PDA

View Full Version : Dean: I need a decision 'now'

red states rule
04-18-2008, 05:54 AM
Even Howie Dean McGovern can see the pending train wreck. For a year when Dems were so confident they would have an easy election season, things will only get worse as they go along

Hillary will not drop out, Obama is stumbling and bumbling, and Operation Chaos is exceeding al expectations

April 17, 2008
Dean: I need a decision 'now'
Posted: 08:36 PM ET

(CNN)— An increasingly firm Howard Dean told CNN again Thursday that he needs superdelegates to say who they’re for – and “I need them to say who they’re for starting now.”

“We cannot give up two or three months of active campaigning and healing time,” the Democratic National Committee Chairman told CNN’s Wolf Blitzer. “We’ve got to know who our nominee is.”

After facing criticism for a mostly hands-off leadership style during much of the primary season, Dean has been steadily raising the rhetorical pressure on superdelegates. He said Thursday that roughly 65 percent of them have made their preference plain, but that more than 300 have yet to make up their minds.

The national party chair, who has remained neutral throughout the primary process, said again it’s his job to make sure both candidates feel they are treated fairly – but not to tell either of them when to end their run.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/04/17/dean-i-need-a-decision-now/

Kathianne
04-18-2008, 06:03 AM
RSR, that link didn't work. I found this:

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/04/18/dean-i-need-a-decision-now/

Nukeman
04-18-2008, 07:16 AM
Even Howie Dean McGovern can see the pending train wreck. For a year when Dems were so confident they would have an easy election season, things will only get worse as they go along

Hillary will not drop out, Obama is stumbling and bumbling, and Operation Chaos is exceeding al expectations

April 17, 2008
Dean: I need a decision 'now'
Posted: 08:36 PM ET

(CNN)— An increasingly firm Howard Dean told CNN again Thursday that he needs superdelegates to say who they’re for – and “I need them to say who they’re for starting now.”

“We cannot give up two or three months of active campaigning and healing time,” the Democratic National Committee Chairman told CNN’s Wolf Blitzer. “We’ve got to know who our nominee is.”

After facing criticism for a mostly hands-off leadership style during much of the primary season, Dean has been steadily raising the rhetorical pressure on superdelegates. He said Thursday that roughly 65 percent of them have made their preference plain, but that more than 300 have yet to make up their minds.

The national party chair, who has remained neutral throughout the primary process, said again it’s his job to make sure both candidates feel they are treated fairly – but not to tell either of them when to end their run.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/04/17/dean-i-need-a-decision-now/
By doing this he fully negates the primaries in all states that don't participate in "super Tuesday". If a decission is reached prior to the primaries then those votes really don't count.

Why even have a primary if your just going to rely on your "super delegates"?

Dilloduck
04-18-2008, 07:22 AM
By doing this he fully negates the primaries in all states that don't participate in "super Tuesday". If a decission is reached prior to the primaries then those votes really don't count.

Why even have a primary if your just going to rely on your "super delegates"?

Why have an election when the people cannot even select who they want to be president ?

Yurt
04-18-2008, 08:09 AM
i'm surprised the dems haven't blamed bush for this

04-18-2008, 09:36 AM
i'm surprised the dems haven't blamed bush for this

Because Rush is the real person responsible for this, but they dont want to bring him into it and give him even more attention. Seriously, Rush's strategy here was brilliant.

I am actually surprised at Dean here. If he was smart, he could manuver himself so that he is the nominee....

red states rule
04-19-2008, 05:41 AM
It is geting better folks. How will Howie make them decide now?

He can't

Delegates to Dean: Make Us
snip

Relevant to the issue of the Democratic nomination, there is no formal mechanism for Dean to exercise power over superdelegates. Nor, for that matter, is this a power the DNC chairman has ever typically had. He has not been a party strongman. As noted above, in the days when there were party strongmen, the state parties ruled the roost. They supplied the smoke for the smoke-filled rooms.

Dean, of course, might have some informal power - perhaps thanks to the "50 State Strategy," which has tried to rehabilitate atrophied state parties. Some superdelegates might owe him a favor or two. However, I doubt that this would imply influence over the congressional superdelegates. Furthermore, Dean is a bit of a lame duck. His term is up next year. If the Democrats win the election in November, what we will likely see at the DNC is an adjustment to fit the needs and preferences of the President. This is typical. For instance, David Wilhelm, Clinton's campaign manager, became DNC chair in 1993.

Here we can appreciate how the national committees are still a bit like the powerless organizations that Cotter and Hennessy found. Unlike the Hill committees, they are "captured" by the President for his term in office. This makes it difficult to develop long-range institutional goals, and therefore difficult to exercise real power. Ironically, if the Democrats do win the election in November, that might mean the end of the "50 State Strategy." If President Obama or President Clinton doesn't buy into it, we can be confident that the new chairman will discontinue it.

To understand this nomination battle, we need to adjust our image of the national parties. The best way to think of them is as little more than guidance counselors with bank accounts. The candidates are in charge. Contrary to what Blitzer says in the aforementioned interview, Dean is not the "leader of the Democratic Party." That's a mischaracterization of the role of the DNC and its chairman.

It is instructive to contrast the changes in the parties with the changes in the government. The 20th century saw a federalization of many governmental tasks. Matters previously entrusted to state governments were turned over to the federal government. The parties had a completely different experience. The powers of the state parties were handed over to candidates for office, not to the federal parties. The role of the parties now is essentially to serve the electoral needs of those candidates.

This is why the "Democratic Party" cannot stop this nomination race. There is no party entity with the power to say, "OK, you two. Enough is enough." In keeping with the "candidate control" model of electoral politics, the only two who can stop it are Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama. That's the modern party system for you. 20th century reformers thought the parties were meddling institutions that corrupted the political process. So, they stripped them of their power. Accordingly, the Democrats are at the mercy of their candidates.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/horseraceblog/2008/04/delegates_to_dean_make_us_1.html

04-20-2008, 06:10 PM
he should also realize that there are still a number of superdelegates who need to be selected before they can make a decision. people who dont exist yet cant make decisions.

mundame
04-21-2008, 02:38 PM
Dean didn't say he wanted them to decide now, he said "starting now."

This game is still very, very live.

red states rule
04-22-2008, 06:05 AM
Dean didn't say he wanted them to decide now, he said "starting now."

This game is still very, very live.

and you can thank me

I am off to vote for Hillary soon in the PA primary. Then I will drop by the Courthouse, and leave the dark side and re-register as Republican

mundame
04-22-2008, 09:33 AM
and you can thank me

I am off to vote for Hillary soon in the PA primary. Then I will drop by the Courthouse, and leave the dark side and re-register as Republican

Thank you, Obi-Wan Kenobi.....you are my only hope. @-_-@

http://macg.net/emoticons/smilebow.gif

red states rule
04-22-2008, 09:34 AM
Thank you, Obi-Wan Kenobi.....you are my only hope. @-_-@

http://macg.net/emoticons/smilebow.gif

It was great this morning at the polls. I walked up and the Obama people thanked me for voting and asked if I was voting for Barry

The look of their faces were priceless when I told them I was an Operation Chaos operative and was voting for Hillary

When I was asked by the poll worker if I was a Republican or a Dem, I replied for one election and one vote I am a Democrat

The poll worker looked at me, and the guy next to me in line gave me a look that could kill

Great start to a great day!!

Pale Rider
04-22-2008, 10:13 AM
Gee... you guys should all shut your freagin' mouths according to maggotfrommaine. It's none of your business what howie dean says about the dem nominee, it's just none of your damn business.

red states rule
04-22-2008, 10:18 AM
Gee... you guys should all shut your freagin' mouths according to maggotfrommaine. It's none of your business what howie dean says about the dem nominee, it's just none of your damn business.

As a US citizen, and as a voter it is my business.

Obama claims to want to be my President (I am a bitter white guy in PA, so he dismisses me) so I am making it my business

mundame
04-22-2008, 10:28 AM
As a US citizen, and as a voter it is my business.

Obama claims to want to be my President (I am a bitter white guy in PA, so he dismisses me) so I am making it my business

I just got a letter from the CATO Institute citing Michelle Obama as saying that her husband wouldn't "allow" us to go back to our uninvolved, politically inactive lives after he won the presidency.

Oh, yeah? Obama and what army is going to "not allow" me to live the life I want to? Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh!!

red states rule
04-22-2008, 10:32 AM
I just got a letter from the CATO Institute citing Michelle Obama as saying that her husband wouldn't "allow" us to go back to our uninvolved, politically inactive lives after he won the presidency.

Oh, yeah? Obama and what army is going to "not allow" me to live the life I want to? Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh!!

As I said, there is not a dimes worth of difference between Hillary and Barry.

Hilllary has alot of ideas on how to run you life. Being a liberal she knows what is best for you Mundame, and your family

Hobbit
04-22-2008, 11:41 AM

The U.S. Army? Mark my words, Democrats are absolutely convinced that they know better than you how to run your life.

red states rule
04-22-2008, 11:43 AM
The U.S. Army? Mark my words, Democrats are absolutely convinced that they know better than you how to run your life.

The idea of Hell to a liberal is having to mind their own business and not stick their nose in other people's lives

mundame
04-22-2008, 11:52 AM
The idea of Hell to a liberal is having to mind their own business and not stick their nose in other people's lives

You may have something there.

We've got some ladies in my county who have been sending me e-mails on their e-mail list for lo, these many years, and they hate every change that ever happens in the county. Anyone wants to build anything, they're against it. Someone fertilizes a field, they're against that. Someone wants to widen a road, oh, it's the End Times! The tree crews don't cut trees right. People should mow their grass, but if they do, it's endangering Wetlands.

I figured this out early on and quit the group, because I realized they are not only interested in minding everyone's business (they don't work, which is a lot of the problem, I think), but also, they just hate change itself, and that's really a spiritual issue. You gotta get with change, because it's the only constant.

Now that you mention it.....................they are sort of all Democrats. http://forums.offtopic.com/images/smilies/happysad.gif

red states rule
04-22-2008, 11:54 AM
You may have something there.

We've got some ladies in my county who have been sending me e-mails on their e-mail list for lo, these many years, and they hate every change that ever happens in the county. Anyone wants to build anything, they're against it. Someone fertilizes a field, they're against that. Someone wants to widen a road, oh, it's the End Times! The tree crews don't cut trees right. People should mow their grass, but if they do, it's endangering Wetlands.

I figured this out early on and quit the group, because I realized they are not only interested in minding everyone's business (they don't work, which is a lot of the problem, I think), but also, they just hate change itself, and that's really a spiritual issue. You gotta get with change, because it's the only constant.

Now that you mention it.....................they are sort of all Democrats. http://forums.offtopic.com/images/smilies/happysad.gif

Libs are obsessed with making everyone think and act like them. With Hillary and Barry, they are getting more open with their arrogance

mundame
04-23-2008, 10:52 AM
We watched Fox on the election returns last night, and I was amazed to hear Carl Cameron say that ten percent of the Dem votes in Pennsylvania were supposed to be Republicans who had re-registered for the Limbaugh Operation Chaos. (Including our own RedStatesRule.)

I was so surprised I rewound the Tivo and played it again ------ but I still don't believe it. I don't believe ten percent of Dem voters took that much trouble.

Sort of a fun idea, though.

red states rule
04-23-2008, 10:53 AM
We watched Fox on the election returns last night, and I was amazed to hear Carl Cameron say that ten percent of the Dem votes in Pennsylvania were supposed to be Republicans who had re-registered for the Limbaugh Operation Chaos. (Including our own RedStatesRule.)

I was so surprised I rewound the Tivo and played it again ------ but I still don't believe it. I don't believe ten percent of Dem voters took that much trouble.

Sort of a fun idea, though.

Believe it girl. We had alot of fun yesterday, and we have more states to go

Rush will be in a great mood today :laugh2: