PDA

View Full Version : Maher 'Apologizes' to Pope by Suggesting He Should Be In Jail

red states rule
04-19-2008, 09:18 AM
Yep, this is typical of any libs apology

Maher 'Apologizes' to Pope by Suggesting He Should Be In Jail

Bill Maher on Friday night's "Real Time" made something crystal clear that conservatives have known for decades: Liberal means never having to say you're sorry.

Having on last Friday's program "stated that the Pope 'used to be a Nazi,'" Maher was supposed to apologize for his transgression.

Well, if the nonsense he uttered last evening is what liberals call an apology, it should act as a grander indictment as to what's wrong with the extreme-left in our nation (video embedded upper-right courtesy our friend Ms Underestimated):

Last week, I got into some trouble with the Catholic League, not the first time...Not my biggest fans...because I said in our little essay ending the show, I said, "The Pope," and I looked at it again, I looked at the words carefully, "used to be a Nazi." Okay, now first of all, it was a joke, okay? We were in a comedic context. I said "He used to be a Nazi, and he wears funny hats, and ladies, he's single." So, right away, we're in the context of a joke, okay, and used to. Okay, but, you know, you got me. The Pope was not a Nazi. When he was a teenager, he was in the Hitler Youth, which meant that he said the oath directly to Hitler and not to the Nazis, which is sorta worse!

Nice apology so far, wouldn't you agree? First, the typical liberal line "It's a joke," which is what we've seen the past few years anytime anybody on the left makes a senseless, insensitive statement.

Yet, no, even better, in his so-called apology, Maher is actually suggesting that a child in Nazi Germany saying an oath to Hitler is WORSE than BEING a Nazi. But it gets worse:

But, but wait a second, the thing that argues for their side of this is that, you know what, he was coerced into that. He was a teenager. I wouldn't blame any teen, he was a fourteen-year-old kid in Nazi Germany, of course he's going to do what they tell him to do. So, on that score, you know what my Catholic friends, I will never make the Pope is a Nazi joke again, because you're technically right, okay, and also because it distracts from the main point.

Wait for it!

And the main point I was making was that if the Pope instead of a religious figure was the CEO of a chain of nationwide daycare centers, who had thousands of employees who had been caught molesting children and then covering it up, he would have been in jail.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2008/04/19/maher-apologizes-pope-suggesting-he-should-be-jail

DragonStryk72
04-19-2008, 11:17 AM
So, basically, the best thing you could find to do with your time was look up the apology for a joke that likely got some laughs, and would never have been remembered later. Well that's fine, it's not like he ever makes fun of himself.... oh wait, no, he does. Well it's not like he ever makes fun of the liberal candidates.... oh wait, no, he does.

red states rule
04-19-2008, 11:29 AM
So, basically, the best thing you could find to do with your time was look up the apology for a joke that likely got some laughs, and would never have been remembered later. Well that's fine, it's not like he ever makes fun of himself.... oh wait, no, he does. Well it's not like he ever makes fun of the liberal candidates.... oh wait, no, he does.

A joke?

Sorry if I do not "get" liberal humor

He is the same jerk who said the 9-11 terrorists had more courage then then our troops

Wished Vp Cheney would die

stephanie
04-19-2008, 12:54 PM
Maher is not only ugly to look at and listen to..
he's a very ugly little man on the inside..

red states rule
04-19-2008, 12:57 PM
Maher is not only ugly to look at and listen to..
he's a very ugly little man on the inside..

I am surprsied HBO has not fired his ass. Just think if a conservative would have said similar things about a Muslim leader? Or a Jewish leader?

It is also sad to hear the laughs from his mostly liberal moonbat crowd

Gadget (fmr Marine)
04-19-2008, 05:06 PM
I am no fan of Maher's, but I do watch from time to time, because he usually has one or two very strong conservatives on the panel who get to state their position on the topic du jour.

I think it is important to let freedom of speech be just that....FREE. If you don't like it, don't watch, listen, or support the entities that do support him (HBO, etc)

I am no fan of religion, either, since it is the root of almost all lasting conflicts in world history. I really haven't paid much attention to the pope.....I think that he has taken a good first step, by at least acknowledging the sexual predators that have been hiding within the church, and protected, as well, I might add.

Maher's comedy edges up to the uncomfort zone of a lot of conservative Americans, and I do applaud him for that....because it makes us think, and challenges our own values, if you dare.....

But as far as his personal insults.....I really think that is class less, so to Bill Maher, I give your the single finger salute you deserve most of the time.....:fu:

Said1
04-19-2008, 07:43 PM
I bet his ratings went up and he really has no idea who the pope acutally is.

DragonStryk72
04-19-2008, 09:35 PM
A joke?

Sorry if I do not "get" liberal humor

He is the same jerk who said the 9-11 terrorists had more courage then then our troops

Wished Vp Cheney would die

Oh yes, because no conservative would ever say anything directly insulting about a liberal, not even in jest?

Whether the joke was good or not, it was still a joke.

Also, when did he say that terrorists had more courage than our troops? I've watched regularly since it started, and I don't remember that one.

And Cheney has been near death for long enough that, yeah, there are going to pot shots taken about the fact he's got one foot in the grave.

if you don't like the show, then just don't watch it, or clips of it.

Gadget (fmr Marine)
04-19-2008, 09:54 PM
Also, when did he say that terrorists had more courage than our troops? I've watched regularly since it started, and I don't remember that one.

Maher was fired from "Politically Incorrect" on ABC (I think) for the following quote. "We have been the cowards, lobbing cruise missiles from 2,000 miles away. That's cowardly. Staying in the airplane when it hits the building, say what you want about it, it's not cowardly."

Yurt
04-19-2008, 10:24 PM
Yep, this is typical of any libs apology

sounds just like MFM. his so-called apology, filled with so much dripping wet sarcarsm bullshit, is his version of an "apology" for "christ killer." in fact, he even brought it up again today....saying...ooooh, it really got to you. typical libs, full of garbage, even in an apology. kinda like obama giving the finger to hillary.

DragonStryk72
04-19-2008, 10:28 PM
Maher was fired from "Politically Incorrect" on ABC (I think) for the following quote. "We have been the cowards, lobbing cruise missiles from 2,000 miles away. That's cowardly. Staying in the airplane when it hits the building, say what you want about it, it's not cowardly."

hm, from a technical perspective, that's accurate. I mean, I remember my training from the Navy, it does not take a mass of courage to push a bunch of buttons, but yeah, killing yourself to get your enemy? Okay, I'll give the attackers that much. It's much the same as when troops would spit themselves on spears or lances to get one last stab at their opponent.

It is a horrible atrocity, but to be honest, yeah, I wouldn't be willing to go that far against my enemy, not without literally taking away everything I ever cared about.

I do see where it pissed people off though, but then, to a certain extent, that was the point. The show is taped live, so there are going to be some verbal FUBARs along the way.

red states rule
04-20-2008, 05:41 AM
Oh yes, because no conservative would ever say anything directly insulting about a liberal, not even in jest?

Whether the joke was good or not, it was still a joke.

And Cheney has been near death for long enough that, yeah, there are going to pot shots taken about the fact he's got one foot in the grave.

if you don't like the show, then just don't watch it, or clips of it.

I do not recall any conservatives saying such crap about a lib. When Cheney told Sen Lehey to go fuck himself, the liberal media had a shit fit. Here they are silent

Libs have a clear set of double standards, which you seem to approve of/ It is not a joke - it is a smear.

If a conservative said the same things about Muslims, you would be having a cow

They do in Farnce

Bridget Bardot faces fifth “thought crimes” prosecution in France.
CofCC.org News Team

French icon faces heavy fines and possible jail time for honest statement about Muslim immigrants. This is the fifth time Bridget Bardot has been prosecuted under France’s Orwellian “thought crimes” laws.

“I am fed up with being under the thumb of this population [Muslim immigrants] which is destroying us, destroying our country and imposing its acts,” Bardot said.

Prosecutors asked that the Paris court hand the 73-year-old former sex symbol a two-month suspended prison sentence and fine her 15,000 euros ($23,760) for saying the Muslim community was “destroying our country and imposing its acts”.

Prosecutor Anne de Fontette told the court she was seeking a tougher sentence than usual, adding: “I am a little tired of prosecuting Mrs Bardot.”

http://cofcc.org/?p=1407

Where is the "hate" here?

Said1
04-20-2008, 11:43 AM
Libs have a clear set of double standards, which you seem to approve of/ It is not a joke - it is a smear.

Both sides have a clear set of double standards. It's not rocket science.

red states rule
04-20-2008, 11:49 AM
Both sides have a clear set of double standards. It's not rocket science.

Care to give some examples?

Said1
04-20-2008, 11:53 AM
Care to give some examples?

Nope. Political games are rudimentary in nature. Like I said, it's not rocket science.

red states rule
04-20-2008, 11:55 AM
Nope. Political games are rudimentary in nature. Like I said, it's not rocket science.

So you post how conservatives have double standards, but you can't list any?

OK

Said1
04-20-2008, 12:00 PM
So you post how conservatives have double standards, but you can't list any?

OK

Thanks for understanding. I really don't care to waste much time on that issue. Feel free to post link after link proving me wrong, though. But be warned, I probably won't read them. :laugh2:

red states rule
04-20-2008, 12:01 PM
Thanks for understanding. I really don't care to waste much time on that issue. Feel free to post link after link proving me wrong, though. But be warned, I probably won't read them. :laugh2:

That does not surprise me at all

You make a claim then can't prove it. So be it

Said1
04-20-2008, 12:04 PM
That does not surprise me at all

You make a claim then can't prove it. So be it

Yes. Typical Lib. When will we ever learn to articulate and back up our claims bettr? Goddamed illiterute bunch iffen ya ask me. I'm just glad we all got a gold star - I still have it haning on my frige...all nicotine stained and everytin.

red states rule
04-20-2008, 12:06 PM
Yes. Typical Lib. When will we ever learn to articulate and back up our claims bettr? Goddamed illierute bunch iffen ya ask me. I'm just glad we all got a gold star - I still have it haning on my frige...all nicotine stained and everytin.

Where did I call you a lib?

Are you confessing :laugh2:

You are the one who made a claim, and not providing any examples

Said1
04-20-2008, 12:15 PM
Where did I call you a lib?

Are you confessing :laugh2:

You are the one who made a claim, and not providing any examples

If you weren't insinuating that, then I don't know what you mean.

Oh, I forgot. I don't defend my claims when it comes to you silmply for the fact that you, like a few others, you do not articulate your point with your own words. You post links with a quick one sentance quibble. Maybe that's why you're not surprised at my answser. :laugh2:

Either way, being Canadian makes me Liberal by default. I've never denied that. :laugh2:

Now I'm off. Unless you care to discuss Location Quotients and garbage like that. :(

red states rule
04-20-2008, 12:20 PM
If you weren't insinuating that, then I don't know what you mean.

Oh, I forgot. I don't defend my claims when it comes to you silmply for the fact that you, like a few others, you do not articulate your point with your own words. You post links with a quick one sentance quibble. Maybe that's why you're not surprised at my answser. :laugh2:

Either way, being Canadian makes me Liberal by default. I've never denied that. :laugh2:

Now I'm off. Unless you care to discuss Location Quotients and garbage like that. :(

Sorry if examples of liberal double standards offend you

OK I am not really sorry

gabosaurus
04-20-2008, 05:44 PM
More total baseless crap from RSR, "backed up" (as always) by a right-wing blog posting.

I expect a response within a couple of minutes, since RSR apparently monitors this board 24/7.

red states rule
04-20-2008, 06:00 PM
More total baseless crap from RSR, "backed up" (as always) by a right-wing blog posting.

I expect a response within a couple of minutes, since RSR apparently monitors this board 24/7.

So do you have a different "apology" to post?

I know those "right wing blogs" bug you

One of them shut down one of your own threads :laugh2:

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?t=13654

gabosaurus
04-20-2008, 06:02 PM
It took you six minutes to respond! You are falling behind! :laugh2:

red states rule
04-20-2008, 06:03 PM
It took you six minutes to respond! You are falling behind! :laugh2:

You must have went to public school

It was 16 min :laugh2:

No comment on the early death of your thread showing Barry way ahead of McCain?

gabosaurus
04-20-2008, 06:42 PM
Unlike you, I have occasionally have work to do and a family to attend to. Must be nice to have nothing to worry about except posting on this board.

red states rule
04-20-2008, 06:45 PM
Unlike you, I have occasionally have work to do and a family to attend to. Must be nice to have nothing to worry about except posting on this board.

Nice duck from my question, and changing the subject. You have the liberal debate skills down pat

gabosaurus
04-20-2008, 06:49 PM
No comment on the early death of your thread showing Barry way ahead of McCain?

I responded to your question. I am unable to sit here and debate topics all day, unlike you.
It is you that so elaborately ducks questions. But then, if I was able to sit on my butt and do nothing but post on message boards, I suppose I would have that skill down as well.

red states rule
04-20-2008, 06:50 PM
I responded to your question. I am unable to sit here and debate topics all day, unlike you.
It is you that so elaborately ducks questions. But then, if I was able to sit on my butt and do nothing but post on message boards, I suppose I would have that skill down as well.

Where did you comment on the early death on your own thread? Those damn pesky facts keep getting in your way Gabby