PDA

View Full Version : Vento To City: Reform Or I'll Sue

stephanie
04-09-2008, 05:18 PM
:clap:

By: Jenny DeHuff, The Bulletin
04/09/2008

Philadelphia - While the Commission on Human Relations may think the fight against cheesesteak tycoon Joey Vento is out for the count, the steak slinger himself said he's got one more round in him.

From the brick walkway honoring fallen Philadelphia police officers outside Geno's Steak in South Philadelphia, Mr. Vento, flanked by his attorneys, said he is giving the Commission on Human Relations 30 days to decide whether or not to change a vital piece of its policy - or else they will sue.

On March 19, the commission, in spite of pressure from City Council to press the issue, vindicated Mr. Vento by ruling his store front sign, "This is America, When Ordering Please Speak English," did not violate a city ordinance.

Al Weiss, attorney for Mr. Vento, said he was not fully pleased with the way the case transpired.

"It took way too long, was very costly, and denied Joey his basic rights," he said.

"This is a first amendment question," said Shannon Goessling, executive director and chief legal counsel of the Southeastern Legal Foundation based out of Atlanta, Ga., and co-counsel to Mr. Vento.

"We're asking City Council to appoint a special panel to evaluate the process of the [Human Relations] commission and to rewrite its policy so it's not unconstitutional," she said.

"The commission's decisions are purely arbitrary and it's not what we deserve as citizens."

read the rest..
http://www.thebulletin.us/site/index.cfm?newsid=19466565&BRD=2737&PAG=461&dept_id=576361&rfi=8

04-09-2008, 07:25 PM
i heard he was considering a lawsuit. didnt hear what it was about till now. But yeah, Id definitely be agreeing with him here... unless the city hires me. Then you never heard this.