardest thing you will ever sale. Most folks aren't the slighest bit interested in your qualifications. They want to know how you are going to "fit". The fact is most managers aren't confident enough to really go after the "best" qualified candidates for positions for the reasons I previously stated. A confident manager will. That my friend is the person you are looking for. When the right situation sparks you will know it.

Let them ask questions however you ask just as many. The right situation is out there. You are an entrepreneur, you have demonstrated that ability for everyone on this board many times. You are a first rate problem solver, quick thinker and a very capable young man. I wouldn't have any doubt that the gentleman you referred to is foolish for not hiring you and just the fact that he did not tells me that and I would think everyone here would agree. So! Keep plugging. DO NOT allow yourself to submit to a prescription for defeat. Enter each and every interview with the confidence that you are about to encounter the "perfect" situation for YOU. By doing this you will be sharp when it counts, which is every time. If you overimpress, GOOD! It isn't the right situation. Why would someone like you want to get involved with an unchallanging bunch of snivelheads anyway.

Now! Forget that situation and go find the one that is right. I know this sounds cheesy but if it were not so it would not have become one of America's favorite and most used sayings, "If at first you do not succeed, try, try again!

You will meet with success. This I know to be so!

Good Luck.

DragonStryk72
04-11-2008, 11:47 AM

Does it occur to you that you may have a better resume than the man that's hiring you?

manu1959
04-11-2008, 11:48 AM
Does it occur to you that you may have a better resume than the man that's hiring you?

yes that is true as well .... "overqualified" = oh shit this guy can do my job ....

Abbey Marie
04-15-2008, 12:21 PM
Any word, Jim?

jimnyc
04-16-2008, 04:02 PM
Hey Jim...

Thanks for the kind words, emmett, appreciated!!

Well, he did seem kind of lost when I started rambling on about a few things I learned over the years! The machines they work on are specialized POS touch screen systems for restaurants, so maybe he doesn't get very technically involved outside of that. It's not hard to beat my resume... rather than any one thing jumping out at you, I'm more of a jack of all trades. My experience goes from hardware support, desktop support, phone & remote support, network administration, cabling & racking of servers & a couple years of light maintenance on servers (and all the internet crap). I'd have to say I learned the most over the years from doing jobs for friends and my own work at home.

Any word, Jim?

Not a peep. Sent out no less than 75 resumes online since last Friday and not a damn call from anyone.

OCA
04-16-2008, 04:54 PM
Jimmy did you cover the prison tats when you went on the interview?:laugh2:

jimnyc
04-18-2008, 05:15 PM
Jimmy did you cover the prison tats when you went on the interview?:laugh2:

It was only a telephone interview, didn't even make it to the face to face! But as much of a scummy dirtbag I am, I always dress with my best suit and tie on interviews! Funny thing about that... When I interviewed for my last position with Cadbury, I showed up wearing my suit, and my boss was in jeans and a t-shirt covered with tats and his Harley was parked outside! They liked me much better when I switched to short sleeves there!