PDA

View Full Version : VP's For McCain?

NATO AIR
04-19-2008, 03:54 PM
Any preferences or ideas?

I like Republican Gov. Sanford from SC a lot. Fiscal conservative to a T who is huge on school choice and comfortably addresses social issues (like immigration or race) without falling into easy conservative or liberal talking points.

Plus, he has transformed SC's traditionally weak governor's office into an instrument of change by going over the heads of the legislature and government straight to the people, cutting obscene or duplicate spending and offices and using well-honed diplomacy and negotiation to compromise and at least get some of his agenda passed.

PostmodernProphet
04-19-2008, 04:54 PM
but is SC an at risk state?......there are between 11 and 17 "swing" states depending on whose polls you believe.....you need a VP that can deliver at least one signficant one.....I have heard good things about the governor of Minnesota.....

82Marine89
04-19-2008, 08:43 PM
Any preferences or ideas?

I like Republican Gov. Sanford from SC a lot. Fiscal conservative to a T who is huge on school choice and comfortably addresses social issues (like immigration or race) without falling into easy conservative or liberal talking points.

Plus, he has transformed SC's traditionally weak governor's office into an instrument of change by going over the heads of the legislature and government straight to the people, cutting obscene or duplicate spending and offices and using well-honed diplomacy and negotiation to compromise and at least get some of his agenda passed.

First and foremost, it sucks that McAmnesty is the pubbies choice. Second, he would be politically nuetered if he were the veep. The only thing that he has real power over is being a tie breaker.

NATO AIR
04-19-2008, 09:12 PM
but is SC an at risk state?......there are between 11 and 17 "swing" states depending on whose polls you believe.....you need a VP that can deliver at least one signficant one.....I have heard good things about the governor of Minnesota.....

Not a swing state obviously but he's a conservative with potential broad appeal and none of the drawbacks of Romney.

I hope he wouldn't be politically neutered but that is a real probability... beats the hell out of Romney or Rice...

I hear conflicting things about the MN governor. We'll see though.

PostmodernProphet
04-19-2008, 09:17 PM
maybe New York is a swing state.....

as of April 18

the Marist College poll shows Clinton leading McCain 48% to 46%....in New York....

http://www.electoral-vote.com/evp2008/Clinton/Maps/Apr18.html

NATO AIR
04-20-2008, 09:29 AM
maybe New York is a swing state.....

as of April 18

the Marist College poll shows Clinton leading McCain 48% to 46%....in New York....

http://www.electoral-vote.com/evp2008/Clinton/Maps/Apr18.html

Much as I want to believe these polls are meaningless right now because we don't know how the Dems will shake out... how much of the party hemorrhages.. I think the media (which is pro-McCain, as it was in 2000) is playing this up too much but we shall see by August or so.

red states rule
04-20-2008, 09:32 AM
Much as I want to believe these polls are meaningless right now because we don't know how the Dems will shake out... how much of the party hemorrhages.. I think the media (which is pro-McCain, as it was in 2000) is playing this up too much but we shall see by August or so.

Media for McCAin? What are you smoking?

The liberal media is in the tank for Obama - a blind man can see it

Who knows who mcCain will choose. As long as the Dems keep ripping each other to pieces, it will only help McCain

NATO AIR
04-20-2008, 08:57 PM
Media for McCAin? What are you smoking?

The liberal media is in the tank for Obama - a blind man can see it

Who knows who mcCain will choose. As long as the Dems keep ripping each other to pieces, it will only help McCain

They like McCain.. a lot. Gimme a break.. Obama the aloof a-hole versus McCain "Mac", the guy who'll joke with them and answer all their questions, etc. etc. Who got the standing ovation at the journalists convention last week? It sure wasn't Obama... it certainly was McCain.

Yurt
04-20-2008, 09:31 PM
nevadamedic

04-21-2008, 01:10 AM
Honestly, i dont really care. I know it may sound odd coming from me. But i just cant find the energy to care. I didnt want McCain to win the nomination (Im still not voting for him tuesday. I figure if i have to hold my nose in the election I can atleast vote for someone else in the primary).

The VP just really doesnt matter to me right now. Maybe when he makes the choice ill be interested. I am just tired of speculating on it. Not saying you guys cant or shouldnt. I am just tired of being wrong in my speculations. I am not a political expert. Ive only campaigned in one election and honestly i didnt even get a chance to do much there.

This is why im getting involved in local politics. I might be able to make an actual difference here.

red states rule
04-21-2008, 08:16 AM
They like McCain.. a lot. Gimme a break.. Obama the aloof a-hole versus McCain "Mac", the guy who'll joke with them and answer all their questions, etc. etc. Who got the standing ovation at the journalists convention last week? It sure wasn't Obama... it certainly was McCain.

Have you seen the reaction of the liberal media over Obama being asked hard questions, and being put on the spot?

glockmail
04-21-2008, 08:58 AM
I think Rice would enhance McCain's electability over whichever Democrat wins the nomination.

red states rule
04-21-2008, 09:01 AM
I think Rice would enhance McCain's electability over whichever Democrat wins the nomination.

Condi would be a great pick

So would Rick Santorum

Pale Rider
04-21-2008, 10:06 AM
nevadamedic
......... :lol: ........ :laugh:

Honestly, i dont really care.
Yup. Let 'em pick whoever. He's not getting my vote anyway. Third party this year, for the first time in my life, and quite possibly, for the rest of my life if the repubs keep pushing RINO's at us.

red states rule
04-21-2008, 10:09 AM
......... :lol: ........ :laugh:

Yup. Let 'em pick whoever. He's not getting my vote anyway. Third party this year, for the first time in my life, and quite possibly, for the rest of my life if the repubs keep pushing RINO's at us.

It is slim pickings this year PR

Barry, Hilary, and McCain -more like Moe, Larry, and Curley