PDA

View Full Version : Trent Lott: Man of the People, Fledgling Lobbyist

stephanie
04-11-2008, 08:40 PM
Gag me...TERM LIMITS-NOW:poke:

Former Sen. Trent Lott (R-Miss.) is struggling a bit to adjust to life as a lobbyist.

"I took the Metro for the first time," Lott told the Sleuth Thursday afternoon in the makeup room of MSNBC, where he and his new lobbying partner, former Sen. John Breaux (D-La.), were fixin (as Lott says) to do a TV segment.

"He's been standing in front of his house waiting for his car and driver," laughed Breaux from the makeup chair, adding with a tinge of a low-country twang, "He's learning how to hail a cab." (Read: HAY-ul a cab.)

Life in the private sector isn't as cushy as Lott thought it would be. No more free lunches, no more taxpayer-funded car and driver, no more overprotective press secretary guarding him from the pesky media.

Lott says he doesn't drive. He doesn't own a car. Usually, he walks. One day, he says, he walked the 30 or so blocks from his downtown office on 14th Street Northwest to his home in Southeast Washington on Capitol Hill.

Lott took his first Metro ride ever last weekend, when thousands of tourists were in town enjoying the annual Cherry Blossom Festival. Could there be a more perfect time for a prima donna first-time rider?

"I stood up the whole time," Lott said, smiling, as if he enjoyed it.

Lott really had no idea how to even go about taking public transportation. He didn't know how to use the Metro fare card machines, or how much money to put on his trip ticket, or how to add money to one of the fare cards his wife gave him. Truly: clueless.

read the rest and comments..
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/sleuth/2008/04/trent_lott_man_of_the_people_f.html?hpid=news-col-blog

04-11-2008, 08:59 PM
i agree. this was long overdue. and send him back to his home state. lets forget the lobbying.

Yurt
04-11-2008, 09:03 PM
so all elected officials should take public transport? and what is "public" transport?

04-11-2008, 09:40 PM
so all elected officials should take public transport? and what is "public" transport?

i dont care if they do or not. but they should atleast drive themselves around.

Gaffer
04-12-2008, 08:02 AM

public transport means he rode the bus.