PDA

View Full Version : Lobbyists find ways to skirt new gift-ban law

82Marine89
04-20-2008, 11:50 AM
Some things never change.

WASHINGTON – The optimistically named Honest Leadership and Open Government Act of 2007 was supposed to prevent lobbyists from securing undue influence by taking members of Congress to intimate dinners at fancy restaurants.

But former Sen. John Breaux, D-La., said lobbyists had already come up with a way around the new law. They can make a political contribution to a member of Congress and then have the member pay for the meal.

“If we call it a campaign contribution, that makes it legal,” Breaux said. “I can't buy a $20 breakfast for a senator whom I've known for years, but I can give him a $1,000 campaign contribution.”
Starting tomorrow, Washington lobbyists must file detailed quarterly reports of their activities. In recent weeks, they have been hiring lawyers and going to seminars to decipher the law, passed in response to scandals involving the lobbyist Jack Abramoff.

But even as they try to figure out what the law requires, lobbyists are working to preserve the access and influence they have in Congress and at federal agencies.

Two top lobbyists, Tony and Heather Podesta, have brought in chefs from the famed California restaurant Chez Panisse to prepare fundraising dinners at their home for two Democratic senators, Barbara Boxer of California and Tom Harkin of Iowa.

Lawmakers cannot accept free tickets from a lobbyist for a sports event, but the lobbyist can make a campaign contribution worth far more than the ticket.

The campaign committee for Rep. John Boehner of Ohio, the House Republican leader, is holding a fundraiser with him at the new Washington Nationals baseball stadium Thursday. The suggested contribution is $5,000 for political action committees and $1,500 for individuals.

Jan Witold Baran, a Republican expert on election law and government ethics, said, “One of the consequences of the Draconian gift ban is to drive more and more social interaction between lobbyists and congressional officials into campaign fundraising, which is not subject to most of the gift rules.”

Click for full text... (http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20080420/news_1n20lobbyist.html)