PDA

View Full Version : Maine Uni. Puts U.S. Flags on Floor as 'Art'

red states rule
04-16-2008, 05:47 PM
So now desecrating the US flag is now "art"

Why would any College allow this kind of crap?

Maine Uni. Puts U.S. Flags on Floor as 'Art'- Will MSM Stay Silent?
By Warner Todd Huston | April 16, 2008 - 18:18 ET

We have another incident of empty showboating by a college kid who imagines herself to be making "art" and a "statement" by placing American flags on the floor in hopes that people would disrespect them enough to walk upon them. One Miss Susan Crane of the University of Maine at Farmington decided that her "art" was going to be an exercise in desecration. Keep your eye on this and see if the MSM will cover it. It is just starting to make the blog rounds.

Unfortunately, all we have is another disrespectful kid doing the same thing that a dozen other disrespectful kids have done at anti-American campuses across the country over the last 40 years or so. There isn't a thing "new" or even unexpected about it at this point. This makes her "statement" empty and pointless. But Crane has been fooled by her anti-American professors into imagining she is sparking a "conversation" about patriotism and the flag.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/warner-todd-huston/2008/04/16/maine-uni-puts-u-s-flags-floor-art-will-msm-stay-silent

Noir
04-16-2008, 06:18 PM
double post :slap:

Noir
04-16-2008, 06:19 PM
I did always wonder, now seems like an good time to ask, why does the USA look upon its flag like a holy relic?

Hobbit
04-16-2008, 06:23 PM
I did always wonder, now seems like an good time to ask, why does the USA look upon its flag like a holy relic?

It is a symbol of the country, and by tradition, the way you treat and respect the flag is reflective of the way you treat and respect the country.

Noir
04-16-2008, 06:26 PM
It is a symbol of the country, and by tradition, the way you treat and respect the flag is reflective of the way you treat and respect the country.
Fair play.

hjmick
04-16-2008, 06:34 PM
I did always wonder, now seems like an opertun time to ask, why does the USA look apon its flag like a holy relic?

Wow, that is a question I think would have more than one answer. I think the most simple answer may be what it represents to Americans. It is a symbol of the fight for independence by our forefathers. It was the inspiration for our national anthem, again the result of a war. The stripes represent the original thirteen colonies, those who fought for an independent country, while the starts give represent the union of all fifty states. It represents freedoms we hold dear, freedoms that are not found in many countries around the globe. Blood was spilled to get it, blood has been spilled to keep it. At the core, I believe our love of flag is an emotional matter of pride.

Now, as far as desecration of the flag is concerned, while I find the act distasteful and repugnant, I believe that do make it illegal to do so would be to ignore the foundation upon which this nation was built. There are many who disagree with that opinion, and I completely understand their point of view.

I'll probably catch some heat for that opinion.

red states rule
04-16-2008, 06:38 PM
Wow, that is a question I think would have more than one answer. I think the most simple answer may be what it represents to Americans. It is a symbol of the fight for independence by our forefathers. It was the inspiration for our national anthem, again the result of a war. The stripes represent the original thirteen colonies, those who fought for an independent country, while the starts give represent the union of all fifty states. It represents freedoms we hold dear, freedoms that are not found in many countries around the globe. Blood was spilled to get it, blood has been spilled to keep it. At the core, I believe our love of flag is an emotional matter of pride.

Now, as far as desecration of the flag is concerned, while I find the act distasteful and repugnant, I believe that do make it illegal to do so would be to ignore the foundation upon which this nation was built. There are many who disagree with that opinion, and I completely understand their point of view.

I'll probably catch some heat for that opinion.

I wonder if the college would allow say the Palestinian or Ismaili falg to put on the floor and walked on

No heat for your opinion, I am sorry to say I have to agree with you

The student is nothing more then a spoiled brat

Missileman
04-16-2008, 06:44 PM
I wonder if an unconscious art student laying in the middle of the floor for people to walk on would be considered "art"? It would be an exercise in reaction.

hjmick
04-16-2008, 07:03 PM
I wonder if the college would allow say the Palestinian or Ismaili falg to put on the floor and walked on

You and I and everyone else know that this would not be allowed. The cries of bigotry and intolerance would echo in the halls. I think the desecration of the American flag by Americans is tolerated because at it's core, as disgusting as it is, it is an act of free speech. While the desecration of another nation's flag is also free speech and protected by the first amendment, political correctness has made it an act of hate.

No heat for your opinion, I am sorry to say I have to agree with you

The student is nothing more then a spoiled brat

It's not easy to accept something you find distasteful. And yes, the student in question does seem not to understand or appreciate what the flag represents. Or, maybe she does and is testing just how secure her freedoms truly are.

I wonder if an unconscious art student laying in the middle of the floor for people to walk on would be considered "art"? It would be an exercise in reaction.

You, sir, are lucky I was not reading this post with a mouthful of Mountain Dew. Were that the case, I would be sending you a bill for a new keyboard.

theHawk
04-16-2008, 07:31 PM

Would you like it if someone pissed on the Union Jack and called it art?

red states rule
04-16-2008, 07:35 PM
You and I and everyone else know that this would not be allowed. The cries of bigotry and intolerance would echo in the halls. I think the desecration of the American flag by Americans is tolerated because at it's core, as disgusting as it is, it is an act of free speech. While the desecration of another nation's flag is also free speech and protected by the first amendment, political correctness has made it an act of hate.

It's not easy to accept something you find distasteful. And yes, the student in question does seem not to understand or appreciate what the flag represents. Or, maybe she does and is testing just how secure her freedoms truly are.

With the PC Police it is fine to smear, insult, and slime America, but you have to walk on egg shells when it comes to other countries and cultures

Yes, I find it very distasteful, but the kid has the right to do it. She spits on the symbol of the country that gives her right to smear the flag. She values her freedom yet shows her disrespect for the country that provides her those freedoms

Abbey Marie
04-16-2008, 07:39 PM
With the PC Police it is fine to smear, insult, and slime America, but you have to walk on egg shells when it comes to other countries and cultures

Yes, I find it very distasteful, but the kid has the right to do it. She spits on the symbol of the country that gives her right to smear the flag. She values her freedom yet shows her disrespect for the country that provides her those freedoms

If my daughter did this at college, I'd stop paying her tuition room & board post haste. She can "express herself" on her own dime.

red states rule
04-16-2008, 07:42 PM
If my daughter did this at college, I'd stop paying her tuition room & board post haste. She can "express herself" on her own dime.

If it were my daughter, she would have to get her own transportation, money, and anything else she wanted

I wonder if this "art" project was her idea, or some liberal loon of a Professor?

stephanie
04-16-2008, 07:54 PM
My heart was breaking for the Veteran..:salute:

red states rule
04-16-2008, 07:58 PM
My heart was breaking for the Veteran..:salute:

Me to. This is tyical of how elitist liberals treat members of the US military

mundame
04-16-2008, 10:33 PM
I wonder if the college would allow say the Palestinian or [Israeli flag] to put on the floor and walked on

Excellent point. I bet not!!

mundame
04-16-2008, 10:37 PM

And national news coverage........talk about disgracing the family!

Of course, maybe her parents are all for it. http://macg.net/emoticons/discontented1.gif

hjmick
04-16-2008, 10:43 PM
And national news coverage........talk about disgracing the family!

Of course, maybe her parents are all for it. http://macg.net/emoticons/discontented1.gif

I think I read that her father is a vet, he supported the project.

mundame
04-16-2008, 10:45 PM
I think I read that her father is a vet, he supported the project.

Freedom to do disgraceful things is one thing, being respectable is another.

This was not respectable.

Mr. P
04-16-2008, 11:00 PM
Some folks just don't get it.

Noir
04-17-2008, 03:27 AM
Would you like it if someone pissed on the Union Jack and called it art?

I wouldn't care if they pissed in the flag, its just a piece of cloth, so whatever floats their boat to be honest. I would be annoyed though if i was called art, as i don’t think its art, but that’s more of a philosophical debate than anything else

red states rule
04-17-2008, 06:16 AM
Some folks just don't get it.

Some do. 95% of the people did not walk on the flags