PDA

View Full Version : Almost a Marine

Gaffer
04-18-2008, 06:57 PM
When I got drafted we had passed all the physicals and testing and they took about 30 of us into a room with this big long conference table that we all sat at. Then in walks this Marine Sergeant. He starts walking around the table and every few guys he would stop and initial their papers. When he got around to me I was holding my breath cause I had a feeling what he was there for. He looked at my papers then moved to the guy next to me and initialed his. He then moved to the door and said, "Everyone with my intials on your paper work, come with me, your now Marines."

So I didn't get drafted in the Marines. But... I got to basic training at Ft Ord Ca. And the senior drill sergeant introduces himself. It seems, before switching over to the army he had been a Marine. And, although he wasn't allowed to give us real Marine training, he was going to get as close to it as he could. And he did.

So after all that I was off to Vietnam. Sent to Tay Nihn as part of the 196th LIB. We were mostly in the Iron Triangle and along the Cambodian border. That was my first three months. Then we were moved to north to Chu Lai. Where we were attached to....the 3rd Marine Division. We did patrols of the area and secured a anti-aircraft missile base. We made an assault from a landing craft onto an island. We rode to other islands on the big blue apc that are almost submerged in deep water. Don't know the names of the things but they carry about 50 guys at a time. And whenever we were in base camp we ate Navy chow. That was good. We were Marines (or at least used like Marines) for a couple of months before they finally released us to our independent brigade status again.

I didn't join the Marines, but I might as well have.

Kathianne
04-18-2008, 07:01 PM
When I got drafted we had passed all the physicals and testing and they took about 30 of us into a room with this big long conference table that we all sat at. Then in walks this Marine Sergeant. He starts walking around the table and every few guys he would stop and initial their papers. When he got around to me I was holding my breath cause I had a feeling what he was there for. He looked at my papers then moved to the guy next to me and initialed his. He then moved to the door and said, "Everyone with my intials on your paper work, come with me, your now Marines."

So I didn't get drafted in the Marines. But... I got to basic training at Ft Ord Ca. And the senior drill sergeant introduces himself. It seems, before switching over to the army he had been a Marine. And, although he wasn't allowed to give us real Marine training, he was going to get as close to it as he could. And he did.

So after all that I was off to Vietnam. Sent to Tay Nihn as part of the 196th LIB. We were mostly in the Iron Triangle and along the Cambodian border. That was my first three months. Then we were moved to north to Chu Lai. Where we were attached to....the 3rd Marine Division. We did patrols of the area and secured a anti-aircraft missile base. We made an assault from a landing craft onto an island. We rode to other islands on the big blue apc that are almost submerged in deep water. Don't know the names of the things but they carry about 50 guys at a time. And whenever we were in base camp we ate Navy chow. That was good. We were Marines (or at least used like Marines) for a couple of months before they finally released us to our independent brigade status again.

I didn't join the Marines, but I might as well have.

That is one cool story for the grandkids, Gaffer. I salute you! I thank you for your service to our country.

glockmail
04-18-2008, 07:14 PM
What's the deal with the 30 guys at the conference table? Does the Marine Sgt get first dibs or something?

Gaffer
04-18-2008, 07:23 PM
What's the deal with the 30 guys at the conference table? Does the Marine Sgt get first dibs or something?

I guess so. They never explained anything to us or even what it was about. There were a lot of shocked faces when he told us that. There were probably a 1000 guys in the induction center. He may have just selected one group to chose from took them from there.

I was a scrawny kid, 5'6" and 125 pounds. He probably passed me up for that reason. I came out of basic an inch an a half taller and 145.

Gaffer
04-18-2008, 07:26 PM
That is one cool story for the grandkids, Gaffer. I salute you! I thank you for your service to our country.

Maybe when they are older. Can't keep their attention long enough to tell stories to them. Krissy's son might be interested if I could get him away from guitar hero and the computer long enough. :laugh2:

82Marine89
04-18-2008, 07:31 PM
As I type this, I am wearing my 3DMarDiv t-shirt. I have jeans on as well for those of you with perverted thoughts. Thanks for paving the way Gaffer.

Gadget (fmr Marine)
04-18-2008, 07:34 PM
Ditto.....not about the shirt.....but the rest goes for me, as well!:salute:

As I type this, I am wearing my 3DMarDiv t-shirt. I have jeans on as well for those of you with perverted thoughts. Thanks for paving the way Gaffer.

Gaffer
04-18-2008, 07:43 PM

I always take note of what the 3DMD is doing. Easier to keep track of them than my old regiment 2nd of the 1st. I think they are with the 10th Mt Div now, but I haven't been able to get access to their website. The oldest unit in the army and I can't locate them.

FYI the 1st of the 1st is the ceremonial part of the regiment. They do all the guarding of historical sites and cemeteries and grave sites along with special events in Washington. The 2nd battalion is the combat arm of the regiment.

82Marine89
04-18-2008, 07:56 PM
I always take note of what the 3DMD is doing. Easier to keep track of them than my old regiment 2nd of the 1st. I think they are with the 10th Mt Div now, but I haven't been able to get access to their website. The oldest unit in the army and I can't locate them.

FYI the 1st of the 1st is the ceremonial part of the regiment. They do all the guarding of historical sites and cemeteries and grave sites along with special events in Washington. The 2nd battalion is the combat arm of the regiment.

Still at work...

Gaffer
04-18-2008, 08:46 PM
Still at work...

Cool shirt.

manu1959
04-18-2008, 09:16 PM
cool story gaffer.....my dad was an lt at at fort ord in 58 59 60.......just recently designed a project at fort ord to convert part of it to a retail center....was strange driving around a place and going home to look at pictures of me as a baby with my dad on base in front of buildings i was now destroying.....life is odd sometimes....

Gaffer
04-19-2008, 11:55 AM
cool story gaffer.....my dad was an lt at at fort ord in 58 59 60.......just recently designed a project at fort ord to convert part of it to a retail center....was strange driving around a place and going home to look at pictures of me as a baby with my dad on base in front of buildings i was now destroying.....life is odd sometimes....

Are those old barracks still standing? Seemed there was always a cloud over Ft. Ord and temp rarely got over 60 degrees. And those barracks had no heat. In fact if you wanted to look outside you didn't have to look out the window, just go peek out through the cracks in the wall. There was only an outside wall.

manu1959
04-19-2008, 12:54 PM
Are those old barracks still standing? Seemed there was always a cloud over Ft. Ord and temp rarely got over 60 degrees. And those barracks had no heat. In fact if you wanted to look outside you didn't have to look out the window, just go peek out through the cracks in the wall. There was only an outside wall.

some are but they are all slated for demolition.....went into a few of them.....i think the wind blew harder inside than out.....tried to convince my client to convert an old brick power building into a brew pub.....

Gaffer
04-19-2008, 02:20 PM
some are but they are all slated for demolition.....went into a few of them.....i think the wind blew harder inside than out.....tried to convince my client to convert an old brick power building into a brew pub.....

When I say the temp never got over 60 degrees. That was in the summer time. When I went there it was late July and they told us all to bring a jacket. Can you imagine going out for formation in August wearing a field jacket. I guess its building up around there now. The closest town when I was there was Seaside. The area must have grown a lot if your recommending a brew pub.

Sitarro
04-19-2008, 02:41 PM
Still at work...

Ya know 82, with the right mustache you would look a lot like Tom Selleck.

glockmail
04-20-2008, 06:38 PM
Still at work... Do you have a TV series? I saw a Marine in uniform touting a show the other day. I can't remember what, but he looked just like you.

gabosaurus
04-20-2008, 06:45 PM
At least you went to Viet Nam and served your country. There are others (Dick Cheney and Ted Nugent come to mind) that refused to.
I respect everyone who served.

82Marine89
04-20-2008, 06:49 PM
Do you have a TV series? I saw a Marine in uniform touting a show the other day. I can't remember what, but he looked just like you.

It was called 'How to cure a liberal'. Wasn't a long running series. Only one episode to be exact. You salt them heavily and set them on the back porch for a few weeks. Not much to discuss after that.

Got a link to the actual show you were talking about? At least a channel?

glockmail
04-20-2008, 07:51 PM
It was called 'How to cure a liberal'. Wasn't a long running series. Only one episode to be exact. You salt them heavily and set them on the back porch for a few weeks. Not much to discuss after that.

Got a link to the actual show you were talking about? At least a channel? It wasn't a show, but a "teaser" to a show. I'll keep my eye open for it. It was either on the History Channel or Spike.