PDA

View Full Version : Another Emmett live survey

emmett
04-15-2008, 11:26 PM
The other day another agent and myself were at a small college in North Georgia waiting for a car to get home so we could steal it. We had a little spare time so we decided to entertain ourselves with another one of our field surveys. This took place in Cleveland, Georgia. Most of the interviews were with college kids from Truett McConnell College however we did run into a few local kids also.

People Interviewed: 29
Male:15 Conservative: 6 Democrat: 9
Female: 14 Conservative: 3 Liberal: 10 Libertarian: 1

Not a single fucking one of them knew the first five presidents in order.

Only 3 knew the Liberty Bell was in Philidelphia (2 Conservatives, 1 Libertarian, all female by the way)

Only 1 knew the capitol of Nevada was Carson City (the Libertarian)

Out of the 19 Liberals, 16 will vote for Black Obama. 2 said Hillary Clinton and one actually said John Mccain (in the Democratic Primary mind you)

We have some sharp ass young folks preparing to take over this nation people, so fear not!!!!

Stay tuned to this Debate Policy station for upcoming events such as these terribly entertaining surveys of America's young folks, brought to you by ............................ME!

04-16-2008, 12:16 AM
dont worry. they have some time to grow up.

glockmail
04-16-2008, 05:47 AM
Shit, when I was in college I was politically inept. I never once claimed to be liberal though- not even close.

So what kind of car did you steal?

PostmodernProphet
04-16-2008, 06:00 AM

????...I consider myself a fairly intelligent person, with two post graduate degrees.....the succession of the first five presidents is something I have never bothered to commit to memory....why did you choose that as your poll question......

Gaffer
04-16-2008, 09:08 AM
Recommended questions:

Who is the speaker of the house?

Who was president during the kennedy years?

How many senators does your state have?

What day do we celebrate as independence day?

Always like you surveys. Keep em coming.

Abbey Marie
04-16-2008, 10:48 AM
Emmett, consider this:

When I was in college, I was a registered Democrat, liberal, feminist.
I thought Reagan was a war-monger, and unfettered access to abortion was every woman's right.

And then I grew up.

Thankfully, these things often change with experience and the garnering of wisdom. And with a closer relationship with God.

mundame
04-16-2008, 10:59 AM
[

Only 3 knew the Liberty Bell was in Philidelphia (2 Conservatives, 1 Libertarian, all female by the way)

I'm not impressed by those questions showing a problem. The first question is historical.....let's see, Washington, Jefferson, Adams, Adams, Adams? I'm not into early American history, and if you are concerned with political knowledge and sophistication, I don't think that's a good question because it's simply historical.

The other two are geographical. I've been to the Liberty Bell twice (and the first time you could touch it and now you can't!!!!!!!!! THAT is important, not where it is!!) I could not have told you the capital of Nevada, and I'm pretty sure that is not too important to most Marylanders. If for some reason we need it, we can Google it.

1) Who is your representative to Congress?

2) Name your senators.

3) Name three Cabinet posts.

4) Who heads up the military, and why?

5) Name three wars the United States has won.

6) Name two territorial possessions of the U.S. outside our states.

I could go on, but these are 1) at least current on our political scene, and 2) our education system is so incredibly poor that I doubt any of your interviewees could have answered these questions, either!

hjmick
04-16-2008, 11:07 AM
Washington, Adams, Jefferson, Madison, Munroe, Adams...

I also remember being able to touch the Liberty Bell, I also remember when it was still housed in Independence Hall.

Abbey Marie
04-16-2008, 11:11 AM
[
I'm not impressed by those questions showing a problem. The first question is historical.....let's see, Washington, Jefferson, Adams, Adams, Adams? I'm not into early American history, and if you are concerned with political knowledge and sophistication, I don't think that's a good question because it's simply historical.

I love reading about Revolutionary times and about our founding fathers. I would never think of it as "just history". Do you not think that it is important to know how our country was founded, by whom, and why? It is the basis for our Constitution and everything that came afterwards. The bedrock of our nation.

mundame
04-16-2008, 11:14 AM

I also remember being able to touch the Liberty Bell, I also remember when it was still housed in Independence Hall.

Very good. I'm sure....I still didn't look it up. I'll take your word for it.

As for that Bell, we took some grandchildren to see it and I was shocked at the changes. I remember my father encouraging me to touch the Bell for Liberty, and we couldn't do that this time.

hjmick
04-16-2008, 11:20 AM
I love reading about Revolutionary times and about our founding fathers. I would never think of it as "just history". Do you not think that it is important to know how our country was founded, by whom, and why? It is the basis for our Constitution and everything that came afterwards. The bedrock of our nation.

Have you been watching HBO's John Adams? If not, you are missing some good stuff.

For those who are interested and/or don't have HBO, the DVD comes out on June 10th.

mundame
04-16-2008, 11:20 AM

I'm sure you are right. Presumably I knew the order of presidents in grade school, but that's been awhile.

One has to pick one's period and really learn it, I think: I'm stuck on WWI for the past two years, waylaid by that lovely war while I was trying to get to WWII. I MAY make it to WWII yet, but I've got another year or so in 1914-1918.

I'm trying to stay out of American history; in Maryland, it just leads to re-enactments, I find. We live a block from the road Washington rode up and down on to get to Philadelphia, and I hate to think of Lafayette and all the other ghosts riding that road night and day. Half the people around here are either counting stitches they sew on Blue and Gray uniforms for historical accuracy, or trailering cavalry horses to Virginia battles, depending on gender. No. No. Please, no.

Abbey Marie
04-16-2008, 11:25 AM
Have you been watching HBO's John Adams? If not, you are missing some good stuff.

For those who are interested and/or don't have HBO, the DVD comes out on June 10th.

I have read the book by McCullough that they based it on; it was fantastic.

We choose not to get HBO in our home, but I did see two episodes in our hotel room in Florida last week. Pretty cool, though I did not really like Giamatti in the role.

Noir
04-16-2008, 11:40 AM
We have some sharp ass young folks preparing to take over this nation people, so fear not!!!!

Yeah, cus clearly the future doctors, solicitors and scientists of your nation will be comprimised and usless because they don't know the first 5 in order.

Why is this shocking? do they have any reason to know the capitol of Nevada? cus ya's have like 51 states, i'm sure its difficult enough to rhyme them all off, never mind their capitols too, and landmarks such as the liberty bell thats in them, but hey, whatever way you wana spend your time doin..

04-16-2008, 12:31 PM

you misspelled Monroe.

I dont know why the question is so difficult. i memorized the Presidents in order with a song in elementry school. probably like second grade.

mundame
04-16-2008, 12:41 PM
I dont know why the question is so difficult. i memorized the Presidents in order with a song in elementry school. probably like second grade.

Do.....do you have many occasions to sing that little song? http://smilies.vidahost.com/otn/wink/wink.gif

hjmick
04-16-2008, 12:43 PM
you misspelled Monroe.

That's funny because when I was typing his name I was thinking, "o" not "u," "o" not "u."

manu1959
04-16-2008, 01:19 PM
Yeah, cus clearly the future doctors, solicitors and scientists of your nation will be comprimised and usless because they don't know the first 5 in order.
Why is this shocking? do they have any reason to know the capitol of Nevada? cus ya's have like 51 states, i'm sure its difficult enough to rhyme them all off, never mind their capitols too, and landmarks such as the liberty bell thats in them, but hey, whatever way you wana spend your time doin..

really....you don't care who the first five kings of england were.......the capitols of your various counties......where shakspeare lived.....

Monkeybone
04-16-2008, 01:32 PM

we have 51 states now? kick ass!

hjmick
04-16-2008, 01:49 PM
...where shakspeare lived...

He was born in Stratford-upon-Avon, where he later retired and eventually died, during the interim years he lived and worked in London.

The fist person to claim the title of King of England was Offa in 774. The continuous list starts with Egbert of the House of Wessex, followed by Ethelwulf, Ethelbald, Ethelbert, and Ethelred.

mundame
04-16-2008, 01:51 PM
...Ethelwulf, Ethelbald, Ethelbert, and Ethelred.

http://www.powwows.com/gathering/images/smilies/google.gif

manu1959
04-16-2008, 01:52 PM

england

hjmick
04-16-2008, 01:55 PM
http://www.powwows.com/gathering/images/smilies/google.gif

For that part of the post...yes.

As for the Shakespeare part, no. My father taught English at the University of Houston and Texas A&I (now A&M) in Kingsville. Try growing up and doing school papers with a college English professor in the house. :rolleyes:

manu1959
04-16-2008, 02:00 PM
For that part of the post...yes.

As for the Shakespeare part, no. My father taught English at the University of Houston and Texas A&I (now A&M) in Kingsville. Try growing up and doing school papers with a college English professor in the house. :rolleyes:

been to stratford and seen one of willy's plays there.....good fun....

mundame
04-16-2008, 02:09 PM
been to stratford and seen one of willy's plays there.....good fun....

I did, too --- one of the Henry's.

Noir
04-16-2008, 02:19 PM

Damnit :slap: , was i close? i memo hearing something about 51 stars on the stars and strips [note i now know that is also prob wrong], oh well, you have more than 6 anyways, so you have allot.

really....you don't care who the first five kings of england were.......the capitols of your various counties......where shakspeare lived.....

I have no interest in who the first 5 kings were, and never will, unless i need them to complete some assignment on them. We only have 4 counties aswell so its kinda easy to memo all them. And i don't care for where Shakespeare lived, i only care for the works he has written.

but i just don't understand where this is coming from, how does knowing the first 5 pres. or my first 5 kings have anything to do with anything? i'm pretty sure i'll be rather successful at my profession whether i know them or not, likewise with my American counterparts.

hjmick
04-16-2008, 02:24 PM
Fifty stars, thirteen stripes.

Abbey Marie
04-16-2008, 03:07 PM
Stratford U-A was beautiful.

Noir
04-16-2008, 03:50 PM
Fifty stars, thirteen stripes.

So there's 50 states?

hjmick
04-16-2008, 04:09 PM
So there's 50 states?

Yes, my English brother. We're still working on Puerto Rico, but they're having none of it. They're a semi-autonomous territory of the U.S. and seem to like it that way. They get to vote in Presidential primaries and no one tries to blow up their island.

midcan5
04-16-2008, 04:13 PM
I don't think fact knowledge that important even though one should understand the structure of their governing bodies. Suppose I know all the presidents, does that make me a better citizen? I will post a thread with questions I think important but ask them if they understand and can explain:

various parts of government
check and balances
constitutional democracy
how fascism communism and democracy differ
federalism

Knowledge is what you do with the information not a bunch of facts.

Noir
04-16-2008, 05:27 PM
Yes, my English brother. We're still working on Puerto Rico, but they're having none of it. They're a semi-autonomous territory of the U.S. and seem to like it that way. They get to vote in Presidential primaries and no one tries to blow up their island.

So 50 1/2, 51 was close enough methinks :)