PDA

View Full Version : Carter Meeting With Terrorists

hjmick
04-10-2008, 01:31 PM
What the hell does Jimmy Carter think he is doing? It's already well established that he favors the Palestinian cause, does he believe commiserating with Hamas will in some way legitimize their tactics and goals (destroying Israel)? He hasn't already pissed of Israel enough? I'm sure they consider him an enemy of the state. Is he looking for another Nobel for not actually bringing peace...anywhere? Of course, we now know, thanks to a Nobel official who "inadvertently" leaked the information, that Carter's Nobel Prize was actually meant as a slap at America. I love it when that kind of criteria is used for handing out awards.

I have to agree with Time magazine, they wrote that some of Carter's "Lone Ranger work has taken him dangerously close to the neighborhood of what we used to call treason." How is it not? Now he's going to cozy up to Hamas? What? Does he miss his old friend Yasir? Now he needs a new terrorist buddy?

Well, I didn't like Carter when he sat in the Oval Office, and he's done nothing since leaving it that has caused me to change my opinion of the man. He should have never left his farm.

State Department: Carter Meeting With Terrorists 'Not in the Interest of Peace'

Thursday, April 10, 2008
By Joseph Abrams

NEW YORK — Former President Jimmy Carter's upcoming meeting with senior officials of the Palestinian terror group Hamas is "not in the interest of peace," according to State Department spokesman Sean McCormack.

FOX News confirmed today that Carter will travel to Syria next week for an unprecedented meeting with the senior leadership of Hamas. The State Department has designated Hamas a “foreign terrorist organization,” a stance McCormack reiterated today.

McCormack said that although the State Department would "provide support befitting a former President," Carter had been "counseled" earlier this week that such a meeting was not in the interest of U.S. foreign policy.

FOXNews.com first reported Tuesday on an item in the Arabic-language newspaper Al-Hayat that said Carter was preparing an unprecedented meeting with Khaled Meshal, the exiled head of Hamas who lives in Damascus.

McCormack once said of the prospect of meeting with Meshal, “That’s not something that we could possibly conceive of.”

Earlier today a senior Hamas official confirmed reports of the meeting, according to the Associated Press.

The official, Mohammed Nazzal, told the AP that Carter sent an envoy to Damascus requesting a meeting with Hamas leadership, including Meshal, and that Hamas "welcomed the request." The meeting will take place on April 18, he said...

Complete story... (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,348989,00.html)

I liked this line:

"Carter had been "counseled" earlier this week that such a meeting was not in the interest of U.S. foreign policy."

So he has basically said screw you, I don't give two rips about U.S. foreign policy. Look, I realize that a lot of people do not like our President, but he is the President. Like it or not. And as President, he determines ultimately what U.S. foreign policy will be. Does his dislike for this administration justify his attempts to undermine U.S. foreign policy? I certainly don't believe that it does.

Another good one:

"Carter sent an envoy to Damascus requesting a meeting with Hamas leadership"

HE called them!!?? What the hell?

The sooner this man drops out of public life, the better.

glockmail
04-10-2008, 01:50 PM
Maybe we can put a GPS transponder down his pants and use him to target the Hamas guy. I hear Bush got an old Soviet bomb as a gift from Putin last week that he plans on outfitting with a guidance system, just for the occaision. :coffee:

Hagbard Celine
04-10-2008, 01:52 PM
Any dialogue in that conflict is better than no dialogue. I know that doesn't mesh well with ya'll's "Ignore all enemies of the state so maybe they'll go away" strategy, but the rest of us think it's a pretty good idea :laugh:

glockmail
04-10-2008, 01:58 PM
Any dialogue in that conflict is better than no dialogue. I know that doesn't mesh well with ya'll's "Ignore all enemies of the state so maybe they'll go away" strategy, but the rest of us think it's a pretty good idea :laugh:
That's what the CIA is for, not a high profile meeting with an ex-Prez. :pee:

Hagbard Celine
04-10-2008, 02:08 PM
That's what the CIA is for, not a high profile meeting with an ex-Prez. :pee:
Maybe if the CIA's resident CiC didn't share in your strategic philosophy of "Ignore all enemies," we wouldn't need a civilian to make inroads with the Palestinians. :thumb:

stephanie
04-10-2008, 02:38 PM
Carter was not only the worst President of the United States..

He has been an even worse "former President" of the United States...

He has become a joke...

glockmail
04-10-2008, 08:08 PM
Maybe if the CIA's resident CiC didn't share in your strategic philosophy of "Ignore all enemies," we wouldn't need a civilian to make inroads with the Palestinians. :thumb:I'm sure the CIA has been having meetings with Hamas for years now. Carter's meeting would at best be a joke to these guys.

actsnoblemartin
04-10-2008, 09:22 PM
yeah chamberlin tried that, and look what happened 50 million dead

instead of , standing up to hitler, which would have prevented all the needless suffering of WWII

04-11-2008, 11:48 AM

are you suggesting we should actually dialogue with terrorist organizations?

Hagbard Celine
04-11-2008, 12:01 PM
are you suggesting we should actually dialogue with terrorist organizations?

:clap: I was wrong about you Avatar, you can learn!

04-11-2008, 12:03 PM
:clap: I was wrong about you Avatar, you can learn!

So you are actually going to take the position that we should legitimize the techniques and practices of terrorist organizations by giving them the attention they use terrorism to get?

How exactly is rewarding terroristic behavior a good Foreign policy?

Hagbard Celine
04-11-2008, 12:22 PM
So you are actually going to take the position that we should legitimize the techniques and practices of terrorist organizations by giving them the attention they use terrorism to get?

How exactly is rewarding terroristic behavior a good Foreign policy?

It's not a reward drama queen. You're attributing a bunch of broadly-painted BS to what I've said--something you always do--and then you act as if you've proven me wrong based on the fact that I didn't agree with your new, off-topic black-and-white generalization that you conjured out of nowhere. We aren't talking about "terrorist organizations" in this thread man. We're discussing the issue of Carter making a visit to Hamas. A single organization. You can't treat all organizations exactly alike. The world isn't a two dimensional place.
Talking to the Palestinians' elected government is not "rewarding terrorism." It's part of normal diplomacy. Why would we not want to talk with them? This is one of the oldest conflicts in the world so how would ignoring one side of it add anything positive to the equation?

04-11-2008, 12:36 PM
It's not a reward drama queen. You're attributing a bunch of broadly-painted BS to what I've said--something you always do--and then you act as if you've proven me wrong based on the fact that I didn't agree with your new, off-topic black-and-white generalization that you conjured out of nowhere. We aren't talking about "terrorist organizations" in this thread man. We're discussing the issue of Carter making a visit to Hamas. A single organization. You can't treat all organizations exactly alike. The world isn't a two dimensional place.
Talking to the Palestinians' elected government is not "rewarding terrorism." It's part of normal diplomacy. Why would we not want to talk with them? This is one of the oldest conflicts in the world so how would ignoring one side of it add anything positive to the equation?

It very much is a reward. They use terrorism to get attention. you give them attention. It's a reward.

Hamas is a terrorist organization. And we wouldn't want to talk to them because they are the ones causing the problem. Talking to them and convincing them they are getting somewhere using their tactics will encourage them to cause more problems.

This isnt rocket science. Its not that difficult to understand. If you give people who act badly attention, it encourage them to continue to act badly because they are getting what they want.

Hagbard Celine
04-11-2008, 12:42 PM
It very much is a reward. They use terrorism to get attention. you give them attention. It's a reward.

Hamas is a terrorist organization. And we wouldn't want to talk to them because they are the ones causing the problem. Talking to them and convincing them they are getting somewhere using their tactics will encourage them to cause more problems.

This isnt rocket science. Its not that difficult to understand. If you give people who act badly attention, it encourage them to continue to act badly because they are getting what they want.

Neither is my position. You have to open up your mind to the fact that the differences between these organizations matter. Palestinians aren't fighting against the "great Satan." They aren't al-Qaeda. From the Palestinian pov, when they attack Israel, they're doing so in order to win their sovereignty. I also disagree with their tactics, but you can't just label them "terrorist" and then treat them the same as you would an al-Qaeda thug. You have to take into account the fact that Hamas is an elected government, it's not just some rogue element operating with nobody's support other than it's own. They represent the Palestinian people and like it or not, they're over there clamoring for international acknowledgement. If you ignore them, who's to say your people shouldn't be ignored when they have a grievance that needs addressing?

04-11-2008, 12:44 PM
Neither is my position. You have to open up your mind to the fact that the differences between these organizations matter. Palestinians aren't fighting against the "great Satan." They aren't al-Qaeda. From the Palestinian pov, when they attack Israel, they're doing so in order to win their sovereignty. I also disagree with their tactics, but you can't just label them "terrorist" and then treat them the same as you would an al-Qaeda thug. You have to take into account the fact that Hamas is an elected government, it's not just some rogue element operating with nobody's support other than it's own.

They've had soveriegnty for years. They've been offered everything they originally "demanded". They don't want sovereignty. If they did they would be happy with what they were offered. They want genocide. You can't talk to people whose goal is mass genocide.

Gaffer
04-11-2008, 03:09 PM
hamas is and always has been a terrorist organization. They are funded by syria, iran and all the other arab countries in the region. They do not wish to negociate other than to get something for their terror efforts. They do not and refuse to recognize Israels right to exist. hamas is exactly the same as AQ, just under a different name. hamas, hezbollah, AQ, muslim brotherhood, they are all the same. Deal with one you deal with them all.

The only good hamas is a dead hamas.

Peanut brain is just showing us which side of the fence he's really on.

Pale Rider
04-11-2008, 05:16 PM
Somewhere along the line we have to say enough is enough and start throwing these moron traitors in jail. This fuckin' carter has peanuts in his head, not in the dirt on his farm.