PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma sheriff charged with using inmates as sex slaves

LiberalNation
04-18-2008, 01:04 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080418/ap_on_re_us/sheriff_sex_charges

ARAPAHO, Okla. - Authorities have charged a western Oklahoma sheriff with coercing and bribing female inmates so he could use them in a sex-slave operation run out of his jail.

Custer County Sheriff Mike Burgess resigned Wednesday just as state prosecutors filed 35 felony charges against him, including 14 counts of second-degree rape, seven counts of forcible oral sodomy and five counts of bribery by a public official.

Burgess, the top officer in the county of 26,000 since 1994, appeared in court Wednesday was released after posting $50,000 bail.

"We are stunned," Undersheriff Kenneth Tidwell said Thursday.

Attorney Steve Huddleston said that he has not had a chance to review all the allegations against his client, but that "Mr. Burgess is anxious to go to court and clear his name."

Among other things, Burgess is accused of having sex with a female drug court participant who was in his custody. The crimes are to have occurred between October 2005 and April 2007.

A federal lawsuit filed in October claims Burgess told one drug court participant he would have her sent to prison if she didn't comply with his sexual demands.

The lawsuit, filed by 12 former inmates, alleges the sheriff's employees had them engage in wet T-shirt contests and offered cigarettes to those who would flash their breasts.

One prisoner alleged she became a jail trusty with more freedom after agreeing to perform a sex act on Burgess, but lost that status when she later refused.

Burgess also faces two counts each of sexual battery, rape by instrumentation and subornation of perjury, and one count each of engaging in a pattern of criminal offenses, indecent exposure and kidnapping.

My Winter Storm
04-18-2008, 01:41 AM
I find it horrying, that after being charged with such crimes, he is released on just $50,000 bail.
Keep him locked up, and let the inmates use HIM as a sex slave.

diuretic
04-18-2008, 02:53 AM
I find it horrying, that after being charged with such crimes, he is released on just $50,000 bail.

He's probably really, really ugly :laugh2:

04-18-2008, 03:20 AM

$50,000 bail is actually pretty darn high. He didn't get unsecured bail. it doesnt even look like he got 10% (although the types of bail may vary state to state). Most people can't post it. I am honestly surprised that he could. I would have thought the states would freeze his assets if he is suspected of a crime like this.

Don't worry. He isn't going anywhere. Trust me, if he tries he'll be back in prison ASAP.

04-18-2008, 03:21 AM
He's probably really, really ugly :laugh2:

that wouldnt really stop the prisoners.

diuretic
04-18-2008, 04:39 AM
that wouldnt really stop the prisoners.

I know, I know, they'd be handing out brown paper bags :cool:

red states rule
04-18-2008, 04:49 AM
Anyone notice the article never mentions his political affiliation?

He is a Democrats. Could that be the reason?

diuretic
04-18-2008, 05:36 AM
Anyone notice the article never mentions his political affiliation?

He is a Democrats. Could that be the reason?

What makes me more uncomfortable is that he's a law enforcement officer. That really burns.

red states rule
04-18-2008, 05:40 AM
What makes me more uncomfortable is that he's a law enforcement officer. That really burns.

True

But when it is a Republican invovled in any corruption probe, the liberal media makes it clear which political party he/she is a member of

It is a clear double standard

Another example is USA Today NEVER mentions Gov Spitser was a Dem in its front page article when his story broke

diuretic
04-18-2008, 05:55 AM
True

But when it is a Republican invovled in any corruption probe, the liberal media makes it clear which political party he/she is a member of

It is a clear double standard

Another example is USA Today NEVER mentions Gov Spitser was a Dem in its front page article when his story broke

Jeez even I knew he was a Democrat :laugh2:

red states rule
04-18-2008, 05:57 AM
Jeez even I knew he was a Democrat :laugh2:

The point is the liberal media does not report the Dems political affilation

They did the same thing with the Detriot Mayor, and MD Congressmen who are both caught up in a sex scandal

Sooner or later another Republican will be caught in something, and in the first paragraph it will be reported he/she is a Republlican

diuretic
04-18-2008, 06:07 AM
The point is the liberal media does not report the Dems political affilation

They did the same thing with the Detriot Mayor, and MD Congressmen who are both caught up in a sex scandal

Sooner or later another Republican will be caught in something, and in the first paragraph it will be reported he/she is a Republlican

Yes but FoxNews makes up for it - someone gets in the shit and it's (D) next to their name even if they're realy an (R) :laugh2:

Hey I'm pulling your leg RSR - really I think the info gets out one way or the other. I mean minor poltical figures like this el jeffe may have to get the label put on them but when someone gets in big poo like that bloke with the loot in his freezer, it's pretty much spread around if they're an (R) or a (D)

glockmail
04-18-2008, 06:07 AM
Keep him locked up, and let the inmates use HIM as a sex slave. Now there's that nice liberal compassion.

diuretic
04-18-2008, 06:09 AM
Now there's that nice liberal compassion.

We're not shackled in Oz (get it? :laugh2:) We don't feel the need to run our ideas through the ideological machine before we express them. It's rather refreshing :cheers2:

glockmail
04-18-2008, 06:15 AM
Sorry, it went right past me.

Too bad liberals run their ideas through the ideological machine before making law.

diuretic
04-18-2008, 06:20 AM
Sorry, it went right past me.

Too bad liberals run their ideas through the ideological machine before making law.

Must be the time difference - shackles - penal colony?

Jeez I get it thrown at me all the time and when I can use it....oh well.

Ah now law, law is all about ideology. Definitely all about ideology.

Yurt
04-18-2008, 08:12 AM
he hasn't been convicted yet....tho it doesn't look good to have so many witnesses against him....harder for them all to get their story straight if this was a scam

diuretic
04-18-2008, 08:14 AM
he hasn't been convicted yet....tho it doesn't look good to have so many witnesses against him....harder for them all to get their story straight if this was a scam

If it's accurate there will be a trail of evidence scattered all over the place. And let's not forget any deals that can be done.

Yurt
04-18-2008, 08:16 AM
If it's accurate there will be a trail of evidence scattered all over the place. And let's not forget any deals that can be done.

no doubt a deal will be done, i think the article even mentioned that max time and then the DA said, oh, he won't serve that much....

04-18-2008, 09:32 AM
one more thing about bail. The point of bail isnt to keep someone in jail. Its to make sure that those who have been committed of crimes will show up at the hearings. For serious crimes, that often means they request a high bail to make sure skipping out is a higher cost than showing up. Naturally these high amounts usually keep the person in jail. most people dont have $50,000+ to throw away.

Hagbard Celine
04-18-2008, 09:40 AM
What do the women look like? Are there some hotties in the mix or are they all skanks?

diuretic
04-18-2008, 06:23 PM
one more thing about bail. The point of bail isnt to keep someone in jail. Its to make sure that those who have been committed of crimes will show up at the hearings. For serious crimes, that often means they request a high bail to make sure skipping out is a higher cost than showing up. Naturally these high amounts usually keep the person in jail. most people dont have $50,000+ to throw away.

I always wondered how it worked there. Where I am the presumption is for bail and police can grant bail and courts of course. If police refuse bail they have to have a very good set of reasons for doing so, the decision can be taken before a magistrate for review (after hours it's done per phone) and that decision, if it's to refuse bail, is taken to a judge in chambers. No cash required either, just a recognizance and sometimes a guarantor. If bail conditions are breached then the hammer comes down.

Yes yurt I think the DA would be discussing outcomes with legal counsel right now. But jeez what a grubby bastard this man is (el jeffe I mean)

Kathianne
04-18-2008, 06:54 PM
I always wondered how it worked there. Where I am the presumption is for bail and police can grant bail and courts of course. If police refuse bail they have to have a very good set of reasons for doing so, the decision can be taken before a magistrate for review (after hours it's done per phone) and that decision, if it's to refuse bail, is taken to a judge in chambers. No cash required either, just a recognizance and sometimes a guarantor. If bail conditions are breached then the hammer comes down.

Yes yurt I think the DA would be discussing outcomes with legal counsel right now. But jeez what a grubby bastard this man is (el jeffe I mean)

Yep, it's not within the powers of police to set bail, rather it's on the 'law' side, the state's attorney to request and the court to set bail. If bail is granted, it's set to 'insure' that the defendant will show and not skip.

Gaffer
04-18-2008, 07:05 PM
Bail is set only by a judge. The prosecutor can ask for a high or low bail, but the judge makes the decision. In this country no police set or ask for a bail. If the arrest is on a weekend or at night the person sits in jail until a judge is contacted to set the bail or until they appear in court the following day. In serious cases the defendant will sit in jail until the court appearance. It's best not to get arrested on Friday night, makes for a long weekend.

Just to give you a better understanding D.

04-18-2008, 09:04 PM
Bail is set only by a judge. The prosecutor can ask for a high or low bail, but the judge makes the decision. In this country no police set or ask for a bail. If the arrest is on a weekend or at night the person sits in jail until a judge is contacted to set the bail or until they appear in court the following day. In serious cases the defendant will sit in jail until the court appearance. It's best not to get arrested on Friday night, makes for a long weekend.

Just to give you a better understanding D.

I'm not worried about getting arrested on a Friday night.

First, it would involve actually committing a crime (Not going to happen).

Second, by monday they would be begging to release me. I may be young, but a lawyer in prison with alot of free time on his hands is never good for the system.

diuretic
04-18-2008, 09:21 PM
Thank you for the information - it's interesting to see the differences.