PDA

View Full Version : liberal education creates selfish kids...

manu1959
02-27-2007, 12:09 PM
i am stunned........i can't believe this......a little tag and dodge ball should fix this....oh and actual grades.....

http://www.redorbit.com/news/health/854299/study_college_students_more_narcissistic/index.html

Today's college students are more narcissistic and self-centered than their predecessors, according to a comprehensive new study by five psychologists who worry that the trend could be harmful to personal relationships and American society.

"We need to stop endlessly repeating 'You're special' and having children repeat that back," said the study's lead author, Professor Jean Twenge of San Diego State University. "Kids are self-centered enough already."

darin
02-27-2007, 12:14 PM
ha :) That should NOT shock anybody. :)

Mr. P
02-27-2007, 12:17 PM
ha :) That should NOT shock anybody. :)

Shocks me, coming from a San Diego State University Professor.
Hope she has tenure.

darin
02-27-2007, 12:17 PM
Yet students, while acknowledging some legitimacy to such findings, don't necessarily accept negative generalizations about their generation.

OF COURSE they don't - they are too narcissistic to admit they could have a fault or faults.

lol :)

mrg666
02-27-2007, 12:30 PM
Love him or hate him, he sure hits the nail on the head with this! To anyone with kids of any age, here's some advice.

Bill Gates recently gave a speech at a High School about 11 things they did not and will not learn in school. He talks about how feel-good, politically correct teachings created a generation of kids with no concept of reality and how this concept set them up for failure in the real world.

Rule1: Life is not fair - get used to it!

Rule2: The world won't care about your self-esteem. The world will expect you to accomplish something BEFORE you feel good about yourself.

Rule3: You will NOT make $60,000 a year right out of high school. You won't be a vice-president with a car phone until you earn both.

Rule 4 : If you think your teacher is tough, wait till you get a boss.

Rule 5: Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your Grandparents had a different word for burger flipping: they called it opportunity.

Rule6: If you mess up, it's not your parents' fault, so don't whine about your mistakes, learn from them.

Rule 7: Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you thought you were.

So before you save the rain forest from the parasites of your parent's generation, try delousing the closet in your own room.

Rule 8: Your school may have done away with winners and losers, but life HAS NOT. In some schools, they have abolished failing grades and they'll give you as MANY TIMES as you want to get the right answer. This doesn't bear the slightest resemblance to ANYTHING in real life.

Rule 9: Life is not divided into semesters. You don't get summers off and very few employers are interested in helping you FIND YOURSELF. Do that on your own time.

Rule 10: Television is NOT real life. In real life people actually have to leave the coffee shop and go to jobs.
Rule 11: Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.

If you agree, pass it on. If you can read this - Thank a teacher!

If you are reading it in English-

Thank a soldier!

Mr. P
02-27-2007, 12:36 PM
Love him or hate him, he sure hits the nail on the head with this! To anyone with kids of any age, here's some advice.

Bill Gates recently gave a speech at a High School about 11 things they did not and will not learn in school. He talks about how feel-good, politically correct teachings created a generation of kids with no concept of reality and how this concept set them up for failure in the real world.

Rule1: Life is not fair - get used to it!

Rule2: The world won't care about your self-esteem. The world will expect you to accomplish something BEFORE you feel good about yourself.

Rule3: You will NOT make $60,000 a year right out of high school. You won't be a vice-president with a car phone until you earn both.

Rule 4 : If you think your teacher is tough, wait till you get a boss.

Rule 5: Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your Grandparents had a different word for burger flipping: they called it opportunity.

Rule6: If you mess up, it's not your parents' fault, so don't whine about your mistakes, learn from them.

Rule 7: Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you thought you were.

So before you save the rain forest from the parasites of your parent's generation, try delousing the closet in your own room.

Rule 8: Your school may have done away with winners and losers, but life HAS NOT. In some schools, they have abolished failing grades and they'll give you as MANY TIMES as you want to get the right answer. This doesn't bear the slightest resemblance to ANYTHING in real life.

Rule 9: Life is not divided into semesters. You don't get summers off and very few employers are interested in helping you FIND YOURSELF. Do that on your own time.

Rule 10: Television is NOT real life. In real life people actually have to leave the coffee shop and go to jobs.
Rule 11: Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.

If you agree, pass it on. If you can read this - Thank a teacher!

If you are reading it in English-

Thank a soldier!

Good stuff but it wasn't from Gates.

http://www.snopes.com/language/document/liferule.htm

mrg666
02-27-2007, 12:41 PM
hey thanks for that i always thought it bg
eh and the last 3 were omitted
Rule No. 12: Smoking does not make you look cool. It makes you look moronic. Next time you're out cruising, watch an 11-year-old with a butt in his mouth. That's what you look like to anyone over 20. Ditto for "expressing yourself" with purple hair and/or pierced body parts.
Rule No. 13: You are not immortal. (See Rule No. 12.) If you are under the impression that living fast, dying young and leaving a beautiful corpse is romantic, you obviously haven't seen one of your peers at room temperature lately.

Rule No. 14: Enjoy this while you can. Sure parents are a pain, school's a bother, and life is depressing. But someday you'll realize how wonderful it was to be a kid. Maybe you should start now. You're welcome.

Hobbit
02-27-2007, 01:06 PM
Another thing about smoking. It is a 'tail' indicator for any halfway intelligent guy. If you see a girl smoking, you know it's going to be easy to get her to sleep with you. If you're a parent, and your daughter comes home from the prom smelling like an ash tray, it will be the second time she has taken off her prom dress that night.

manu1959
02-27-2007, 02:42 PM
Another thing about smoking. It is a 'tail' indicator for any halfway intelligent guy. If you see a girl smoking, you know it's going to be easy to get her to sleep with you. If you're a parent, and your daughter comes home from the prom smelling like an ash tray, it will be the second time she has taken off her prom dress that night.

the prom girls i knew that smoked just pulled up the skirt....

Yurt
02-27-2007, 08:52 PM
It wasn't until post bachelors did I come across republican POV. We were taught socractic, so the discussions were lively. I was amazed at how powerful and "right" many of the opposing views were. I admit, in undergrad I did not seek out anything political, wasn't my time.

I then found USMB and realized that there was a whole new understanding to be had. DebatePolicy continues the tradition of rehabilitating years of brainwash and downright fascism. I think liberal is too weak a word, university (most) are pure fascist. I know many people who have had their grades dropped because of POVs, though hard to prove when only ONE freakin exam makes your grade.

:salute:

shattered
02-27-2007, 10:57 PM
Another thing about smoking. <b>It is a 'tail' indicator for any halfway intelligent guy. If you see a girl smoking, you know it's going to be easy to get her to sleep with you.</b> If you're a parent, and your daughter comes home from the prom smelling like an ash tray, it will be the second time she has taken off her prom dress that night.

No offense, but..where the fuck did you come up with that load of complete bullshit?????

Hobbit
02-27-2007, 11:58 PM
No offense, but..where the fuck did you come up with that load of complete bullshit?????

Other than the fact that it's the truth? Maybe back in the day, it was false, but now, at least 9 out of 10 young girls who smoke are about as loose as a size 16 on Callista Flockhart.

Nienna
02-28-2007, 09:36 AM
My daughter has a vocabulary test today. It's the second time she has taken this test. She got 100% the first time around, but many of the kids in the class "didn't do well," so the whole class gets to retake it. The teacher will record the better of the two grades. This isn't a test in which some of the questions were worded in a misleading fashion, or there was some other problem with the test. It is a straightforward vocabulary test, MULTIPLE CHOICE, at that! In Catholic school, we used to have to write out the definitions.

This happens often. One teacher explained that my child didn't have to worry about failing one test, because her practice was to drop the student's FOUR lowest grades from the grade book before computing the average. You should have seen the teacher's expression when I said that I was truly concerned with my daughter's understanding of the material. She had no response! That explains why, in third grade when Abbie was learning to multiply (Note: Nothing so archaic as the Times Tables is used these days!), she managed to get a "B" in math, even thought she did not know half her multiplication facts. If I had not been going through her work WITH her, I would never have known that she was struggling in this area. Her grades did not reflect the fact!

:blowup:

My point in this rant was to agree that liberal education (and educatORS) make kids think they deserve good grades even if they don't do the work.

shattered
02-28-2007, 09:36 AM
Other than the fact that it's the truth? Maybe back in the day, it was false, but now, at least 9 out of 10 young girls who smoke are about as loose as a size 16 on Callista Flockhart.

"Back in the day"? You're digging a hole, m'dear. Either you've just called all women tramps, or you just called them old. Which is it? :D

For your information, I am neither old (still 29, dammit), nor a tramp.. At the age of **, I can STILL count on one hand the number of people I've chosen to sleep with, and smoking certainly played no part in that.

shattered
02-28-2007, 09:39 AM
My daughter has a vocabulary test today. It's the second time she has taken this test. She got 100% the first time around, but many of the kids in the class "didn't do well," so the whole class gets to retake it. The teacher will record the better of the two grades. This isn't a test in which some of the questions were worded in a misleading fashion, or there was some other problem with the test. It is a straightforward vocabulary test, MULTIPLE CHOICE, at that! In Catholic school, we used to have to write out the definitions.

This happens often. One teacher explained that my child didn't have to worry about failing one test, because her practice was to drop the student's FOUR lowest grades from the grade book before computing the average. That explains why, in third grade when Abbie was learning to multiply (Note: Nothing so archaic as the Times Tables is used these days!), she managed to get a "B" in math, even thought she did not know half her multiplication facts. If I had not been going through her work WITH her, I would never have known that she was struggling in this area. Her grades did not reflect the fact!

:blowup:

Wow.. Back when I was in school, what you got is what you GOT. Didn't like it? Suck it up, stay home, and STUDY. Need help? Stay after school and see a teacher, or take an after-school study hall.

Sheesh.

Nienna
02-28-2007, 09:47 AM
Wow.. Back when I was in school, what you got is what you GOT. Didn't like it? Suck it up, stay home, and STUDY. Need help? Stay after school and see a teacher, or take an after-school study hall.

Sheesh.

Yeah, these days, they are (SERIOUSLY) NOT ALLOWED to bring their books home. The students might LOSE them! And those poor little kids can't possibly be RESPONSIBLE for their school books. My daughter had surgery last year, so she missed a bunch of school. Before she got her tutor, I had to ask several times that her teacher send her text books home to her. I was always refused. Only after I had gone to the principal, and PROMISED the teacher that I would personally be responsible for her text books, was I finally allowed to bring them home.

However, through all this, there was no fear that Abbie would FAIL the grade. No, the teacher would still have passed her.

My POV: Homework is discouraged (we have a no-homework policy in our primary school), and allowing parents to see and understand the schoolwork is FEARED.

shattered
02-28-2007, 09:52 AM
Yeah, these days, they are (SERIOUSLY) NOT ALLOWED to bring their books home. The students might LOSE them! And those poor little kids can't possibly be RESPONSIBLE for their school books. My daughter had surgery last year, so she missed a bunch of school. Before she got her tutor, I had to ask several times that her teacher send her text books home to her. I was always refused. Only after I had gone to the principal, and PROMISED the teacher that I would personally be responsible for her text books, was I finally allowed to bring them home.

However, through all this, there was no fear that Abbie would FAIL the grade. No, the teacher would still have passed her.

My POV: Homework is discouraged (we have a no-homework policy in our primary school), and allowing parents to see and understand the schoolwork is FEARED.

Oh dear... My how things have changed.. Your books were your responsibility.. If the school got them back at the end of the year in much worse condition than they gave them to you, you simply had to pay for them. And homework? Oh, plenty.