PDA

View Full Version : Just Had a 3.1 Magnitude Earthquake Here...

Pale Rider
04-15-2008, 11:27 AM
http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/recenteqs/Maps/120-40.html .... was sitting here at the computer and got shook pretty good in my chair. There have been tremors following it, but I can't say I've felt those. Pretty weird... not a natural feeling to feel the ground underneath you moving. It's not supposed to move. Very weird. http://www.kkoh.com/Article.asp?id=636861&spid=18042

And I've been hearing that California is going to have "the big one" real soon.

Forecast: Big quake likely in California

Scientists predict almost certain risk of strong earthquake by 2037

updated 1:09 p.m. PT, Mon., April. 14, 2008
LOS ANGELES - California faces an almost certain risk of being rocked by a strong earthquake by 2037, scientists said Monday in the first statewide temblor forecast.

New calculations reveal there is a 99.7 percent chance a magnitude 6.7 quake or larger will strike in the next 30 years. The odds of such an event are higher in Southern California than Northern California, 97 percent versus 93 percent.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24113287/

Abbey Marie
04-15-2008, 11:30 AM
Pale, it's a sign that it's time for that move to Wisconsin.

Pale Rider
04-15-2008, 11:36 AM
Pale, it's a sign that it's time for that move to Wisconsin.

Well... there's been a change of plans there... I just can't force myself to leave the mountains, so I'm back to moving up to Montana.

Yeah the shaking didn't last long, but it's a very strange sensation to feel the ground moving. Kind of scary actually. I see it's been updated to a magnitude 3.4 quake now.

Abbey Marie
04-15-2008, 11:46 AM
Well... there's been a change of plans there... I just can't force myself to leave the mountains, so I'm back to moving up to Montana.

Yeah the shaking didn't last long, but it's a very strange sensation to feel the ground moving. Kind of scary actually. I see it's been updated to a magnitude 3.4 quake now.

I hear that Montana is a fine state. When do you think you'll go?

Pale Rider
04-15-2008, 11:53 AM
I hear that Montana is a fine state. When do you think you'll go?

Plan to be up there this year. My sister and her family live up there, and I've lived up there twice before already. My nephew said that he's seen lots of new for sale signs in Ennis where I'd like to move. I'm also in the process of checking into foreclosures. If I can't find a suitable house in Ennis, then either Belgrade or Bozeman. It's all real close. My nephew said they could use some help around the ranch, and they could pay me in cash. Sounds like a lot of fun to me. I love everything about a working ranch.

Abbey Marie
04-15-2008, 11:59 AM
Plan to be up there this year. My sister and her family live up there, and I've lived up there twice before already. My nephew said that he's seen lots of new for sale signs in Ennis where I'd like to move. I'm also in the process of checking into foreclosures. If I can't find a suitable house in Ennis, then either Belgrade or Bozeman. It's all real close. My nephew said they could use some help around the ranch, and they could pay me in cash. Sounds like a lot of fun to me. I love everything about a working ranch.

From what I know of you after about three years on these boards, it sounds like a better fit. Just watch out for all thoss lib Hollywood folks. :)

hjmick
04-15-2008, 12:01 PM
Missoula for me, if I decide on Montana.

Little-Acorn
04-15-2008, 12:02 PM
I see it's been updated to a magnitude 3.4 quake now.

That's not an earthquake, it's a hiccup.

How long have you lived out West?

hjmick
04-15-2008, 12:03 PM

LOL...no shit!

Pale Rider
04-15-2008, 12:04 PM
From what I know of you after about three years on these boards, it sounds like a better fit. Just watch out for all thoss lib Hollywood folks. :)

Funny you should mention the hollyweird crowd Abbey. There's a lot of multi million dollar homes for sale up in Montana. The Cullyfornia crowd sells out their homes there and go up to Montana and build these massive, opulent, spacial homes, stay in them a couple years, and then find out they can't take the winters and the isolation, so they sell out. So it's easier to find a house selling for 1.4 million up there than it is $200K.

Pale Rider
04-15-2008, 12:08 PM

Thirteen plus years in all. Eight in Nevada, three in Arizona, and two in Montana.

Had one hit Elko too this morning. Nevada is just rockin' and rollin' today.... http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/recenteqs/Quakes/nn00241165.html
Nevada is the third most seismic state in the United States.

Abbey Marie
04-15-2008, 12:09 PM
Funny you should mention the hollyweird crowd Abbey. There's a lot of multi million dollar homes for sale up in Montana. The Cullyfornia crowd sells out their homes there and go up to Montana and build these massive, opulent, spacial homes, stay in them a couple years, and then find out they can't take the winters and the isolation, so they sell out. So it's easier to find a house selling for 1.4 million up there than it is $200K.

If you buy one of those manses, we can have a bodacious DP partay!

Pale Rider
04-15-2008, 12:15 PM

Never know what may come about looking at foreclosures. But no matter what, I'm going to buy something with land. At least an acre. 8 or 10 would be better... :D

But I'd host a DP party, for a select few that is.

Abbey Marie
04-15-2008, 12:19 PM
Never know what may come about looking at foreclosures. But no matter what, I'm going to buy something with land. At least an acre. 8 or 10 would be better... :D

But I'd host a DP party, for a select few that is.

:salute:

I'd have acres if I could. I LOVE privacy.

Classact
04-15-2008, 12:23 PM
Quick buy some foothills land so you will have a corner on ocean front property.

Pale Rider
04-15-2008, 12:31 PM
:salute:

I'd have acres if I could. I LOVE privacy.

Yup... that's the idea. If I wanted to get drunk, run outside and take laps around my house buck naked shooting my pistol in the air, I don't want to bother anybody... :laugh:

Abbey Marie
04-15-2008, 12:34 PM
Yup... that's the idea. If I wanted to get drunk, run outside and take laps around my house buck naked shooting my pistol in the air, I don't want to bother anybody... :laugh:

:laugh2: See, you're just looking out for others' feelings, Pale.

hjmick
04-15-2008, 12:43 PM

Yeah, I hear you Pale. My neighbors tend to complain when I do this.

Trigg
04-15-2008, 01:31 PM

Wow, can you even imagine a party planed by Pale??? It'd take a month for everyone to recover. :laugh2::cheers2:

Pale Rider
04-15-2008, 01:37 PM
:laugh2: See, you're just looking out for others' feelings, Pale.
Never thought of it that way... I'm nicer than I give myself credit for... :laugh:

Yeah, I hear you Pale. My neighbors tend to complain when I do this.
..... :lol: ...... :clap:

Wow, can you even imagine a party planed by Pale??? It'd take a month for everyone to recover. :laugh2::cheers2:
Oh I'd guarantee... a good time would be had by one and all... :cheers2: ... :D

manu1959
04-15-2008, 01:53 PM

for those that live.............

jackass
04-15-2008, 04:56 PM
Pale if you need help moving, let me know!! :D

Always wanted to go to Montana. I always tell my wife I want to retire there, but I think she knows Im full of it. Its too far from the ocean for me.

gabosaurus
04-15-2008, 05:08 PM
Oh come on Pale. Anything below 5.0 is not worth mentioning.

We had a few minor quakes last week. One was centered a few miles from my house. Think it was a 3.7 or 3.8. Didn't really notice it.

Pale Rider
04-15-2008, 06:43 PM
Oh come on Pale. Anything below 5.0 is not worth mentioning.

We had a few minor quakes last week. One was centered a few miles from my house. Think it was a 3.7 or 3.8. Didn't really notice it.

Yeah I know... you Kullyfornia, as Aahnold would say, folks are quake hardened. Wouldn't trade places with ya for anything though Gab. You guys are in for a BIG one. Best of luck with that, and hope you live through it.

hjmick
04-15-2008, 07:34 PM
Yeah I know... you Kullyfornia, as Aahnold would say, folks are quake hardened. Wouldn't trade places with ya for anything though Gab. You guys are in for a BIG one. Best of luck with that, and hope you live through it.

I was in Canoga Park for the '94 Northridge quake, very cool. I have always enjoyed the shaking, though I do not look forward to "the big one." With any luck the Mrs. and I will be gone before it hits. Just two more years...

manu1959
04-15-2008, 08:08 PM

lived through two big ones.....loma prieta and northridge......if there is a really big one.....won't care .... actually the worst one was a 5. something on the 24th floor of embarcadero 4 while on the can......

glockmail
04-15-2008, 08:11 PM
lived through two big ones.....loma prieta and northridge......if there is a really big one.....won't care .... actually the worst one was a 5. something on the 24th floor of embarcadero 4 while on the can......
If you happen to be on the 24th floor the can would be a good place to be. For me, anyway, as I would be shitting my pants otherwise. :lol:

gabosaurus
04-15-2008, 08:45 PM
I am not worried about earthquakes. It's a risk you accept when you live in Southern California.
Some areas are threatened by hurricanes, tornadoes, snowstorms and floods.

Pale Rider
04-15-2008, 09:46 PM
I am not worried about earthquakes. It's a risk you accept when you live in Southern California.
Some areas are threatened by hurricanes, tornadoes, snowstorms and floods.

Tectonics tells us that someday Cal won't even be there anymore. It'll be in the ocean. I'd be willing to bet that's after you're dead and gone. Everywhere has it's pitfalls. Tornado, earthquake... which is worse. You can die in both real quick.

Pale Rider
04-15-2008, 09:49 PM

My brother in law was on the can up in Montana when the big one hit Yellowstone park in '64, and part of a mountain slide down and buried a whole bunch of campers. Brother in law said toilet water splashed up out of the bowl and washed his hinnie like a Bidea.... or however you spell it... :laugh:

Pale Rider
04-24-2008, 06:18 PM
Well, they're getting bigger. We just had a 3.8, which was a rolling kind of feeling. I thought my oil lamp was going to fall off my speaker. The oil in it was splashing around pretty good. Then that was followed real close by a 4.1 magnitude, which was more a shaking. Made everything on the walls and in the kitchen cabinets rattle. I don't know what's going... but we're getting quakes real frequent, like something big is brewing.... http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/recenteqs/Maps/120-40_full.html

jackass
04-24-2008, 06:39 PM
I hope not this:

http://www.solcomhouse.com/yellowstone.htm

Gaffer
04-24-2008, 06:56 PM
Last week there were tremors off the Oregon coast that scientists could not pinpoint. That had them worried. It was an area not known for tremors. Now there seems to be a lot of quakes in areas that don't usually have quakes. Something big is moving down there. Makes you go hmmmm.

Pale Rider
04-24-2008, 07:28 PM
I hope not this:

http://www.solcomhouse.com/yellowstone.htm
Yeah that gives me pause to wonder if moving up to Montana is the right thing to do, because the area I want to go to is real near that... Ennis, MT.

Last week there were tremors off the Oregon coast that scientists could not pinpoint. That had them worried. It was an area not known for tremors. Now there seems to be a lot of quakes in areas that don't usually have quakes. Something big is moving down there. Makes you go hmmmm.
They updated the recent quakes here to a 4.1, a 3.0, a 1.8, and then a 4.2 in real quick succession. People around here are starting to get a little spooked. We've been getting rocked a LOT lately, and it seems to be getting worse. http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/recenteqs/Maps/120-40_full.html

manu1959
04-24-2008, 07:55 PM
Yeah that gives me pause to wonder if moving up to Montana is the right thing to do, because the area I want to go to is real near that... Ennis, MT.

They updated the recent quakes here to a 4.1, a 3.0, a 1.8, and then a 4.2 in real quick succession. People around here are starting to get a little spooked. We've been getting rocked a LOT lately, and it seems to be getting worse. http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/recenteqs/Maps/120-40_full.html

too much sin in reno........:laugh2:

Pale Rider
04-24-2008, 08:07 PM
Just had another real hard jolt... hasn't registered yet on the USGS website, but there's been over 40 tremors in the last few hours. Not good...

glockmail
04-24-2008, 08:20 PM
Sounds like she's about to blow....:blowup:

manu1959
04-24-2008, 08:28 PM
Just had another real hard jolt... hasn't registered yet on the USGS website, but there's been over 40 tremors in the last few hours. Not good...

if i was you i would run down to the bunny ranch and ride this one out............

Trinity
04-24-2008, 08:35 PM
Tectonics tells us that someday Cal won't even be there anymore. It'll be in the ocean. I'd be willing to bet that's after you're dead and gone. Everywhere has it's pitfalls. Tornado, earthquake... which is worse. You can die in both real quick.

I was born in California in shhhh don't tell 1970 and I have been hearing that my whole life. I am still waiting for it though.:coffee:

Pale Rider
04-24-2008, 08:47 PM
if i was you i would run down to the bunny ranch and ride this one out............

If I had your money, I would.

Pale Rider
04-24-2008, 09:02 PM
I was born in California in shhhh don't tell 1970 and I have been hearing that my whole life. I am still waiting for it though.:coffee:

1970!!! ......... :laugh:

They're saying that "the big one" is going to hit California, "for sure," within the next 25 years. They said on the local news here that what we're experiencing is a "slip fault" moving. That energy could very easily be being transferred into the California, since we're like ten miles from the border.

Gaffer
04-24-2008, 09:02 PM
Day after day

more people come to LA

shhh don't you tell anybody

the whole place slippin away

Where can we go

when there's no san diego

shhh better get ready

to tie up your boat Idaho

glockmail
04-25-2008, 07:26 AM
1970!!! ......... :laugh:

She's a young'in.:laugh2:

Pale Rider
04-25-2008, 01:17 PM
She's a young'in.:laugh2:
That's what I was thinking... try 1955.

Got jolted awake last night at about a quarter to two with another 3.2 magnitude. Over ONE HUNDRED registered earth quakes in the last twenty four hours. Some of the most active seismic activity in the united states. People around here getting a little rattled... literally.

glockmail
04-25-2008, 02:13 PM
That's what I was thinking... try 1955.

Got jolted awake last night at about a quarter to two with another 3.2 magnitude. Over ONE HUNDRED registered earth quakes in the last twenty four hours. Some of the most active seismic activity in the united states. People around here getting a little rattled... literally. Better lots of smallin's than one biggin'.

Pale Rider
04-25-2008, 03:23 PM
Better lots of smallin's than one biggin'.

No doubt, since earth quake insurance is separate, and I don't have any. It's also a 15% deductible. Not very good. But the experts have said we could have a 6.0 magnitude in the next minute, or not at all. They don't know. They can't explain the multitudes of quakes we're having. Real encouraging to hear "we don't know" from the "experts." I just hope I'm otta here before a 6.0 or bigger hits here. Shit WILL get broken in one that big.

Abbey Marie
04-25-2008, 03:24 PM
Stay safe, Pale.

How's your cat doing through all of this?

Dilloduck
04-25-2008, 04:02 PM
No doubt, since earth quake insurance is separate, and I don't have any. It's also a 15% deductible. Not very good. But the experts have said we could have a 6.0 magnitude in the next minute, or not at all. They don't know. They can't explain the multitudes of quakes we're having. Real encouraging to hear "we don't know" from the "experts." I just hope I'm otta here before a 6.0 or bigger hits here. Shit WILL get broken in one that big.

Hold on a sec----do you mean to tell me I can't trust scientists to know everything ? :laugh2:

Pale Rider
04-25-2008, 04:10 PM
Stay safe, Pale.

How's your cat doing through all of this?

Thankfully he doesn't seem to be too freaked out by it. When it starts shaking, he looks at me like, "what the hell is that?"

They said on the morning news that most all of the bigger, newer buildings in town are built to withstand a major earth quake, but, they said that the 4.1 and the 4.2 made them "sway." My apartment didn't even give out a creek. They must be pretty sturdy.... thank God. I did move some stuff in the house though that looked kind of precarious from falling.

Gaffer
04-25-2008, 08:12 PM
Keep an eye on the cat. If he suddenly starts freaking out for no apparent reason, grab something solid and hold on.

glockmail
04-25-2008, 08:52 PM
Keep an eye on the cat. If he suddenly starts freaking out for no apparent reason, grab something solid and hold on. I'm not sure why I find this so funny. :lol:

Pale Rider
04-25-2008, 09:16 PM
Just got hit with another 3.6 magnitude. The frequency of quakes is going up instead of down, and the "experts" are baffled. We very well could be headed for the BIG ONE. There's been over 140 tremors in the last two days. It's getting insane.

http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/recenteqs/Maps/120-40_full.html

Gaffer
04-25-2008, 09:33 PM
Just got hit with another 3.6 magnitude. The frequency of quakes is going up instead of down, and the "experts" are baffled. We very well could be headed for the BIG ONE. There's been over 140 tremors in the last two days. It's getting insane.

Keep us informed Pale. Have they pin pointed the epicenter yet. Is it all in one spot or scattered points?

Pale Rider
04-25-2008, 11:02 PM
Keep us informed Pale. Have they pin pointed the epicenter yet. Is it all in one spot or scattered points?

Check out the link Gaf. All of the quakes are coming from a real small spot, and it's real close to me. Can't imagine what's going on down there.

Here's a good page... http://www.seismo.unr.edu/feature/2008/mogul.html

Pale Rider
04-26-2008, 02:16 AM
Well we just got ROCKED by a 4.9! Some small stuff fell off my book shelf, pictures were rattling on the walls, I WATCHED my TV move around on it's stand, the building was creeking... I'll tell ya... I'm getting real sick of this shit, and the after shocks just keep coming as I'm sitting here typing this, I can feel them. And all the experts can say is, this is so unusual, because usually quakes have one big initial event and then they taper off. This shit is doing just the opposite. It's GROWING instead of getting smaller. I just hope it doesn't GROW anymore. This REALLY getting OLD! If they get any bigger, shit WILL get fucked up. I'm sure over in Verdi shit already has.

Pale Rider
04-26-2008, 03:04 AM
I do believe I'm going to get out of here for a couple days and see how this is going to play out... ELSE WHERE!

FUCK THIS!

Pale Rider
04-26-2008, 06:13 AM
Well we finally hit Fox News....

4.7 quake rocks Reno as area's seismic activity continues

Saturday, April 26, 2008

By SCOTT SONNER, Associated Press Writer

E-Mail Print Share:

RENO, Nev. — Another earthquake struck the Reno area, dumping cans off shelves, knocking pictures off walls and sending rocks off hillsides of the eastern front of the Sierra Nevada.

There were no immediate reports early Saturday of injuries or major property damage from the quake late Friday.

The U.S. Geological Survey reported the 4.7 magnitude temblor hit at 11:40 p.m. and was centered six miles west of Reno near Mogul, where a swarm of more than 100 quakes rattled the area on Thursday. The biggest of those was a 4.2 event.

A 3.5 aftershock followed at 12:29 a.m. Saturday, followed by at least 30 smaller ones, the USGS said.

The initial quake was felt 30 miles north in Portola, Calif., and at least 45 miles south near Stateline, Nev., on Lake Tahoe's south shore.

The temblor cracked walls in northwest Reno, broke lawn watering lines and damaged a wooden flume built along the Truckee River in the late 1800s to carry lumber from Lake Tahoe down the mountain to Reno. Emergency crews responded to the flume break near Mogul but there were no immediate reports of flooding.

It was the strongest quake to shake the city since hundreds of much smaller events have been recorded in the area since the end of February.

http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2008Apr26/0,4670,RenoEarthquake,00.html

Gaffer
04-26-2008, 06:42 AM
Hundreds of quakes in a short period of time, geologists baffled, and they are just now getting around to reporting it. Whenever their talking heads sit down to take a breather they throw in a little news.

Pale Rider
04-26-2008, 06:46 AM
Hundreds of quakes in a short period of time, geologists baffled, and they are just now getting around to reporting it. Whenever their talking heads sit down to take a breather they throw in a little news.

Ain't that the truth. There's been probably a hundred small tremors since that 4.7. I can't imagine what the hell is going on. Why all this energy isn't being transmitted to another area. How this much movement can happen in such a small amount of time all seemingly one right on top of the other. I guess that's what's got the "experts" scratching their heads too. Check it out... how many there's been in the last twenty four hours... it's mind boggling...

Gaffer
04-26-2008, 07:53 AM
Ain't that the truth. There's been probably a hundred small tremors since that 4.7. I can't imagine what the hell is going on. Why all this energy isn't being transmitted to another area. How this much movement can happen in such a small amount of time all seemingly one right on top of the other. I guess that's what's got the "experts" scratching their heads too. Check it out... how many there's been in the last twenty four hours... it's mind boggling...

I have been looking at your links and it really is mind boggling. The news should be all over this. Especially in an area where earth quake activity is rare. Move breakable items off of shelves and if you feel the shaking start stand in a doorway. Never run outside. In big quakes power lines snap. That's really the only advice there is for earthquakes. Maybe stock up on food and water, which I believe you already do.

Dilloduck
04-26-2008, 07:57 AM
I have been looking at your links and it really is mind boggling. The news should be all over this. Especially in an area where earth quake activity is rare. Move breakable items off of shelves and if you feel the shaking start stand in a doorway. Never run outside. In big quakes power lines snap. That's really the only advice there is for earthquakes. Maybe stock up on food and water, which I believe you already do.

If there's a quake, I'm running outside---in a heartbeat.

Pale Rider
04-26-2008, 08:19 AM

I have made preparations, because I don't believe at all that this thing is over. There's too much going on still, and if the pattern it's starting to have stays true, we're in for another one real soon here, anytime. I just hope it's smaller, because if it's bigger, shit is going to get fucked up. Stuff was already shock up real good. I've taken down pictures, filled water jugs, have dry goods, batteries, oil for lamps, etc., etc., and last but not least, my pistol, loaded, on my belt. This shit is for the birds. It's nothing I'd ever want anyone to have to go through. Well... no one has. What's going on here has never been seen before.

Gaffer
04-26-2008, 08:36 AM

That's how people get killed. Things fall on them. If it's a heavy shaker you won't move far.

Unless you get out away from any houses, trees and power lines your safer in a doorway. Even if a house falls down the doorway keep debris from falling directly on your head. The two biggest dangers in an earthquake are power lines coming down and gas lines rupturing.

glockmail
04-26-2008, 08:57 AM
I have made preparations, because I don't believe at all that this thing is over. There's too much going on still, and if the pattern it's starting to have stays true, we're in for another one real soon here, anytime. I just hope it's smaller, because if it's bigger, shit is going to get fucked up. Stuff was already shock up real good. I've taken down pictures, filled water jugs, have dry goods, batteries, oil for lamps, etc., etc., and last but not least, my pistol, loaded, on my belt. This shit is for the birds. It's nothing I'd ever want anyone to have to go through. Well... no one has. What's going on here has never been seen before. Put all your shit on the floor, grab the cat and take a road trip man. Vacation time.

Pale Rider
04-26-2008, 09:03 AM
Put all your shit on the floor, grab the cat and take a road trip man. Vacation time.

That's what I'm seriously contemplating.... right now.

Gaffer
04-26-2008, 09:26 AM
You could be looking at becoming the owner of beach front property.

glockmail
04-26-2008, 10:01 AM
That's what I'm seriously contemplating.... right now. What's holding you back?

Pale Rider
04-26-2008, 12:44 PM
Well... it appears that the worst of it is over... maybe. As the trend was going, we should have gotten another real good jolt around 8:00 AM, but it was just a few small ones, and, to top that off, it looks like they're starting to move to the north a mile or two further... good for me... I'm not sitting right on top of it anymore. Fuck... I'm so tired at this point I don't give a fuck... I'm going to try and sleep. If we're going to get a great big one, let 'er rip. My 56" TV is sitting on the floor, my surround sound speakers are off their pedestals, all the bigger pictures are off the walls, I have a bag packed and sitting next to the door... but I'm too tired to try and drive anywhere. I'm going to sleep... fuck it.

Dilloduck
04-26-2008, 02:29 PM
That's how people get killed. Things fall on them. If it's a heavy shaker you won't move far.

Unless you get out away from any houses, trees and power lines your safer in a doorway. Even if a house falls down the doorway keep debris from falling directly on your head. The two biggest dangers in an earthquake are power lines coming down and gas lines rupturing.

I don't know about Ohio but we still have some wide open spaces we can get to. I'll take my chances out in the open thank you very much.

hjmick
04-26-2008, 02:35 PM

Yeah, LOL, those Austin quakes are nothing to laugh at. :laugh2:

Pale Rider
04-26-2008, 06:26 PM
I don't know about Ohio but we still have some wide open spaces we can get to. I'll take my chances out in the open thank you very much.

Stay away from sand... because sand becomes like water when it's shook. It'll swallow you right up never to be seen again.

Doesn't look like you've got a lot to worry about in Texas anyway Dillo... http://earthquake.usgs.gov/regional/states/?regionID=43&region=Texas

We've had more quakes here in the last three days than Texas has had in the history of the state... :laugh:

Yurt
04-26-2008, 08:09 PM
RENO, Nevada (AP) -- Scientists urged residents of northern Nevada's largest city to prepare for a bigger event as the area continued rumbling Saturday after the largest earthquake in a two-month-long series of temblors.

More than 100 aftershocks were recorded on the western edge of the city after a magnitude-4.7 quake hit Friday night, the strongest quake around Reno since one measuring 5.2 in 1953, said researchers at the seismological laboratory at the University of Nevada, Reno.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/04/26/reno.quake.ap/index.html

stay safe as you can Pale.

Pale Rider
04-26-2008, 09:55 PM
RENO, Nevada (AP) -- Scientists urged residents of northern Nevada's largest city to prepare for a bigger event as the area continued rumbling Saturday after the largest earthquake in a two-month-long series of temblors.

More than 100 aftershocks were recorded on the western edge of the city after a magnitude-4.7 quake hit Friday night, the strongest quake around Reno since one measuring 5.2 in 1953, said researchers at the seismological laboratory at the University of Nevada, Reno.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/04/26/reno.quake.ap/index.html

stay safe as you can Pale.

No big tremors, but the little ones continue, which means this crap is far from over. They're called "swarm quakes"... http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/recenteqs/Maps/120-40_full.html

They said on our local news that the longer we go without anything big happening, the better chance there won't be anything.

Pale Rider
04-27-2008, 03:00 AM
178 quake events recorded from midnight last night to midnight tonight... and they just keep coming. There's been nothing like it happen anywhere else in America. There's scientists here from all over the world now studying this event. The shitty problem is, I'm sitting practically right on top of it.

glockmail
04-27-2008, 06:22 AM
178 quake events recorded from midnight last night to midnight tonight... and they just keep coming. There's been nothing like it happen anywhere else in America. There's scientists here from all over the world now studying this event. The shitty problem is, I'm sitting practically right on top of it.

http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/recenteqs/Maps/120-40_full.html I sense a capitalist opportunity ....

Pale Rider
05-24-2008, 04:38 PM
Not one tremor yet today... don't know whether to start relaxing or get nervous... http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/recenteqs/Maps/120-40_full.html

manu1959
05-24-2008, 05:17 PM
Not one tremor yet today... don't know whether to start relaxing or get nervous... http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/recenteqs/Maps/120-40_full.html

so has it slowed down.....tahoe was once a big ass volcanoe....damn i need to get back up there....my grandad had the coolest compound up there....

dread
05-24-2008, 05:22 PM

You know...There is alot of land up for sale back down in Arizona (hint hint)and not all of it is in the desert.

Pale Rider
05-24-2008, 05:25 PM
so has it slowed down.....tahoe was once a big ass volcanoe....damn i need to get back up there....my grandad had the coolest compound up there....
Yeah it has slowed down. That USGS map went from 300 some quakes down to the double digits it is now. But "they" say that that is no idication that the "big one" still may not hit.

You know...There is alot of land up for sale back down in Arizona (hint hint)and not all of it is in the desert.
No thanks D. I'm moving back up to Montana to live by some family.

manu1959
05-24-2008, 05:27 PM
Yeah it has slowed down. That USGS map went from 300 some quakes down to the double digits it is now. But "they" say that that is no idication that the "big one" still may not hit.

university buddy of mine lives up in montana....he grew up in san diego.....he just loves it up there....huntin fishin ranchin.....his wife and two kids just havin a blast....

dread
05-24-2008, 05:29 PM

Being near the family is understandable...However they still have earthquakes up there in Montana. In all the years I have lived in Arizona I have only felt one earthquake. And that was a strong one coming from California.

Pale Rider
05-24-2008, 05:42 PM
university buddy of mine lives up in montana....he grew up in san diego.....he just loves it up there....huntin fishin ranchin.....his wife and two kids just havin a blast....
I lived up there in '73 and again in '87-'88. I love it up there myself. Nice country.

Being near the family is understandable...However they still have earthquakes up there in Montana. In all the years I have lived in Arizona I have only felt one earthquake. And that was a strong one coming from California.
Actually Montana doesn't have much in the way of earth quakes at all. Not compared to Nevada. Alaska is first in earth quakes, California second and Nevada third, and I just have to be sitting practically on TOP of all the latest SHIT!

Pale Rider
05-26-2008, 10:50 AM
All I have to do to feel lucky is check out the quake activity up in Alalska... http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsus/Maps/special/Alaska.php

Fuck that.