PDA

View Full Version : New bike

LiberalNation
04-12-2008, 12:25 PM
Just bought a new bike (well parents did, paid cash and I hafta pay them back $200 every 2 weeks). A 2008 Ninja 650R, green one. Real nice bike, all the power i could want, balanced and sets well, haven't rode it yet, hope I ain't disapointed in the choice.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg256/Nikki6103/g2.jpg

Mr. P
04-12-2008, 12:37 PM
I donno, I just can't accept a "crotch rocket" as a legitimate motorcycle. It's just a fast way to the cemetery for young inexperienced riders, IMO.

Pale Rider
04-12-2008, 01:17 PM
Just bought a new bike (well parents did, paid cash and I hafta pay them back $200 every 2 weeks). A 2008 Ninja 650R, green one. Real nice bike, all the power i could want, balanced and sets well, haven't rode it yet, hope I ain't disapointed in the choice.
Great little bike. Very fast. You'll find it will get you into trouble as fast as it can get you out of trouble. Very impractical for a daily rider.

I donno, I just can't accept a "crotch rocket" as a legitimate motorcycle. It's just a fast way to the cemetery for young inexperienced riders, IMO.
For every one person that crashes on a Harley, a hundred crash on those sport bikes, for the very reason you gave Mr. P.

LiberalNation
04-12-2008, 01:22 PM
Great little bike. Very fast.
w00t.

I'm really not a speed demon or crazy when I ride tho. I normally don't push out of my comfort zone. What good is a cool bike if you get a speedin ticket you don't have the cash to pay for not to mention wrecking. Hitting the pavement at 80 doesn't sound like a lot of fun.

actsnoblemartin
04-12-2008, 01:25 PM
thats an excellent point, i wont even get on a bike, too scary :poke:

Pale Rider
04-12-2008, 01:27 PM
w00t.

I'm really not a speed demon or crazy when I ride tho. I normally don't push out of my comfort zone. What good is a cool bike if you get a speedin ticket you don't have the cash to pay for not to mention wrecking. Hitting the pavement at 80 doesn't sound like a lot of fun.

Well that bike is fast. Remember dmp and his 650 Suzuki? Didn't take him long to pile that thing up. Just be real careful how far you twist the throttle, because that bike will turn on. My bet is it'll do like 165 mph, with ease.

Maybe you should have stuck with a cruiser style bike, like a Harley Sportster.

LiberalNation
04-12-2008, 01:29 PM
Should. It will be like a rocket compared to my 250 honda rebel.

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/detail.aspx?id=264&content=details

Pale Rider
04-12-2008, 01:33 PM
Should. It will be like a rocket compared to my 250 honda rebel.

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/detail.aspx?id=264&content=details

No doubt. At least you had a small bike to learn on though. Too many people start right out with no experience at all on a bike like that 650, and they wind up mangled or dead. Can't tell you how many bikes like that I've seen crashed on Geiger Grade going up to Virginia City, or Mount Rose Hwy going up to Lake Tahoe. Both extremely twisty roads they like to race up and down. Bike all messed up in pieces, people laying in the ditch. They go flying past us on our Harley's, but at least we get to where we're going in one piece.

82Marine89
04-12-2008, 02:33 PM
w00t.

Hitting the pavement at 55 isn't fun, but if you're gonna ride, you're gonna eat asphalt at one time or another. Be careful and have fun.

Pale Rider
04-12-2008, 02:42 PM
Hitting the pavement at 55 isn't fun, but if you're gonna ride, you're gonna eat asphalt at one time or another. Be careful and have fun.

And it may not even be your fault. Like the asshole that ran a red light and turned in front of me causing my last crash. Cost the fucker almost $22,500 before it was all said and done. But there's another butt munch out there just waiting to do the same thing again. Got to be REAL careful these days on a bike.

Trigg
04-12-2008, 02:52 PM
My husband wants to buy a bike to drive back and forth to work. He's looking at a Yamaha V-star 250 or Suzuki GZ 250, not a big bike just something to drive the back roads and save on gas milage.

Anyone have a comment on these different bikes??

DragonStryk72
04-12-2008, 03:00 PM

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg256/Nikki6103/g2.jpg

I was always more a fan on low riders. I just have this feeling deep in my soul that my ass is not supposed to be above my head when I'm driving.

Sitarro
04-12-2008, 04:17 PM
I would say that your parents are very irresponsible and will regret this decision as you will. There is no second chance on one of those things and unfortunately you will probably take some other young naive girl with you. The entire attitude of that style of bike promotes stupidity and offensive driving when on 2 wheels defensive driving is the only way to stay alive and not end up a vegetable. If they would have bought you a BMW GS650 it would be a different thing, still dangerous for a young, inexperienced driver, but not a race bike that is built for only one thing, going very fast on a RACE TRACK.

I was behind an imbecile, on one of those rice burners, doing about 70 mph in the middle lane of I-45. All of a sudden this clown jumps on to his knees on the seat and cranks the throttle while pulling back and does a 70 mph wheelie, endangering everyone around his dumb ass. Luckily he didn't eat it then he took off doing well over a hundred miles an hour.

insurance must be a treat to pay for.:laugh2:

Pale Rider
04-12-2008, 04:32 PM
I would say that your parents are very irresponsible and will regret this decision as you will. There is no second chance on one of those things and unfortunately you will probably take some other young naive girl with you. The entire attitude of that style of bike promotes stupidity and offensive driving when on 2 wheels defensive driving is the only way to stay alive and not end up a vegetable. If they would have bought you a BMW GS650 it would be a different thing, still dangerous for a young, inexperienced driver, but not a race bike that is built for only one thing, going very fast on a RACE TRACK.

I was behind an imbecile, on one of those rice burners, doing about 70 mph in the middle lane of I-45. All of a sudden this clown jumps on to his knees on the seat and cranks the throttle while pulling back and does a 70 mph wheelie, endangering everyone around his dumb ass. Luckily he didn't eat it then he took off doing well over a hundred miles an hour.

insurance must be a treat to pay for.:laugh2:

See it all the time. They love to pull up next to Harleys and do that. I just think to myself, "what a fuckin' moron," and keep on truckin'. I know they'll crash long before I do.

Pale Rider
04-12-2008, 04:36 PM
I was always more a fan on low riders. I just have this feeling deep in my soul that my ass is not supposed to be above my head when I'm driving.

I wouldn't mind having one of these kinds of bikes. The Kaw ZX 14 Ninja in fact. But it would be for one thing and one thing only... going fast. It certainly wouldn't be a daily rider. That thing is more an impractical toy than my Harley is.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3062/2408774790_2be6d19ec3_o.jpg

LiberalNation
04-12-2008, 06:19 PM

Yeah, i doubt I'll be doin that. It's cool watchin people pull tricks like that tho. Dangerous as anything.

Pale Rider
04-12-2008, 06:43 PM
Yeah, i doubt I'll be doin that. It's cool watchin people pull tricks like that tho. Dangerous as anything.

Get yourself a good full face helmet, a good set of leathers with reinforement, and some heavy riding gloves. Don't mean to freak you out, but chances are better you will than not need it sooner or later.

manu1959
04-12-2008, 09:26 PM
Get yourself a good full face helmet, a good set of leathers with reinforement, and some heavy riding gloves. Don't mean to freak you out, but chances are better you will than not need it sooner or later.

as the old saying goes....there are only two types of riders .... those that have been down and those that are going down .....

LiberalNation
04-12-2008, 10:54 PM
Some real pics, didn't get to ride it today. Cold and the winds gusting and I've been working all night. Stupid job.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg256/Nikki6103/Picture1128.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg256/Nikki6103/Picture1130.jpg

Monkeybone
04-14-2008, 07:33 AM
just be careful LN, those are the kinda bikes that you will be going fater on than you realize. and they can get up to spped quick.

do like the green though

glockmail
04-14-2008, 08:32 AM
I prefer the term: "organ donor machine".

Trigg
04-14-2008, 02:59 PM
My husband wants to buy a bike to drive back and forth to work. He's looking at a Yamaha V-star 250 or Suzuki GZ 250, not a big bike just something to drive the back roads and save on gas milage.

Anyone have a comment on these different bikes??

What?? No one has an oppinion????????????

glockmail
04-14-2008, 03:11 PM
What?? No one has an oppinion???????????? Tell him to get a good mud/ rain suit. I don't miss that about those northern springs.

Seriously though my first bike was a Honda 450, 4 cycle engine, circa 1972. It was made for dirt roads, not off road, and had side pipes. They used to have a name for that, I think maybe a "scrambler" (?). It had tires sort of between dirt tire "knobbies" and smooth "street" treads. It would do about 65 on level pavement and not much more. If he could get something like that without the oil leak, alloy wheels instead of the stupid spokes that mine had, and better brakes, he'd probably get a lot of use out of it.

LiberalNation
04-14-2008, 03:17 PM
Too small if he has to do any highway riding at all.

Trigg
04-14-2008, 03:43 PM
Too small if he has to do any highway riding at all.

He won't be riding it on the highway, back roads all the way.

Trigg
04-14-2008, 03:46 PM
Tell him to get a good mud/ rain suit. I don't miss that about those northern springs.

Seriously though my first bike was a Honda 450, 4 cycle engine, circa 1972. It was made for dirt roads, not off road, and had side pipes. They used to have a name for that, I think maybe a "scrambler" (?). It had tires sort of between dirt tire "knobbies" and smooth "street" treads. It would do about 65 on level pavement and not much more. If he could get something like that without the oil leak, alloy wheels instead of the stupid spokes that mine had, and better brakes, he'd probably get a lot of use out of it.

Here's a pic.

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2008models/2008models-Yamaha-V-Star250.htm

I don't like bikes much, nothing between him and the cement if there's a wreck. But, I"m bending because of gas prices and he promises to sell the go-cart before buying this.

glockmail
04-14-2008, 04:07 PM
Here's a pic.

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2008models/2008models-Yamaha-V-Star250.htm

I don't like bikes much, nothing between him and the cement if there's a wreck. But, I"m bending because of gas prices and he promises to sell the go-cart before buying this.
I don't know your hubby, but my guess is that he's not going to like something like that. That is a small street bike. For what you described, he should be looking at this category: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/school-SectionThree.htm#dualsport

glockmail
04-14-2008, 04:15 PM
This is what I'm talking about: http://www.revver.com/video/684834/dual-sport-motorcycle-comparison-review-motorcycleusacom/ These are the biggest of the dual-sports. He should also look at a 450cc. These type of bikes will take the beating of rough roads without beating him up too badly in the process, and can still be riden on the street safely.

Mr. P
04-14-2008, 05:17 PM
What?? No one has an oppinion????????????

Mine: Dealing with the cost of gas is a good thing.
A man with a family to raise putting himself at higher risk of death or injury, bad thing.
Pay for the gas, it's the safe thing.

glockmail
04-14-2008, 05:49 PM
Mine: Dealing with the cost of gas is a good thing.
A man with a family to raise putting himself at higher risk of death or injury, bad thing.
Pay for the gas, it's the safe thing. I would argue that a trained rider is at least as safe on a M/C, as long as there is no traffic. Its the other cars and trucks that are a problem. That's why I quit riding.

But back roads with one of those dual sport jobs- as long as you're alert, you can avoid a car by driving off the shoulder onto a field if you had to, and keep right on going.

manu1959
04-14-2008, 05:54 PM
my wife was an emt.......she can tell you lots of stories as to why you should never ride a motorcycle.....

Mr. P
04-14-2008, 05:55 PM
I would argue that a trained rider is at least as safe on a M/C, as long as there is no traffic. Its the other cars and trucks that are a problem. That's why I quit riding.

But back roads with one of those dual sport jobs- as long as you're alert, you can avoid a car by driving off the shoulder onto a field if you had to, and keep right on going.

Which we know is impossible. I stand by my position. The risk to the family is too high to justify saving a few bucks on gas.

LiberalNation
04-14-2008, 06:06 PM
Life is a risk. If your gona take that route then he shouldn't drive a car either, lots more people die in car wrecks.

glockmail
04-14-2008, 06:34 PM
Which we know is impossible. I stand by my position. The risk to the family is too high to justify saving a few bucks on gas. That's true, of course, but as I recall during my college days in Western Mass, I could travel for hours on back roads with very little traffic. The roads were narrow and windy, and if I picked up a tailgater I could either squirt the throttle and lose him, or slow down and wave him on. I have also executed a "reverse pass" to lose tailgaters numerous times.

Which brings up an important point for Trigg's hubby- He needs to have enough power to be able to get out of harms way should the need arise.

I also lived in metro Boston and commuted for three years when I was in my early 20's and I can attest that at least three times car drivers tried to kill me, and only through my quick reaction and cool head did I manage to avoid them.

That being said, when I lived in Upstate NY the "back roads" tended to be wide and straight, and cars tended to come up behind you fairly quickly. Although I could do well past the legal speed limit with a 650cc street bike, I could not "lose" tailgaters quite as easily. That is the reason why I quit riding.

So the risk is higher than with a car or truck, but it can be manageable, depending on the type of roads, amount of traffic, their temperament, and your ability to avoid traffic and to keep a clear head.

Mr. P
04-14-2008, 10:49 PM
Life is a risk. If your gona take that route then he shouldn't drive a car either, lots more people die in car wrecks.

Yep, but having a family comes with responsibility too. IMO it's not responsible to "unnecessarily" increase the risks in life WHEN you have such a responsibility.
Riding a motorcycle on public highways does increase risk, so does skydiving.

If yer young and single or an old empty nester go for it...otherwise wait.

Pale Rider
04-15-2008, 01:49 AM
This is what I'm talking about: http://www.revver.com/video/684834/dual-sport-motorcycle-comparison-review-motorcycleusacom/ These are the biggest of the dual-sports. He should also look at a 450cc. These type of bikes will take the beating of rough roads without beating him up too badly in the process, and can still be riden on the street safely.

I beg to differ. If that was the test of the "biggest" dual sport bikes, they were leaving out the one that makes those look like the kiddie corner. I've ridden these things, and they're NASTY powerful. http://www.buell.com/en_us/bikes/adventure/xb12x/features.asp

Pale Rider
04-15-2008, 01:53 AM

ITA. There's more to riding a motorcycle than just, "riding a motorcycle." It's a love. It's a life style. It gets in your blood and you like to do it. Yeah a guy ran a red light in front of me last year and I T-boned him on my Harley. Well as soon as my bike was fixed, I was right back out riding. I'm going to die sooner or later, and if I die riding, at least I died doing something I really, REALLY like to do. I'm not going to live my life scared.

One thing I will say, I've been riding for over forty years, and with that amount of experience, your chances of getting into a wreck are greatly reduced. Had I been going just a little bit slower, say the speed limit, I'd have avoided colliding with the ass wad the ran the light. But, I speed on my bike, most of the time. When you ride with clubs, they go hell bent, white knuckle riding, in formation. You can't hang, get the fuck out. I think it's fun. It's a rush like few will EVER experience.

glockmail
04-15-2008, 08:49 AM
I beg to differ. If that was the test of the "biggest" dual sport bikes, they were leaving out the one that makes those look like the kiddie corner. I've ridden these things, and they're NASTY powerful. http://www.buell.com/en_us/bikes/adventure/xb12x/features.asp LOL leave it to them Harley guys: 1203 ccs. Now THATS a bad-ass dual sport.

Pale Rider
04-15-2008, 11:45 AM
LOL leave it to them Harley guys: 1203 ccs. Now THATS a bad-ass dual sport.

It's a Buell. 103 freagin' horse power! You can power up the front wheel into a wheelie with just a quick twist of the throttle. Wicked horse power and torque on tap. I'd love to have one... :D

glockmail
04-15-2008, 01:40 PM
It's a Buell. 103 freagin' horse power! You can power up the front wheel into a wheelie with just a quick twist of the throttle. Wicked horse power and torque on tap. I'd love to have one... :D
Aren't they made by Harley? I saw some in a Harley dealer one time. It looks like the same basic engine. Potato, potato?

Pale Rider
04-15-2008, 01:42 PM
Aren't they made by Harley? I saw some in a Harley dealer one time. It looks like the same basic engine. Potato, potato?
It's like Saturn being a subsidiary of GM. Harley money is behind them, but they do what they want separately. Yeah that's a very worked over, massaged Sportster engine in it. They don't "potato potato" much anymore. Not since fuel injection.