PDA

View Full Version : Renaming Things

Hobbit
04-17-2008, 10:43 AM
Like throwing money at it, this has become the ultimate political band-aid for fixing so many things. It was Shakespeare who first penned 'A rose by any other name would smell just as sweet." By extension, you can call dog crap rose sweetened cotton candy fluffy awesome lavender perfume, but it's still dog crap. Yet renaming things seems to be a solution so many politicians turn to. First up comes political correctness. They're not handicapped, they're disabled or 'handi-capable.' Yeah, I wonder how many cripples got up and walked after being relabeled handi-capable. However, it extends to SO many things. In Atlanta, there was a street. I can't remember what the name was (anybody wanna help me out?), but it had a lot of seedy hotels with hourly rates. The place was loaded with hookers and drugs. It was one of the worst places in Atlanta. Well, the city council decided to do something about it, so they renamed it Metropolitan. It's still loaded with seedy hotels, hookers, and drugs, but now it has a classy name. Brilliant!

So this leads to an op-ed piece I heard about from today's New York Times (on the radio, so no link). There are now politicians who want to do something about taxes. Nobody seems to like taxes. Everybody hates paying taxes, especially when they think about where the taxes go, so these politicians have decided to stand up and DO something. That thing, is to replace the word 'tax.' Nobody likes taxes, so we'll call them 'dues.' Doesn't everybody like dues? People would be far more receptive of taxes if they weren't taxes, but rather 'dues.' How asinine.

mundame
04-17-2008, 10:52 AM
Like throwing money at it, this has become the ultimate political band-aid for fixing so many things. It was Shakespeare who first penned 'A rose by any other name would smell just as sweet."

O, be some other name!
What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;

[Romeo and Juliet, Act II, Scene 2]

It has to be in iambic pentameter.

They're not handicapped, they're disabled or 'handi-capable.'

Don't forget "differently abled."