PDA

View Full Version : Is that a Twisted Sister pin...

hjmick
04-16-2008, 03:01 PM
...on your uniform?! No...wait...it's the American flag...

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/04/15/obamalapelpin41508.jpg

What happened to, "You know, the truth is that right after 9/11, I had a pin. Shortly after 9/11, particularly because as we're talking about the Iraq war, that became a substitute for, I think, true patriotism, which is speaking out on issues that are of importance to our national security, I decided I won't wear that pin on my chest. Instead I'm going to try to tell the American people what I believe will make this country great, and hopefully that will be a testimony to my patriotism."

And...

"I'm less concerned with what you're wearing on your lapel than what's in your heart. You show your patriotism by how you treat your fellow Americans, especially those who serve. And you show your patriotism by being true to your values and ideals. And that's what we have to lead with, our values and ideals."

Hagbard Celine
04-16-2008, 03:09 PM
It's a pin. Wow.

theHawk
04-16-2008, 03:27 PM
Gee, it couldn't be because now that American's have seen the "patriotism in his heart" their stomach is turning.
So now he is quick to pin a flag to his chest to sugar coat what a bitter pill he is to swallow.

Hagbard Celine
04-16-2008, 04:26 PM
Gee, it couldn't be because now that American's have seen the "patriotism in his heart" their stomach is turning.
So now he is quick to pin a flag to his chest to sugar coat what a bitter pill he is to swallow.

Or, it's a pin. Wow.

theHawk
04-16-2008, 04:28 PM
Or, it's a pin. Wow.

If it was "just a pin", then why did Obama make it a point not to wear one? :poke:

Hagbard Celine
04-16-2008, 04:30 PM
If it was "just a pin", then why did Obama make it a point not to wear one? :poke:

Read the OP to find out!

Noir
04-16-2008, 05:34 PM
I really don't get whats going on here, we wore and pin and has now decided against wearing it?

(my apologies for the slowness, it tends to afflict me on Wednesdays, it also tends to occur on Tuesdays, Sundays, Fridays, Saturdays and Thursdays..and the odd Monday too)
(Ring a ding 69 posts :))

hjmick
04-16-2008, 06:05 PM
I really don't get whats going on here, we wore and pin and has now decided against wearing it?

(my apologies for the slowness, it tends to afflict me on Wednesdays, it also tends to occur on Tuesdays, Sundays, Fridays, Saturdays and Thursdays..and the odd Monday too)
(Ring a ding 69 posts :))

There's really not much going on here. After 9/11 it became very popular for public figures, celebrities, and news anchors to wear small American flag lapel pins. It was meant as a tribute to those who died and to show support for the troops. There were/are some on the right who called those who chose not to wear them unpatriotic. Barack wore one for a brief period of time, but stopped wearing it when he began running for President and when asked about the decision to do away with the pin, he made the statements I quoted in my opening post. Recently he made some comments that rubbed some in the heartland, Pennsylvania especially, the wrong way and low and behold, the flag pin appeared once again.

I started this thread mostly for fun. I couldn't care less who wears a pin and who doesn't. I just found the reappearance amusing.

Noir
04-16-2008, 06:08 PM
Ah i see's, bloody flip floppy politicians

Trinity
04-16-2008, 06:24 PM
...on your uniform?! No...wait...it's the American flag...

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/04/15/obamalapelpin41508.jpg

What happened to, "You know, the truth is that right after 9/11, I had a pin. Shortly after 9/11, particularly because as we're talking about the Iraq war, that became a substitute for, I think, true patriotism, which is speaking out on issues that are of importance to our national security, I decided I won't wear that pin on my chest. Instead I'm going to try to tell the American people what I believe will make this country great, and hopefully that will be a testimony to my patriotism."

And...

"I'm less concerned with what you're wearing on your lapel than what's in your heart. You show your patriotism by how you treat your fellow Americans, especially those who serve. And you show your patriotism by being true to your values and ideals. And that's what we have to lead with, our values and ideals."

Wow it's been awhile and you'll have to wait till about 2 minutes into the video for it but here ya go...............

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Gs37NSLy3z4&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Gs37NSLy3z4&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>