PDA

View Full Version : Malthus Rides Again --- food shortages and high prices acute worldwide

mundame
04-14-2008, 02:14 PM
Have any of you noticed how incredibly high food prices are right now?

The women here probably have. The Wall Street Journal said today that global food cost is up 83% in three years: now, that's a lot.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/americas/04/14/world.food.crisis/index.html#cnnSTCVideo

4/14/2008

Riots, instability spread as food prices skyrocket

Rise in food prices is "the world's big story," development official warns

World Bank chief warns that rise in prices could set anti-poverty efforts back

Crisis also spurs debate on whether ethanol production is to blame

Riots have occurred in numerous countries recently

(CNN) -- Riots from Haiti to Bangladesh to Egypt over the soaring costs of basic foods have brought the issue to a boiling point and catapulted it to the forefront of the world's attention, the head of an agency focused on global development said Monday.

"This is the world's big story," said Jeffrey Sachs, director of Columbia University's Earth Institute.

"The finance ministers were in shock, almost in panic this weekend," he said on CNN's "American Morning," in a reference to top economic officials who gathered in Washington. "There are riots all over the world in the poor countries ... and, of course, our own poor are feeling it in the United States."

World Bank President Robert Zoellick has said the surging costs could mean "seven lost years" in the fight against worldwide poverty.

"While many are worrying about filling their gas tanks, many others around the world are struggling to fill their stomachs, and it is getting more and more difficult every day," Zoellick said late last week in a speech opening meetings with finance ministers.
Thomas Malthus was an 18th century clergyman famous for his thesis that human population will always increase to as many as the food resources (and other resources) can supply, and then will stay at the edge of population starvation, in a balance with resources. Actually, ALL species of life do that. They expand population till they cannot expand further because there are no more necessary resources. At that point, population crashes for various reasons (disease, predation, food source failure, wars in the case of humans) because it's living on the edge.

Many populations of humans are at that point now, and they are in the countries that are rioting as the food shortages and higher prices caused mostly by oil price rising reduce their food intake.

Any thoughts on this situation?

hjmick
04-14-2008, 02:21 PM
Have any of you noticed how incredibly high food prices are right now?

The women here probably have...

Do you realize just how condescending and sexist this statement is? I think I might be offended. :poke: :D

For the record, I do the lion's share of the grocery shopping in my house, as well as the cooking. I also do the laundry. My wife loves the arrangement.

Oh...and yes, I have noticed a rise in food prices, but it hasn't been such a jump that it has set off alarms.

Trigg
04-14-2008, 02:52 PM
Yes, I've noticed the prices are higher for staples, sales are still available for junk and conveniance foods though.

Time to start shopping at discount stores or start a garden.

mundame
04-14-2008, 02:54 PM
For the record, I do the lion's share of the grocery shopping in my house, as well as the cooking. I also do the laundry. My wife loves the arrangement.

I hope you dust, too. Dusting is very important and most men don't do enough of it.......

I asked my husband once if he dusted when he was living alone, and he said, "Do you think I'm GAY???!"
http://macg.net/emoticons/smileevil.gif

Trigg
04-14-2008, 03:03 PM
I hope you dust, too. Dusting is very important and most men don't do enough of it.......

I asked my husband once if he dusted when he was living alone, and he said, "Do you think I'm GAY???!"
http://macg.net/emoticons/smileevil.gif

If posts that he dusts, I'm gonna steal him away!:laugh2:

That has to be my least favorite part of housework.

j/k

hjmick
04-14-2008, 03:13 PM
I have been known to dust, perhaps not as often as one might think is necessary, but it happens. I vacuum as well. And make the bed.

Most of this comes from having been a latch key kid, some of it from living alone for a few years after my divorce. I did it all myself for many years, not to do it seems...lazy.

glockmail
04-14-2008, 03:21 PM
Yes, I've noticed the prices are higher for staples, sales are still available for junk and conveniance foods though.

Time to start shopping at discount stores or start a garden. I do about 2/3 of the food shopping. And you're right, those two methods will help to reduce food prices for all of us.

mundame
04-14-2008, 04:01 PM
If posts that he dusts, I'm gonna steal him away!:laugh2:

That has to be my least favorite part of housework.

j/k

Definitely. I'd rather do anything else. http://bestsmileys.com/cleaning/4.gif http://wade.hu/smiley/kategoriak/h%E1zimunka/smilie_buegeln.gif

04-14-2008, 04:25 PM
This is an artificial food shortage. We dont have to have a food shortage. but apparently manufacturing ethanol, which takes more enegery to make than it replaces, so we can "feel" like we have done something with the oil crisis. But the fact is all we have to is actually let the free market work and allow companies to drill for oil and build refineries and stop subsidizing ethanol when we already know it doesnt fix anything. And we wouldnt have a food scarcity then.

5stringJeff
04-16-2008, 09:11 PM
Also, most commodities are traded in dollars, and the dollar is weakening; therefore, it takes more dollars to buy the same amount of commodities, so prices rise.

Said1
04-16-2008, 09:24 PM
Malthus never made a specific prediction about the future, just an evolutionary social theory. Neo-Malthus are more interesting. They combine the links between population, economics and now, political change/uprisings to show how the different factors interac - political ideology as a 'result' of demographics - or something like that.

mundame
04-16-2008, 09:38 PM
Malthus never made a specific prediction about the future, just an evolutionary social theory. Neo-Malthus are more interesting. They combine the links between population, economics and now, political change/uprisings to show how the different factors interac - political ideology as a 'result' of demographics - or something like that.

That's interesting --- I never heard of neo-Malthusians. Maybe like the big immigrations from poor areas of the world to rich areas promoting the Muslim attempts to takeover European areas, and such as that.

Said1
04-17-2008, 07:06 AM
That's interesting --- I never heard of neo-Malthusians. Maybe like the big immigrations from poor areas of the world to rich areas promoting the Muslim attempts to takeover European areas, and such as that.

Generally, it's kind of like a step forward. The Russian Revolution is a good example, although I don't know how forward many would liken it to be! :laugh2: