PDA

View Full Version : Rangel slams Mississippi

Classact
04-15-2008, 07:39 AM
With a losing team like this how can Republicans go wrong?

To that end, he sketched out an expansive federal agenda: Teaming up with Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg on gun control, passing new tax incentives for urban job programs, and redirecting federal money to New York in return for the outsize tax collections that the federal government makes here.

“Mississippi gets more than their fair share back in federal money, but who the hell wants to live in Mississippi?” Mr. Rangel said.

red states rule
04-15-2008, 07:42 AM
With a losing team like this how can Republicans go wrong?

When you politcal opponent is committing suicide, just step back and let them continue

I hope more liberals keep shooting off their mouths

retiredman
04-15-2008, 08:41 AM
yeah....Mississippi was really competitive for the democrats right up until Charlie said that! [/sarcasm off]:lol:

red states rule
04-15-2008, 08:46 AM
yeah....Mississippi was really competitive for the democrats right up until Charlie said that! [/sarcasm off]:lol:

More from the tolerant left that wants to reach out to all Americans

retiredman
04-15-2008, 08:49 AM
we know we can't get EVERYbody. Some places are just natually republican... and, coincidentally, no places that most sane folks would care to live! Mississippi being one of them!

red states rule
04-15-2008, 08:52 AM
we know we can't get EVERYbody. Some places are just natually republican... and, coincidentally, no places that most sane folks would care to live! Mississippi being one of them!

So slime an entire state?

This is a perfect example on how Dems will unite the nation.

retiredman
04-15-2008, 09:03 AM
So slime an entire state?

This is a perfect example on how Dems will unite the nation.

Like I said, we know we can't get EVERYbody.

BTW...Have you figured out who you will vote for for President yet?

red states rule
04-15-2008, 09:11 AM

So by smearing an entire state is your plan to at least try to win them over? Then you libs play the race card when the OSuth goes red in elections

Hillary in 10 days

My vote is still none of the above in November

Hobbit
04-15-2008, 09:25 AM

So when you don't think you can win a state, you think it's somehow ok to simply slime them to no end? How childish.

red states rule
04-15-2008, 09:31 AM
So when you don't think you can win a state, you think it's somehow ok to simply slime them to no end? How childish.

It's the liberal way of winning friends and influencing people

Agree with us or you are scum

retiredman
04-15-2008, 09:39 AM

I think if Charlie Rangel wants to make an offhanded remark about Mississippi, it really doesn't bother me one way or the other. No more so than if some southern republican wants to make some comment about New England.

I don't think that my attitude about that is childish....just more tolerant, perhaps, and one with a more mature perspective, i.e. are things such as this really of any great importance to the overarching political debate in which our country ought to be engaged?

Classact
04-15-2008, 09:53 AM
It's the liberal way of winning friends and influencing people

Agree with us or you are scum
I think Obama cleared that up in SF a few days ago...you're either with me or you are a bigot, bible thumping gun toting moron...

red states rule
04-15-2008, 09:58 AM
I think Obama cleared that up in SF a few days ago...you're either with me or you are a bigot, bible thumping gun toting moron...

The more the Obama's open their mouth the deeper they sink. I am glad they are being honest and are openly showing their contempt for people they consider lower on the social scale then they are

hjmick
04-15-2008, 10:01 AM
Well, I've been to New England (it's like old England but has that New England smell) and I've been to Mississippi. I'd consider living in Mississippi long before I'd consider living in New England, I don't care what Rangel says.

04-15-2008, 10:06 AM
didnt Rangel insult Mississippi before? it sounds almost exactly like the same quote we discussed almost a year ago.

retiredman
04-15-2008, 10:11 AM
didnt Rangel insult Mississippi before? it sounds almost exactly like the same quote we discussed almost a year ago.

I think it is....just reposted as if it were new.... spam.

red states rule
04-15-2008, 10:23 AM
I think it is....just reposted as if it were new.... spam.

Don't worry. It will not be the last time a blue nosed liberal insults a southern state

retiredman
04-15-2008, 10:37 AM
Don't worry. It will not be the last time a blue nosed liberal insults a southern state

I am sure that you'll post the same Rangel comment again in another few months and claim it's new. that is your MO.
:laugh2:

Hobbit
04-15-2008, 10:37 AM
I think if Charlie Rangel wants to make an offhanded remark about Mississippi, it really doesn't bother me one way or the other. No more so than if some southern republican wants to make some comment about New England.

I don't think that my attitude about that is childish....just more tolerant, perhaps, and one with a more mature perspective, i.e. are things such as this really of any great importance to the overarching political debate in which our country ought to be engaged?

That's not mature, it's just weak. If a southern politician makes remarks about how horrible New England is, I'd think it was just as childish and call him out on it. I wouldn't live in New England on a dare, but that's because it doesn't suit me very well. It's too cold, the food isn't what I'd prefer, and the government is too liberal, but if that's your cup of tea, then go for it. To stand by and watch somebody who calls himself a national leader insult an entire state and then call it tolerance is either wussy or disingenuous.

Classact
04-15-2008, 11:09 AM
My bad old issue:lame2:

red states rule
04-15-2008, 11:14 AM
My bad old issue:lame2:

It still shows what libs realy think of southern and rural voters

retiredman
04-15-2008, 11:15 AM
That's not mature, it's just weak. If a southern politician makes remarks about how horrible New England is, I'd think it was just as childish and call him out on it. I wouldn't live in New England on a dare, but that's because it doesn't suit me very well. It's too cold, the food isn't what I'd prefer, and the government is too liberal, but if that's your cup of tea, then go for it. To stand by and watch somebody who calls himself a national leader insult an entire state and then call it tolerance is either wussy or disingenuous.

If some southern republican politician makes a remark about New England, I consider the source and laugh about it. ANd I ma not calling Rangel's remarks "tolerance"...I am suggesting that it is nothing I worry about or would worry about if it came at me from the other side. It is like massachusetts politicians saying "yankees suck".... it really is not critical to our national political debate.

Hobbit
04-15-2008, 11:26 AM
If some southern republican politician makes a remark about New England, I consider the source and laugh about it. ANd I ma not calling Rangel's remarks "tolerance"...I am suggesting that it is nothing I worry about or would worry about if it came at me from the other side. It is like massachusetts politicians saying "yankees suck".... it really is not critical to our national political debate.

Making fun of sports teams is one thing. I can respect that. However, this remark is just another indicator of the Washington insider culture that uses the term 'flyover country.' It's condescending, and giving such politicians a pass isn't tolerance, it's spinelessness, compliance, or ignorance.

retiredman
04-15-2008, 11:31 AM
Making fun of sports teams is one thing. I can respect that. However, this remark is just another indicator of the Washington insider culture that uses the term 'flyover country.' It's condescending, and giving such politicians a pass isn't tolerance, it's spinelessness, compliance, or ignorance.

that is your opinion. thanks for sharing.

Rangel represents Harlem. He can say whatever the hell he wants about Mississippi. I can imagine that the VAST majority of mississippi politicians, if asked, would say "who would want to live in HARLEM? same thing. mountain out of a mole hill... a diversion from the discussions that really matter. IMHO.

Hobbit
04-15-2008, 11:35 AM
that is your opinion. thanks for sharing.

Rangel represents Harlem. He can say whatever the hell he wants about Mississippi. I can imagine that the VAST majority of mississippi politicians, if asked, would say "who would want to live in HARLEM? same thing. mountain out of a mole hill... a diversion from the discussions that really matter. IMHO.

I think the fact that most politicians don't care about anybody who isn't voting for them is definitely worth discussing. That's why pork is so out of control.

retiredman
04-15-2008, 11:37 AM
I think the fact that most politicians don't care about anybody who isn't voting for them is definitely worth discussing. That's why pork is so out of control.

should the guy running for mayor of Portland Maine care about the citizens of Biloxi, Mississippi?

Abbey Marie
04-15-2008, 11:39 AM
should the guy running for mayor of Portland Maine care about the citizens of Biloxi, Mississippi?

Well, if he has wisdom and compassion, yes. ;)

red states rule
04-15-2008, 11:41 AM
Well, if he has wisdom and compassion, yes. ;)

Well, that rules out most liberals like Charlie Rangel

Hobbit
04-15-2008, 11:47 AM

The mayor of Portland, Maine doesn't routinely vote on bills that affect Biloxi, MS. The senators and representative to congress representing Portland, ME better care about Biloxi, MS, because trampling other states for your own interests is both immoral and bad policy.

retiredman
04-15-2008, 11:52 AM
The mayor of Portland, Maine doesn't routinely vote on bills that affect Biloxi, MS. The senators and representative to congress representing Portland, ME better care about Biloxi, MS, because trampling other states for your own interests is both immoral and bad policy.

one can "care" about the people of Mississippi while simultaneously wondering aloud why anyone would want to live there.:laugh2:

Abbey Marie
04-15-2008, 11:55 AM
one can "care" about the people of Mississippi while simultaneously wondering aloud why anyone would want to live there.:laugh2:

Says the guy who is forsaking all 50 states to move to corrupt Mexico. Isn't that kind of like swimming towards the Titanic?

retiredman
04-15-2008, 12:02 PM
Says the guy who is forsaking all 50 states to move to corrupt Mexico. Isn't that kind of like swimming towards the Titanic?

I am not moving to Mexico for the corruption. I am moving there for the climate, the quality and cost of healthcare, the low cost of living and even lower cost of really wonderful real estate, and most importantly, for the maximization of happiness in my relationship with my wife.

Abbey Marie
04-15-2008, 12:04 PM
I am not moving to Mexico for the corruption. I am moving there for the climate, the quality and cost of healthcare, the low cost of living and even lower cost of really wonderful real estate, and most importantly, for the maximization of happiness in my relationship with my wife.

Okay, now I have to ask, why does your wife needs to live outside the US to be happy?

You don't have to move there for the corruption- it's there anyway.

red states rule
04-15-2008, 12:06 PM
Okay, now I have to ask, why does your wife needs to live outside the US to be happy?

Maybe she shares the same view of America as Ms Obama does

retiredman
04-15-2008, 01:13 PM
Maybe she shares the same view of America as Ms Obama does

I got a real good idea: why don't you just forever shut the fuck up about my wife...

retiredman
04-15-2008, 01:18 PM

we want to retire and live really well and in a really nice climate and have really great healthcare....That is Mexico.

and we are excited about the adventure of it. My wife has the following Mark Twain quote on the wall of our kitchen:

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did so. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

A retirement community in Florida is where people go to die. We want to go someplace to "live". Mexico will be an adventure, a chance to live in a foreign culture that is a short hop away from our own.

Trigg
04-15-2008, 01:20 PM
we want to retire and live really well and in a really nice climate and have really great healthcare....That is Mexico.

and we are excited about the adventure of it. My wife has the following Mark Twain quote on the wall of our kitchen:

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did so. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

A retirement community in Florida is where people go to die. We want to go someplace to "live". Mexico will be an adventure, a chance to live in a foreign culture that is a short hop away from our own.

Have you spent an entire summer down there????? If not you may want to visit Mexico in July or August to get a sense of how oppressive the heat can be.

retiredman
04-15-2008, 01:23 PM
Have you spent an entire summer down there????? If not you may want to visit Mexico in July or August to get a sense of how oppressive the heat can be.

not in the mountains it's not. Go check the weather ranges in San Miguel or Xalapa.

I have been in Mexico in the heat of summer many times. It is not as hot as the Philippines and I LOVED that!

theHawk
04-15-2008, 01:50 PM

Good riddance.

Do us a favor, recommend it to all your liberal friends.

red states rule
04-15-2008, 02:27 PM
Good riddance.

Do us a favor, recommend it to all your liberal friends.

Need a ride to the airport?

One way air fare for some of your liberal friends?

Abbey Marie
04-15-2008, 03:40 PM
Conversely, we may retire in Maine.

red states rule
04-15-2008, 03:41 PM
Conversely, we may retire in Maine.

That is a good thing

A few liberals leave, and a few conservatives take their place