PDA

View Full Version : A Year Ago Today...

Kathianne
04-19-2008, 08:13 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/19/AR2007041901150.html?nav=rss_business/special/5

Reid: U.S. Can't Win the War in Iraq

By ANNE FLAHERTY
The Associated Press
Thursday, April 19, 2007; 9:00 PM

WASHINGTON -- Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said Thursday the war in Iraq is "lost," triggering an angry backlash by Republicans, who said the top Democrat had turned his back on the troops....

red states rule
04-19-2008, 09:24 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/19/AR2007041901150.html?nav=rss_business/special/5

I am happy to report the troops ahve since give Harry a big ol' shitburger to eat

I hoep he enjoys every bite

midcan5
04-19-2008, 09:24 AM
And that changed?

Actually it is no longer a war - if it ever was one - and using that word to describe it just another example of the newspeak of the wingnuts.

red states rule
04-19-2008, 09:26 AM
And that changed?

Actually it is no longer a war - if it ever was one - and using that word to describe it just another example of the newspeak of the wingnuts.

Libs do hate any good news for America, it is such bad news for them

Kathianne
04-19-2008, 10:12 AM
And that changed?

Really? I assume compared to the 'news' you avail yourself to? I prefer to get a variety of sources, especially from those that actually spend time in Iraq:

http://www.weeklystandard.com/weblogs/TWSFP/2008/04/the_iraqi_army_can_hold_as_wel.asp

The Iraqi Army Can Hold, Too

Earlier this week, much hay was made when an Iraqi Army company deserted its position in Sadr City. The next day, the New York Times interviewed an Iraqi Army company commander, also from Sadr City, who left his unit to take leave and speculated he may not come back. In two days, the narrative for the Iraqi Army and U.S. military incursion is set: The Iraqi Army is falling apart.

Both of these stories get a feature-length report, while successes of the Iraqi Army are relegated to single paragraph throwaways. Buried in the April 16 story is the fact that an Iraqi company was rushed into Sadr City to take the place of the deserting company. In today’s New York Times, Michael Gordon writes about the wall being built to partition Sadr City. Buried in the article, we learn that the Mahdi Army assaulted a police station and the Iraqi forces were running low on ammunition. As the U.S. military prepared to reinforce the position, the Iraqi Army beat them to the punch:

The militias’ main effort on Thursday was focused on dislodging Iraqi forces from a police station. American advisers took up positions with the Iraqi unit.

As the fighting intensified and there were reports that militia fighters had closed to within 100 yards, Colonel Barnett moved tanks into position so they could rush to the Iraqis’ aid. Stryker vehicles also moved forward.

But two Iraqi T-72s and four other Iraqi armored vehicles arrived on the scene before the American tanks were needed. The Iraqi Army has rushed ammunition to Sadr City, including machine-gun rounds and rocket-propelled grenades to give its units more firepower and address complaints of shortages.

Moving armor into Sadr City while under fire is no small feat, particularly for the young Iraqi Army. The Iraqi Army outperformed their American betters on that day. Isn’t that worth a headline as well? There is certainly nothing wrong with reporting the defection of the Iraqi company on April 16, although the context of the story was seriously flawed. But when the Iraqi Army exceeds its expectations, that is news as well, and it should be treated in the same manner.

Posted by Bill Roggio on April 18, 2008 03:33 PM

A bit about Roggio:

http://www.longwarjournal.org/staff.php

Bill Roggio

Bill is the editor of The Long War Journal the president of Public Multimedia Inc., a nonprofit media organization with a mission to provide original and accurate reporting and analysis of the Long War, an Adjunct Fellow at the Foundation for the Defense of Democracies, and a contributer to the The Weekly Standard. His coverage includes strategic and operational issues relating to the war in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Somalia, Lebanon, and more extensively in Iraq, as well as al Qaeda's operations, tactics, and strategy.

Bill has embedded with the US Marine Corps, the US Army, the Iraqi Army, and Iraqi police in Iraq in 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2008, and with the Canadian Army in Afghanistan in 2006. His articles have been published in The National Review, The New York Post, The Toronto Times, and Die Weltwoche. He also presents regularly at the US Air Force's Contemporary Counterinsurgency Warfare School at Hulbert Field on the media and embedded reporting. Bill served as a signalman and infantryman in the US Army and the New Jersey National Guard from 1991 to 1997. Bill can be reached at billroggio@gmail.com.

Gaffer
04-19-2008, 10:54 AM
It's not truly a war in the sense of how its being handled. It's post war action. But at the same time I dare you to tell the soldiers they are not in a war situation. It's a combat zone. So war is a perfectly acceptable term to me.

midcan5
04-19-2008, 08:24 PM
Libs do hate any good news for America, it is such bad news for them

If anyone invaded and occupied America, yes, I'd be pissed too. You may want to ask an Iraqi that question.

Gaffer
04-19-2008, 08:36 PM
If anyone invaded and occupied America, yes, I'd be pissed too. You may want to ask an Iraqi that question.

Even if they came to remove Bush?

red states rule
04-20-2008, 06:16 AM
Even if they came to remove Bush?

He would join them then

midcan5
04-20-2008, 06:58 AM
He would join them then

That is the beauty of our system of government Bush will be gone soon. Let's not change that idea ever.

red states rule
04-20-2008, 07:00 AM
That is the beauty of our system of government Bush will be gone soon. Let's not change that idea ever.

Then moonbats like you will suffer from McCain Derangement Syndrome :laugh2:

You will have to find someone to direct your insane hatred toward