PDA

View Full Version : Yesterday's Quake Reminds Me

Kathianne
04-19-2008, 07:42 AM
Thursday morning at school, a couple of teachers were in my room before school started. Just the normal gossiping and talking about summer, etc. All the sudden one of them said, "Your cell is buzzing," but I didn't have my cell with me. We figured somehow my laptop must have been the cause. A few minutes later, a precariously staked pile of papers fell over and we started laughing, I said, "Gee, maybe it's an earthquake." Laughter.

Yesterday, (Friday) morning I'm sitting in the kitchen with my coffee and suddenly the table is 'dancing', ceiling fan swaying. Yep, that was the earthquake. Seems the ones here are a bit different than those in the West. Here's some not so reassuring information from AP:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080419/ap_on_re_us/midwest_earthquake

Scientists say Midwest quakes poorly understood

By DAVID MERCER, Associated Press Writer1 hour, 43 minutes ago

Scientists say they know far too little about Midwestern seismic zones like the one that rumbled to life under southern Illinois Friday morning, but some of what they do know is unnerving.

The fault zones beneath the Mississippi River Valley have produced some of the largest modern U.S. quakes east of the Rockies, a region covered with old buildings not built to withstand seismic activity.

And, when quakes happen, they're felt far and wide, their vibrations propagated over hundreds of miles of bedrock.

The New Madrid fault zone produced a series of quakes in 1811 and 1812 that reached an estimated magnitude 7.0, putting them among the strongest known quakes to have occurred east of the Rockies. The quakes changed the course of the Mississippi River and were felt in New England.

That distance of well over a thousand miles sounds impressive, but experts say quakes that happen in the Midwest commonly radiate out for hundreds of miles because of the bedrock beneath much of the eastern United States.

"Our bedrock here is old, really rigid and sends those waves a long way," said Bob Bauer, a geologist with the Illinois State Geological Survey who works in Champaign.

He compared the underground rock, which in much of the Midwest lies anywhere from a few thousand feet to just a few feet below the earth's surface, to a bell that very efficiently transmits seismic waves like sound.

"California is young bedrock," he explained. "It's broken up ... like a cracked bell. You ring that, the waves don't go as far."

The question of whether Friday's quake was centered along a branch of the New Madrid zone or not is of more than academic interest. The area even now produces smaller, very regular quakes, and experts say it still has the potential to produce a quake that could devastate the region.

The Wabash faults have the potential to do the same, at least based on distant history, said Columbia University seismologist Won-Young Kim.

The strongest quake produced in recent history by the Wabash was a magnitude 5.3 in southern Illinois in 1968, but researchers have found evidence that 4,000 to 6,000 years ago, much stronger quakes shook the region, Kim said, as strong as magnitude 7.0 or more.

A similar quake is still possible, if the region is given time to build up enough energy, Kim said. But knowledge about the area is too thin to say whether that's likely, he added.

krisy
04-19-2008, 08:21 AM
Funniest thing,my alarm started going off at 5:20 a.m. yesterday and I hit snooze. It went off again at 5:30,hit snooze again,and again at 5:40. During none of these times did I feel this quake. A co worker tho,who lives one street behind me said that it woke her up out of bed. She said her windows rattled and her headboard shook. When I did wake up after the third snooze,I saw right away on t.v. that there had been a quake and people all over Ohio had felt it.

Not sure how I didn't!!!!

Kathianne
04-19-2008, 08:29 AM
Funniest thing,my alarm started going off at 5:20 a.m. yesterday and I hit snooze. It went off again at 5:30,hit snooze again,and again at 5:40. During none of these times did I feel this quake. A co worker tho,who lives one street behind me said that it woke her up out of bed. She said her windows rattled and her headboard shook. When I did wake up after the third snooze,I saw right away on t.v. that there had been a quake and people all over Ohio had felt it.

Not sure how I didn't!!!!

I think if I'd been sleeping, I'd not have noticed. What's weird is Thursday morning, both teachers remembered that I'd said that regarding the papers. I wonder if that was a precursor? My laptop had been 'asleep' so I don't know how it could have 'buzzed.' I'm thinking the desk it was on may have vibrated?

The AP article reminded me of the quakes in the 19th C. To change the course of the Miss. R. is no small amount of energy! I don't like thinking about quakes in IL. :laugh2:

krisy
04-19-2008, 08:41 AM
I probably would have been pretty startled if I would have woke up to this,considering this is only the third quake I can remember that we actually felt around here. My co worker said she woke her husband up and said..."eiter I'm going nuts or we just had an earthquake". Her daughter came out of her room a second later and confirmed for her that she wasn't nuts!!!

Gaffer
04-19-2008, 11:29 AM
I woke up that morning dreaming there was an earthquake. Then when everything seemed to be alright I went back to sleep. I checked the news in the morning when I got up and sure enough, there had been one. No one else in the family noticed it.

Trinity
04-19-2008, 03:47 PM
I woke up that morning dreaming there was an earthquake. Then when everything seemed to be alright I went back to sleep. I checked the news in the morning when I got up and sure enough, there had been one. No one else in the family noticed it.

Yeah but remember I have a tendency to sleep through earthquakes. Such as the one I slept through in California back in 86. Everybody but me felt it, and it woke them up.