PDA

View Full Version : Obama criticizes Carter...kind of...

hjmick
04-16-2008, 02:46 PM
Me thinks someone decided that Barack might lose the Jewish vote if he didn't say something against Jimmy's Hamas love-in. After almost a week of controversy surrounding Carter's visit, Obama finally has something to say...

Obama criticizes ex-President Carter's Hamas meeting
Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:40pm EDT

PHILADELPHIA (Reuters) - Democratic White House hopeful Barack Obama on Wednesday disagreed with former President Jimmy Carter's overtures toward Hamas, saying he would not talk to the Islamist group until it recognized Israel and renounced terrorism.

The Illinois senator, campaigning in Pennsylvania which holds the next presidential voting contest on Tuesday, told a group of Jewish leaders he has an "unshakable commitment" to help protect Israel from its "bitter enemies."

"That's why I have a fundamental difference with President Carter and disagree with his decision to meet with Hamas," Obama said. "We must not negotiate with a terrorist group intent on Israel's destruction. We should only sit down with Hamas if they renounce terrorism, recognize Israel's right to exist and abide by past agreements."

"Hamas is not a state. Hamas is a terrorist organization," he said. (http://www.reuters.com/article/politicsNews/idUSN1636948020080416?feedType=RSS&feedName=politicsNews&rpc=22&sp=true)

Funny, just last Friday Barack said that it was not his place to criticize Carter if he were to meet with Hamas. I wonder, will it be his place, should he become our next President, to criticize someone when they are so obviously subverting U.S. policy as laid out by his administration?

Interestingly, he says "We must not negotiate with a terrorist group intent on Israel's destruction," yet we all know he has said he wants to sit down with Iran and talk. What's the difference? Iran is a formal country? They want the destruction of Israel no less tha Hamas...