PDA

View Full Version : African Wins The Masters Golf Tournament!

Sitarro
04-13-2008, 06:42 PM
South African that is.:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2: Trevor Immelman won in a great example of concentration and desire playing on a course that couldn't of been much harder to score on, great story. And he killed Tiger's chance at a Grand Slam!:clap::clap::clap:

Mr. P
04-13-2008, 06:50 PM
Tiger had an off day today...But Immelman played damn good.

OCA
04-13-2008, 07:16 PM
Tiger had an off day today...But Immelman played damn good.

Just today? Tiger was off all 4 days.

retiredman
04-13-2008, 07:18 PM
Just today? Tiger was off all 4 days.

and still came in second place all by himself just three strokes off the lead. When Tiger is OFF he is still better than most of the other players on tour.

OCA
04-13-2008, 07:21 PM
and still came in second place all by himself just three strokes off the lead. When Tiger is OFF he is still better than most of the other players on tour.

Only reason he finished 2nd is because Snedeker, Flesch, Casey and Cink all choked on their own bile. He certainly didn't earn that 2nd place finish, the guy couldn't putt the greens at my local muni today.

I personally hope that Tiger never breaks Jack's records.

Mr. P
04-13-2008, 08:02 PM
I think Tiger may be the greatest golfer ever, cept for me of course. :cheers2:

Sitarro
04-13-2008, 10:08 PM
Only reason he finished 2nd is because Snedeker, Flesch, Casey and Cink all choked on their own bile. He certainly didn't earn that 2nd place finish, the guy couldn't putt the greens at my local muni today.

Tiger's drive on 13 compared with Immelman's or Snedeker's was really pathetic. His out and then the approach were both great shots but missing that putt was huge. That doesn't happen to Tiger on Sunday with a chance to win a major, most of the time. He putted poorly, by Tiger's standards, all week, it made him just a really good player rather than a golf God. The same was true of Michelson. Both are incredible shot makers but if they don't have their putting on they will rarely win tournaments.

Immelman's poise throughout the tournament may be an awakening, maybe we will see a much more competitive PGA Tour....... I hope so.

I too would hate to see Jack's record broken(I grew up watching him battle really great golfers to do it), golf is nothing like it was when he produced it, those guys played almost every week and the money was nothing like it is today. His record 19 second place Major finishes won't be broken for sure, Tiger will probably break the record of Major wins though.

I also don't want Bob Jones's Grand Slam record to be broken either, he is too great of a role model to be messed with.

retiredman
04-13-2008, 10:25 PM

who DID putt the greens of Augusta well on this particular Sunday? Tiger was even par today...only four golfers in the whole field: Jimenez, Watney, Appleby and Slocum were under par on Sunday, and they were all way out of the running.

Mr. P
04-13-2008, 10:43 PM
I love to play golf, I wish it wasn't SO DAMN expensive to play.

retiredman
04-13-2008, 10:49 PM
aren't there some reasonable muni courses in Georgia? I can play 18 in Maine at a cute little course for about $25. The most expensive courses in the state are about $100.

I can get a membership at that first course I mentioned for about $500/season. That can be pretty cost effective if you commit to playing a lot.

Mr. P
04-13-2008, 10:57 PM
aren't there some reasonable muni courses in Georgia? I can play 18 in Maine at a cute little course for about $25. The most expensive courses in the state are about $100.

I can get a membership at that first course I mentioned for about $500/season. That can be pretty cost effective if you commit to playing a lot.

There are muni courses... I haven't played in years and then the most expensive course I ever played was $25. Even though I love to play it isn't worth more than that to me. I'm so cheap I squeak when I walk. :laugh2:

retiredman
04-13-2008, 11:03 PM
There are muni courses... I haven't played in years and then the most expensive course I ever played was $25. Even though I love to play it isn't worth more than that to me. I'm so cheap I squeak when I walk. :laugh2:

If you find a little nine hole track and join it...then play it all the time, the cost/round goes down a lot!

PhotonMac
04-14-2008, 06:14 AM

Why do you not want him to break Jack's record? Did you not want Cal Ripken to break, Lou Gehrigs record either?......or Roger Maris' record to go down? Other players chasing records keeps the sport from getting stale, IMO

OCA
04-14-2008, 03:42 PM
Why do you not want him to break Jack's record? Did you not want Cal Ripken to break, Lou Gehrigs record either?......or Roger Maris' record to go down? Other players chasing records keeps the sport from getting stale, IMO

I don't think that he earned his way to the tour. Jack, Arnie, Hogan etc. etc. played because they liked to eat and pay their mortgages, Tiger gets 40 million from Nike the day he turns pro and doesn't have to worry about a thing.

I would've liked to see Tiger get nothing from a sponsor except some clubs and apparel until he earned the money through on course performance. I think Tiger has had everything in the game.........the best equipment, access to the state of the art practice equipment and areas, everything has been handed to him on a silver platter because............dare I say it..............he was Black and good.

And i's be willing to bet if Tiger had to play back in the day with 1 irons that looked like garden implements like Jack did Tiger doesn't get as many majors or tour victories. I think if we made everything even between Jack and Tiger, equpment and age, Jack takes him 4 and 3.

OCA
04-14-2008, 03:46 PM
who DID putt the greens of Augusta well on this particular Sunday? Tiger was even par today...only four golfers in the whole field: Jimenez, Watney, Appleby and Slocum were under par on Sunday, and they were all way out of the running.

Trevor Immelman putted them good Sunday, Tiger putted bad all week, even Saturday when the humidity was up, the greens were receptive and the wind was non-existent.

I'm not saying that Tiger is notgood, he very well could be the best ever but I don't believe he's unbeatable and in fact when it comes to majors Tiger must have the 54 hole lead or he doesn't win, I think that equates to Tiger doesn't handle "sunday major need to make birdies" pressure, he starts pressing and things go south in a hurry.

emmett
04-15-2008, 11:00 PM

But he will...

emmett
04-15-2008, 11:03 PM

That is a good deal!

Abbey Marie
04-16-2008, 10:36 AM

The course my husband plays in Maine every summer costs $120, before adding in the cart rental.

OCA
04-16-2008, 04:26 PM
But he will...

Probably. What I really hope is a trend develops now of other players stepping up to the plate and not wilting when they see Tiger's name appear on the leaderboard.

retiredman
04-16-2008, 05:04 PM
The course my husband plays in Maine every summer costs $120, before adding in the cart rental.

which course IS that?

he's probably getting that "flatlander" rate.:lol:

Abbey Marie
04-16-2008, 07:09 PM
which course IS that?

he's probably getting that "flatlander" rate.:lol:

Ha! They charge the same to his relatives who live in Maine.

It's this one: http://www.belgradelakesgolf.com/

It's apparently the only public course in New England to get a 5 star rating from Golf Digest, whatever that means.

It's built on a pretty high point, and the views of the lakes and surrounding areas are spectacular.

retiredman
04-16-2008, 09:46 PM
Ha! They carge the same to his relatives who live in Maine.

It's this one: http://www.belgradelakesgolf.com/

It's apparently the only public course in New England to get a 5 star rating from Golf Digest, whatever that means.

It's built on a pretty high point, and the views of the lakes and surrounding areas are spectacular.

I have played Belgrade Lakes on three occasions. I paid 90 (with cart) for all three rounds.

But 30 one way or another would not stop me from playing the course.... it is only 20 miles from my home and it IS, for my money, the BEST course in Maine.... Sunday River and Sugarloaf being close behind it.... it is sort of like scotch. I think Johnnie Walker Blue is great scotch, but, at 120 a bottle, I certainly am not going to drink it every NIGHT. I DO have a bottle in my cabinet, however, for special occasions. When my brother from Illinois comes to town, I take him to Belgrade Lakes...but for a quick nine holes in the afternoon, Western View, at $15/nine - like The Famous Grouse scotch - is a reasonable alternative.

OCA
04-16-2008, 09:57 PM
Belgrade Lakes is on Golf Digest's top 100 public courses in the country list..............at 90-120 you should consider it to be a friggin steal when some of the courses on that list are upwards of 500 a round(Pebble Beach, TPC Sawgrass, PGA West etc. etc.) and the average cost being 150-300.

retiredman
04-16-2008, 10:04 PM
Belgrade Lakes is on Golf Digest's top 100 public courses in the country list..............at 90-120 you should consider it to be a friggin steal when some of the courses on that list are upwards of 500 a round(Pebble Beach, TPC Sawgrass, PGA West etc. etc.) and the average cost being 150-300.

The guy who bankrolled the course, Harold Alfond, is a great Maine philanthropist...who just died this past year.... he has built sports stadiums at colleges and prep schools all over Maine. UMaine Hockey plays at the Alfond Arena.... When they were building the course, they were a few months behind schedule and the architect told Harold that they wouldn't be ready to open on time because the would not be able to get the grass planted by the date they needed to....he told them to go ahead and SOD the ENTIRE golf course. It is stunning. I have never played Augusta National - my Dad did - but I would imagine they are similar in that there is not a blade of grass out of place. It is immaculate and a JOY to play.... and I'd play it at least every season if it cost twice what it did.

OCA
04-17-2008, 05:07 AM
The guy who bankrolled the course, Harold Alfond, is a great Maine philanthropist...who just died this past year.... he has built sports stadiums at colleges and prep schools all over Maine. UMaine Hockey plays at the Alfond Arena.... When they were building the course, they were a few months behind schedule and the architect told Harold that they wouldn't be ready to open on time because the would not be able to get the grass planted by the date they needed to....he told them to go ahead and SOD the ENTIRE golf course. It is stunning. I have never played Augusta National - my Dad did - but I would imagine they are similar in that there is not a blade of grass out of place. It is immaculate and a JOY to play.... and I'd play it at least every season if it cost twice what it did.

Whoaaaaaaaaaaa, lets not get overzealous, i've played Pinehurst#2, Olympic Club, Pebble, Spyglass Hill and not even will I say that they could be comparable to Augusta. There is what we laymans consider immaculate and then.................there is Augusta immaculate, remember that.

Augusta is the Sistine Chapel of golf.

retiredman
04-17-2008, 07:54 AM
Whoaaaaaaaaaaa, lets not get overzealous, i've played Pinehurst#2, Olympic Club, Pebble, Spyglass Hill and not even will I say that they could be comparable to Augusta. There is what we laymans consider immaculate and then.................there is Augusta immaculate, remember that.

Augusta is the Sistine Chapel of golf.
Oh...I agree. I only suggested comparability in terms of maintenance. Augusta's inherent beauty puts it in a league of its own. no doubt.

OCA
04-17-2008, 02:29 PM
Oh...I agree. I only suggested comparability in terms of maintenance. Augusta's inherent beauty puts it in a league of its own. no doubt.

Did you know that Augusta doesn't usually look as stellar as it did last week? Basically they chemlawn any brown spots in the fairways and they dye Rae's Creek blue for that week because its usually a dark shade of shit brown the rest of the time.

What is even more amazing is that within a month or two that course will be closed for play until the fall, thats right, the members there don't play the course in the hot, humid Georgia summers, they go elsewhere like Linville, NC where many are members also. There is so much money at Augusta that they are only open for play in the fall and spring.